Lurked long enough #2 - my restoration projects

Drumjinx

Hello
This will be my first post. I have lurked around here for a while now, but thought it was time to introduce myself. I did the Q&A below.
I first became aware of this forum when I met Bernhard and Thomas at the DrumSmith pre-NAMM dinner last year. We sat together at a table and introduced our self's. My wife Lisa was working for Drummer World at the time selling advertising. Thomas was telling me about the forum and that I should check it out. I did lurk a bit at the time, but never posted.
More recently though, it was "Mendozart" that brought my attention back to this forum. He had posted some pictures of one of my kits in a thread about a restoration on a Ludwig Blue Oyster Pearl kit. I started checking out the rest of the site and decided to join in the fun.
I will post a few of my restoration projects, as that is where my passion is these days.
My focus has been 1970's Blaemire fiberglass kits, but more recently, I have been working on Ludwig, and a Blaemire/Ludwig hybrid.
Glad to be here....and I hope to be posting more soon.
Jerry

BTW- I also posted this on the introduction page just to make sure I was doing this in the correct way.

Attachments

• DW1.jpg
    DW1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • DW2.jpg
    DW2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,441
  • DW3.jpg
    DW3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,373
  • DW4.jpg
    DW4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,377
Re: Lurked long enough #2

Hi Jerry

What a nice surprise - of course i remember. How are you doing?

Then you worked or helped Ronn....and Lisa is such a nice lovely person.

Unfortunately, time was not really ready yet then for our project.

Please enjoy your stay at our forum and hopefully we meet soon again. All the best greetings also to Lisa and your drummer son...

Bernhard

That first picture is totally Zen. Love it. Nice kits all 'round.

Welcome to the forum.

:)

...and your drummer son...

Man that kid must be lucky if he gets to play all these beautiful kits! Are those cymbals paistes? Oh yeah welcome to the forum.

Love the Blaemire kit. I had one of their kick drums back in 1975. Welcome to Drummerworld.

Hi Jerry

What a nice surprise - of course i remember. How are you doing?

Then you worked or helped Ronn....and Lisa is such a nice lovely person.

Unfortunately, time was not really ready yet then for our project.

Please enjoy your stay at our forum and hopefully we meet soon again. All the best greetings also to Lisa and your drummer son...

Bernhard
Thanks Bernhard....
Lisa and I are both doing well....she says to say hi. I hope to see you at NAMM again this year, I will be working Ronn's booth again. Also glad to hear that you are doing well....
I look forward to learning all that I can here as well as interacting.
I will tell Lisa and Collin that you send greetings
Jerry

That first picture is totally Zen. Love it. Nice kits all 'round.

Welcome to the forum.

:)
Thanks.....here is an overhead of the set up.

Attachments

• Blaemiresickness 013 (Medium).jpg
    Blaemiresickness 013 (Medium).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,336

The Blaemire's are so ahead of their time. Other than the mounts, I wouldn't have thought those would've been made any more than ten years ago. Fantastic.

Welcome! As seen in MODERN DRUMMER...

Restoration threads ROCK!!! Excellent work all around!

BTW:I s that a GMS or Dunnett kit?

Last edited:

Welcome! As seen in MODERN DRUMMER...

Restoration threads ROCK!!! Excellent work all around!

BTW:I s that a GMS or Dunnett kit?
You are correct trkdrmr...the Blaemire kit was in MD in Feb 07 and is also in the current issue of Classic Drummer.
The Titanium kit has Dunnett Ti shells and GMS hardware. It once belonged to Mario Calire. It was built for him by Ronn Dunnet, when he was with GMS. When Mario switched over to Ludwig, he sold the kit to me. I have since added the 14X14 floor tom and the 4.5X14 snare drum, which were not part of his original set up.

Hello & Welcome,

Thank you for posting those AWESOME photos!
They Look Beautiful... i'm drooling all over my pc.

Best,
Chazz

You are correct trkdrmr...the Blaemire kit was in MD in Feb 07 and is also in the current issue of Classic Drummer.
The Titanium kit has Dunnett Ti shells and GMS hardware. It once belonged to Mario Calire. It was built for him by Ronn Dunnet, when he was with GMS. When Mario switched over to Ludwig, he sold the kit to me. I have since added the 14X14 floor tom and the 4.5X14 snare drum, which were not part of his original set up.

Now how do I not remember that issue? Now I need to go back and look it up :)

Now how do I not remember that issue? Now I need to go back and look it up :)

It's on the last page "kit o' the month"

I remember that he lacked hoops for the kick drums and they were made for him recently.

He has one heck of a unique collection!

I'd like to hear how the kit sounds, along with that Titanium kit.

It's on the last page "kit o' the month"

I remember that he lacked hoops for the kick drums and they were made for him recently.

He has one heck of a unique collection!

I'd like to hear how the kit sounds, along with that Titanium kit.

Oh, I know it's in the back, I just couldnt remember it, lol :)

Welcome!

Restoration threads ROCK!!!
I agree....I love to see kits that have been brought back from the dead.
Here are some before pics of three of these kits.
#1-Blue Oyster Pearl (3 pics)
#2-Blaemire/Ludwig hybrid (2 pics)
#3-Blamire kit (the original group of shells....snares,bass, and 8"tom added later)(2 pics)

Attachments

• Bla-2 (Custom).JPG
    Bla-2 (Custom).JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Bla-1 (Custom).JPG
    Bla-1 (Custom).JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Mod-2 (Custom).jpg
    Mod-2 (Custom).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Mod-1 (Custom).jpg
    Mod-1 (Custom).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Blue Oyster 3 (Custom).jpg
    Blue Oyster 3 (Custom).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Blue Oyster 2 (Custom).jpg
    Blue Oyster 2 (Custom).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • Blue Oyster 1 (Custom).jpg
    Blue Oyster 1 (Custom).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,273
  • DSC05156 (Custom).JPG
    DSC05156 (Custom).JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,263

WOW!!!

You have the right gear to do this with! No wonder you could get the best results!

Thanks for posting those pics!

Note to self: get an industrial roller...

Man that kid must be lucky if he gets to play all these beautiful kits! Are those cymbals paistes? Oh yeah welcome to the forum.
My son has two kits of his own. He started playing when he was four, and he had a small kit that fit him, but when he got tall enough to sit at my kits.....it was time for him to have a full size kit. I did it more out for the preservation of my kits than anything else. He sits at mine once in a while, but prefers his own set up.

Yes those are Paiste cymbals (Signature) on the Blaemire kit. The Ti kit is set up with mostly Paiste (Dark Energy) cymbals, with a Sabian Fierce crash (19), and a set of Zidjian Sound Lab 12" X-hats.

Back