The "Jimi Hendrix of drums"

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I came across a quote where someone described a particular drummer as "the Jimi Hendrix of the drums" and I thought that was a great comparison.

Care to guess which drummer the person was referring to? :)

Mitch Mitchell? ;-)

If it were a 60's rock drummer, I'd guess Keith Moon because he was so free, powerful and unique.

Or it could be Tony Williams because I read an interview where he said he was "heavily influenced by Hendrix."

If it's a modern drum set virtuoso, I don't have a clue.

if it is anyone it is Tony Williams

no matter what the person who coined the phrase says

but in all honesty Jimi would be the Tony Williams of Guitar

:)

I am going out on a limb here however I will say Steve Gadd: because besides being creative both are /were meticulous about the final product.
Did that quote come from Dave Weckle?

I did a quick internet search and I see that attributed to Tony Williams and Keith Moon. The Tony Williams connection is attributed to Carlos Santana.

On an unrelated note, I recently learned that my father doesn't really care for Santana. I felt like I had just learned that I was adopted.

I think it should be Tony, but I'm gonna guess it was in reference to Moon.

In the world of guitar, Hendrix was revolutionary. So you had the guitar before Hendrix (Les Paul, Chet Atkins, the Ventures) and then you had guitar after Hendrix.

I'm probably not qualified (yet) to comment on the drummer who revolutionized drums in a similar manner.

Pop guitar didn't have another major revolution till EVH. Much like linear drumming concepts, EVH let the world know that sequences, played quickly and in rapid succession, stop sounding linear an become musical.

I thought Max Roach was the man who 'changed the way we all play'? I would've figured it was him. I know he changed the way I play ;)

I thought Max Roach was the man who 'changed the way we all play'? I would've figured it was him. I know he changed the way I play ;)

Max was an innovator indeed and did change the way the music was approached a bit

but he did not kick the doors open and have cats fearing for their own careers the way Tony and Jimi did

he didn't really have his contemporaries filling the house just to see what the f**k this cat was up to the way Tony and Jimi did

Oh,who cares?

Meg White? I dont know.

Moon is the only one where I have thought "What the f**k, how is he doing that".

Its not what you play its where you play it, and till then no one played what Moon did where he played it.

In the world of guitar, Hendrix was revolutionary. So you had the guitar before Hendrix (Les Paul, Chet Atkins, the Ventures) and then you had guitar after Hendrix.

I'm probably not qualified (yet) to comment on the drummer who revolutionized drums in a similar manner.

Not sure that the drummer in question necessarily revolutionized anything, the comment was more of a face value, off the cuff remark. Don't think too hard, just kinda the first name that pops into your head.

:)

Bermuda, do you have a link to that clip where Al is done-up like Hendrix in Monte Ray and lights his accordion on fire? I remember laughing my ass off at that bit a decade ago and haven't seen it since. If no link... do you remember where it was from?

Back