DW DRUMS - thoughts?

KONA

Silver Member
Hi fellow drummers (and dw reps if you're reading).

I'm thinking seriously about buying a second shellpack. The first one being my beautiful Gretsch Renown African Mahogany shellpack I bought last year - nice!, and one of only 60 made. It is an amazing kit so far. However, I have been reading up on DW drums and I actually bought a Collector's Series snare (in Black Oyster Glass) a while ago and I'm very pleased with it.

I keep getting feedback, not only from drummers, but from retailers that actually sell the drums, that they're way over priced. I didn't think my snare drum was over-priced at all. They seem like beautiful well made drums and not any more expensive than top-of-the-line Sonor for instance - that I've seen so far anyway.

Again, I'm only at the "thinking-of-buying" stage right now. They do look like awesome drums. I'm new at this and old too, so I have little time left to collect as many drums and stuff as I can so I can leave it all to my kids (that will sell the stuff at a flee market) when I leave the planet. lol

Thoughts?

DW drums are pretty nice and sound good aswell. I like the overall tone of the shells mainly, but as with most top-of-the-line drums, they're a bit over priced for me, especially being that I'm 17 and have a small budget until grandma passes and I get the car to sell, lol.

I'm thinking seriously about buying a second shellpack. The first one being my beautiful Gretsch Renown African Mahogany shellpack I bought last year - nice!, and one of only 60 made. It is an amazing kit so far. However, I have been reading up on DW drums and I actually bought a Collector's Series snare (in Black Oyster Glass) a while ago and I'm very pleased with it.

I keep getting feedback, not only from drummers, but from retailers that actually sell the drums, that they're way over priced. I didn't think my snare drum was over-priced at all. They seem like beautiful well made drums and not any more expensive than top-of-the-line Sonor for instance - that I've seen so far anyway.

Again, I'm only at the "thinking-of-buying" stage right now. They do look like awesome drums. I'm new at this and old too, so I have little time left to collect as many drums and stuff as I can so I can leave it all to my kids (that will sell the stuff at a flee market) when I leave the planet. lol

Thoughts?

They are great I think but DW drums are discussed so much on this forum if you use the search function you will find more thoughts, views and reviews good and band then you could ever want compared to just this thread.

They are great I think but DW drums are discussed so much on this forum if you use the search function you will find more thoughts, views and reviews good and band then you could ever want compared to just this thread.

Yes - I know - thanks for your reply.

I've been looking. And, yes, there are comments about being overpriced. I guess it just comes down to, they're made in the USA, they're well made, they sound and look good and, most of all, if you really want em - you'll buy them. That's where I'm heading..........

Kona

Thoughts?

I really like my DWs and any issues have been taken care of by DW. I'm not saing that there are equally good drums out there, but I just don't know what I would buy if I were buying brand new right now.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Expensive is relative and it depends on what you want your money to go for.

Drums made in the U.S., Europe or other First-World nations will cost more. Some of the money is going to pay for the retirement, health care and family wages of U.S. workers. Some of the money is going to comply with American regulations on worker safety and environmental protection. Then of course there are taxes, some of which goes to pay for roads and other services.

So, if you buy low-cost, high-quality Asian stuff, you're not paying for any of that. Maybe a little kid or political prisoner was forced to build your drums and the waste was dumped into a river or burned.

High-quality drums cost, period. The only issue is whether the consumer is paying the cost, or workers or the environment is bearing the cost. Of course, the first rule is quality product and no one disputes that DW makes top-quality stuff. That's a given in this case.

Kona, where do you live and what is your job (or your parents job if you're still a minor)? How do they get their money to keep your family funded and do they depend on domestic spending for it?

Indeed, cost is all "relative". A cat on this forum is looking at a 5 pc. DW kit right now, gently used, for $1700. One just sold out of the local Pasadena Guitar Center, used 5 pc., for $1799. Compare that to a 14x14 Rogers black onyx script logo floor tom my buddy just bought for $800, a 60's vintage Ludwig standard in Lemon Strata another friend picked up for $1300, or, dare I say, look at prices on Gretsch Round Badge kits. DW's overpriced? They cost what they cost.

Just to throw out a different perspective. Are they over priced or just too expensive?

I own two DW kits. The price was worth it to me.

Drums made in the U.S., Europe or other First-World nations will cost more. Some of the money is going to pay for the retirement, health care and family wages of U.S. workers. Some of the money is going to comply with American regulations on worker safety and environmental protection. Then of course there are taxes, some of which goes to pay for roads and other services.

So, if you buy low-cost, high-quality Asian stuff, you're not paying for any of that. Maybe a little kid or political prisoner was forced to build your drums and the waste was dumped into a river or burned.

High-quality drums cost, period. The only issue is whether the consumer is paying the cost, or workers or the environment is bearing the cost. Of course, the first rule is quality product and no one disputes that DW makes top-quality stuff. That's a given in this case.

Kona, where do you live and what is your job (or your parents job if you're still a minor)? How do they get their money to keep your family funded and do they depend on domestic spending for it?

Wow !
Ya - I feel guilty already!
There's enough material here to chat for years.
And,
Harryconway and Steady Freddy:
I agree that "they cost what they cost" and I can afford them no problem. I just thought I'd get some local "forum" feedback on how nice the drums really are. I had no idea it would get sooooooo political.

The shellpack I was looking at (here in Canada) was a 7 peice at around $10K. I just thought it's a little strange when I hear of 7 piece DW kits going for under $4-5K that's all.

I never really worry that much about the price - yes - I talk about it - but I buy what I like - and usually quality stuff.

I care about the environment and the poor. My day job is caring for the environment.

Maybe we should have "fair-trade" drums???

Thanks for your replys guys..........I take it from here.

Cheers,

Kona

Here's the thing with DW's...they sound so good (in my opinion) because of the construction, thin shells with re-rings. If Pearl, Yamaha, and Tama constructed the shells that way, I bet they would sound damn near the same. I've owned all the Asian drums, and the sound of the DW's beats them all. It's kind of like comparing the sound of a Honda to the sound of a Harley. Plus DW's lacquer finishes are just so superior

Yeah, there's no doubt that they're gonna sound fantastic, but bear in mind that all these beautiful drums with crazy finishes and gold hardware and whatnot are probably marketed at very rich people who want an epic stage presence on a world tour or something; so a hefty chunk of what you're paying for will probably be for the look, rather than the sound.

whatever, i'm not even sure i made a valid point :s
good luck!

Are they good drums: YES

High quality: YES

Good Customer service: YES

Overpriced is a subjective thing.

Bottom line is YOU have to be happy with your purchase. Do I think you can go wrong buying one, absolutely not. However it all comes down to what you can afford. If the cash isn't an issue then it's not overpriced for you ;-)

One other thing to take into consideration that most people don't is advertising cost. DW sinks a ton of money into it's advertising and somewhere along the lines they have to recoup that cost which translates into the consumer paying a few dollars more. I can say I've never heard one bad DW kit! I would love to own a DW someday but I'm a Yamaha guy as well so it would be a tough decision.

I'd say if you found a kit you really like and can afford it go for it! You won't regret it ;-)

hi, KONA,

i'm very happy with my collector's kit, the nicest i ever owned ... and its price was the same like my further designer's kit in the same configuration.

greets from germany,
m.

The shellpack I was looking at (here in Canada) was a 7 peice at around $10K. I just thought it's a little strange when I hear of 7 piece DW kits going for under $4-5K that's all.
Yeah, that $10K takes me by surprise too. Me, being an eBay dog, there are quite a few DW kits for sale right now. I got tired after looking at 9 kits. Price ranges from $499 (for a gigged 3 piece) to $3K (for a 6pc, NOS from a store).

Yeah, that $10K takes me by surprise too. Me, being an eBay dog, there are quite a few DW kits for sale right now. I got tired after looking at 9 kits. Price ranges from $499 (for a gigged 3 piece) to $3K (for a 6pc, NOS from a store).

The 10k price quote was an estimate from a local retailer and, as you know, I'm in Canada. He can order them but he says they take forever to come in and it would be close to that price (estimate) for my custom order. My custom order was for 8,10,12,14
racks 16 & 18 floors, 22 bass and a 14x6.5 snare shellpack. But, I'm still looking - he was my first choise (the local big box drum retailer).

Only spend on them what they're worth to you. If you can find what you like, buy used.

I love my DWs. I think they're expensive (compared to other, over-seas built kits), but not over-priced for the quality. Mine were worth every penny...

10-4 ! I agree totally.............

I bought my first DW kits in 2000 and went back for seconds on 2006. And I do not regret one penny of the cost. They are amazing sounding, the finish is second to none and the craftsmanship is top notch.

They retain their value amazingly well also.

So in my opinion in 8 years of ownership. You cant go wrong.

Just take a look at this thread.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

They retain their value amazingly well also.
This is the only part I wouldn't agree with. My observations show these drums selling for 50% (and below) their "original" cost.

The 10k price quote was an estimate from a local retailer and, as you know, I'm in Canada. He can order them but he says they take forever to come in and it would be close to that price (estimate) for my custom order. My custom order was for 8,10,12,14
racks 16 & 18 floors, 22 bass and a 14x6.5 snare shellpack. But, I'm still looking - he was my first choise (the local big box drum retailer).

Hi Kona,
See your email, I am in canada too and have a dw kit, I can have you much lower price new dw kits for you.

Back