What you wear on your feet.

I started playing barefoot about 10 years ago (I've been playing for about 30), and I really like the way it feels. In the winter I'll play in my socks, but now playing in shoes feels really uncomfortable to me. It's a bit ironic for me because I used to poke fun at a drummer friend of mine who has always played barefooted. He would always say, "try it.....you'll like it....".

Well, I did and I do! :)

I usually play with my standard running shoes, good grip and good controll. At home on the electric kit, I play in my socks. Only difference is that my foot-soles feel sore.

I haven't really ever take notice of what shoes I play in, although I only own 2 pairs of trainers and their both basically the same, Addidas StarClassics and Stan Smiths (only own because of an unfortunate 'planning' in the lack of and finding myself in Bucharest with a pair of flipflops) I have them laced the same, i.e. nice and loose so I can just slip them on and off.

I was hoping someone here would have a story of how a particular shoe makes it possible to snap out the triples and duples by just thinking about it, but alas I must instead address my weak technique. : ^ (

I've played in all kinds of stuff, and the problem is more the engine than anything else. I think it's more comfortable to play in running sneaks, because it's more comfortable to do just about anything in running sneaks. Your mileage may vary.

I was hoping someone here would have a story of how a particular shoe makes it possible to snap out the triples and duples by just thinking about it, but alas I must instead address my weak technique. : ^ (

I've played in all kinds of stuff, and the problem is more the engine than anything else. I think it's more comfortable to play in running sneaks, because it's more comfortable to do just about anything in running sneaks. Your mileage may vary.

I agree that it's probably more a technique thing but if you have really small pedals then you may find yourself better off not wearing any shoes w/s/e. That's what i've started doing and it's a lot easier on standard DW5000s.

I haven't really ever take notice of what shoes I play in, although I only own 2 pairs of trainers and their both basically the same, Addidas StarClassics...
You wouldn't happen to have a matching kit, would you?
(http://instantrimshot.com/)

But seriously, I play in Pumas, I don't even know the make or model. I believe they're indoor soccer models, so they're nice and streamlined, real form-fitting to my foot. Take out all the excess clunkiness, y'know?
Doesn't hurt that they're a good looking white either ;)

I do some gigs that require dress shoes; for those I found a style made by Aldo that have a flat sole and don't have an extended front (as many cool dress shoes have these days).

I recently made the purchase of some extended-toe dress shoes without taking into account the fact that they would throw off my foot's center of balance on the bass pedal. After a few gigs I got used to them, though. This just goes to show me that aesthetics should take a back seat to comfort!

Converse_all-stars.jpg

Same here, High Tops always. I buy a new pair every year.

Converse.

Like your ideas,had to get rid of my normall trainers, seeing as they stank so much, and my feet would smell of a gig.

So now i have gone out and bought some high top Converse hi tops as well, just got to break them in now.

well i got a pair of climbing shoes to play the drums, intersting stick, but to be honest ive not given them much of a go

Climbing shoes?!?

Those must stick to the pedals like its their job.

For me I found that a nicely worn pair of skateboarding shoes is the best.

CONDOMS.

There should be no slip ups or mistakes wearing these, and there should be enough lubrication on them for your feet to slide adiquattly.

It does what says on the tin.

These water shoes that I found on-line. Nice and light. Can wear with or without socks, although I wear those ankle socks with them. $20.00 bucks. Not to sticky, and not to slippy.

Attachments

• water shoes.jpg
    water shoes.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 681
Puma Speed Cats are good too. I saw Thomas Lang wearing them in his Creative Control DVD, so I tried them. Light, and thin soles. I found out that they were made for race car drivers, who need to feel connected to their pedals, so I thought "HMMM, maybe good for drum pedals too".

These days, if I'm not wearing Speed Cats, then I just use my everyday Nike's.

Attachments

• 1_22932_FS.jpg
    1_22932_FS.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 574
I like Converse All Stars the best. Thin sole, they grip the pedals just right. Other than for drumming, they are terrible shoes, though. No arch support, and cold.

Back