DW Jazz Over Gretsch??

RobertM

Platinum Member
Is it crazy to consider a DW Jazz Series bebop kit (18/14/12) over a Gretsch USA Custom (same sizes)? I was debating this question with a friend who is partial to DW. The sound of the DW Jazz Series is nice, I admit, but I just haven't heard or seen as many players singing their praises or using them compared to the USA Customs.

A lot is different about them: 6-ply vs. 8-ply shells (both are 5.5 mm, I think), 5-lug toms vs. 6-lug toms, tom mount options and suspension rings, etc.

I'm just not sure that both kits are on par, and, via this forum, I have heard more negative or suspect comments about DW quality than I have about Gretsch USA Custom quality, which would suggest the Customs have a better reputation.

Thoughts?

If you're going to be dragging them behind a car, I'd say both are pretty equal when it comes to 'quality'.

GRETSCH is more steeped in jazz history. There's probably more DW jazz sets out there than USA CUSTOMS in those sizes.

Value wise DW gets the nod... they give you one extra lug (make that two, one top one bottom) compared to GRETSCH.

Having owned TWO DW kits, and having gotten rid of them, I think I've lost my partiality to DW over the last 5 years. I really liked them in the 80s after they took over Camco, and they were a smaller company concerned about the little guy. Now it's become another big drum company name like Yamaha or Pearl or Tama, and I'm not really partial to those either.

I did own a DW snare that I just couldn't get to sound right. But give me a Supraphonic or an Acrolite, or even Tama's Stewart Copeland snare and I can get those sounding great in minutes. Maybe my DW snare was tweaked a bit.

However, I fail to understand what's so great about Gretsch too. They're like Fender or Gibson - been around for years just doing their thing. A great name played by great players. Both DW and Gretsch have that going for them.

I would think at that level it's not the kit that's gonna make you sound good anyway - you just better have your act together. Both top of the line kits will not cover up bad playing.

Both top of the line kits will not cover up bad playing.

Probably not in those sizes (12/14/18)... tho if people see you playing jazz badly on a DW kit, they could easily assume you're just a rock guy learning how to play jazz, whereas if they see you playing jazz badly on a GRETSCH set, they would probably no doubt assume you basically suck all around as a drummer.

Probably not in those sizes (12/14/18)... tho if people see you playing jazz badly on a DW kit, they could easily assume you're just a rock guy learning how to play jazz, whereas if they see you playing jazz badly on a GRETSCH set, they would probably no doubt assume you basically suck all around as a drummer.

This is hilarious.

When you say more DW Jazz kits are probably "out there," do you mean out there as in collecting dust and not finding homes, or out there being used and outdoing the USA Customs in sales?

That's really funny! Well, probably the more correct statement would be "other drummers would assume you basically suck all around as a drummer". The bride at the wedding you're playing isn't even listening to the band....(if it hasn't been replaced by a dj)....

Last edited:
DW's sound and quality is excellent. There are many, many positive DW Jazz Series reviews out there (many players didn't vibe with the re-ring kits, but the Jazz Series has been a different story).

When you say more DW Jazz kits are probably "out there," do you mean out there as in collecting dust and not finding homes, or out there being used and outdoing the USA Customs in sales?

My guess would be more DDubs out there just b/c of sales- outdoing USA CUSTOM... and there's probably more DDubs collecting dust on drum shop floors too.

Drums, guitars, automobiles, different brands and all have their up and down sides. Folks with vast experience with each brands will love one and hate the other and vice-versa, and give us valid reasons why.

Gretsch and DW are both known for their quality and differing issues. I'd say go with the one you like best for your money and musical needs. If you still find yourself in a "toss-up" situation, do a little searching and find out who's customer service history out performs the other and maybe let that be your deciding factor.

Just my 2cents.

DW shells aren't going to sound like Gretsch shells. In the end, isn't more important to get what sounds best to you?

I would honestly just close my eyes and have a couple of drummers play each kit and then pick the best sounding to my ears no matter who the manufacturer is. I've listened to and played both and ended up buying a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. The Gretsch USA Custom came in a close second. I have absolutely nothing against DW, I just like the sound of some other kits a bit better.

Dennis

The thing is, Gretch has been making jazz drum for generations, and have the history behind the name.

DW jazz line is only a few years old.

But whatever, you should play drums that sound good to you, not what logo in on the drums.

Choose the one that sounds better and fits your needs better. I was hunting for a round badge kit for the better part of last year and they were either extremely expensive for their condition, or in no condition for regular gigging. I figured if I was going to spend that kind of money to get that sound, I may as well get something with modern hardware.

In the end, I bought a DW Jazz set that sounds very much like the round badge kits I was looking at, with some durability as an added benefit.

The jazz series, of course, sounds extremely different from Collector's. You basically need to throw out any concept of the jazz series sound in relation to Collector's unless you start with "It doesn't sound like the Collector's series at all". ;)

I was hunting for a round badge kit for the better part of last year and they were either extremely expensive for their condition, or in no condition for regular gigging. I figured if I was going to spend that kind of money to get that sound, I may as well get something with modern hardware.
;)

So why did'nt you just get a new Gretsch Custom ??

I tried several high end jazz kits.
I tried several DW kits as well as high end Gretsch kits and Sonor kits.

I found that the basic Cat Club Jazz kit sounds a great deal like the kits from the sixties.

I wound up buying (believe it or not) A Tama Stagestar kit.
I love the trashy sound of this cheap kit. The Bass drum is perfect! The 8x12 rack tom and the 12x14 floor tom is also warm and great sounding for jazz.
I couldn't believe it myself!

No, I'm not crazy!

I added a maple Black Panther snare to the mix. Another cheap drum that works for jazz!

I am actually thinking of having my Stagestar kit Re Wrapped with a high end covering because I like the kit so much!
It will cost more to re wrap it than the kit is worth and I know that.
I also may add some maple bass drum hoops and some cast hoops to the kit.

Once again, I'm not crazy, I just know what I like!

Drums are strange things!

Follow your heart on this one.

So why did'nt you just get a new Gretsch Custom ??

DW Jazz series had more of the 50s 3 ply thing happening to my ear. None of the USA Customs I heard had "it". All GREAT kits. But the DW was the best to my ear. Also had a little more versatile range: could crank up for that specific sound, could tune looser and get more of a Charlie Watts thing.

Could have been the kits I checked out, but my jazz series had every bit of that same character as the jazz series kits I checked in the stores.

If you've never heard 'em, I really suggest checking 'em out and legitimately putting the kit through the paces.

Once again, shop is this order. Cost, then features, then available finishes. I don't see a big difference in sound quality. They may sound different, but both will sound great. In the end it's how they sound that is going to count.

The same thing goes for the Classic Series. Throw out all of you conceptions of the Collectors Series. They are just different... I said it before. I am not a DW protagonist. These two series just sound different. At some point, it will become common knowledge. G

Back