DW Jazz Over Gretsch??

Thanks, Harry--I thought the history went something like that. If all of that information is the total story, then I would love to know who is doing DW's research and writing!

Perhaps John Good got a hold of some secret 8-ply Buddy Rich or Max Roach 8x12 tom or something...ha ha.

Was it a USA Custom kit that was "rough" in quality? Some would argue that there is a quality difference between USA Custom vs. the rest of the Gretsch lines.

For a period of time in the 80's and 90's, Gretch had terrible quality control issues.
They horribly inconsistent, and frequently screwed up people's orders. They still made awesome drums when they got it right, but oye, it could be a battle with them. They would send wrong sizes, wrong parts, and take forever to fix their mistakes.

A big reason why they let KMS (Kaman) take over their distribution is they finally realized they were screwing themselves over.

Gretch still owes me a lost commission check when they canceled my clients snare drum, after it had been on order for 6 months, simply because they no longer felt like making that particular size anymore.

Yes, I had heard about Gretsch's undistinguished record from the 1980s and a bit beyond. It is one reason why folks in the know tell you not to buy Gretsch kits made during the Eighties unless you can inspect them first. Kind of like what happened to Ludwig in the Nineties, I suppose.

The kit I had issues with was a Broadkaster kit. Again, it sounded great. It is not my intention to bash Gretsch. I would be happy to have a USA Custom kit. The only line I am interested in is the USA Custom line at this point, though I've heard the other lines have some good things happening there. Apparently they have made some great strides in quality, which is something I need to consider.

The pricing I received was from a dealer who handles both Gretsch and DW. I was really impressed with the pricing on both brands (having seem some list prices on Gretsch and seeing significantly higher pricing elsewhere on both brands). From the info I have available, the Gretsch were discounted 50%. Thought the DW pricing was a similar discount, but the Gretsch just had a higher list.

I really could be happy with either brand. I think I had some bias towards the DW because I wanted to see the build quality I experienced with my Collector's series kit along with the sound I got from Gretsch and Fibes. I have a 7-piece Fibes with Jasper shells that is unbelievable (just no die-cast rims and different bearing edge). A real keeper. It seems that DW has modified the "Gretsch" formula a bit with two more plies, but we all know where the inspiration (maybe I am being too kind here) for the Jazz series stems from. I can understand a Gretsch purist being somewhat dismayed at DW's adoption (again, too kind) of the maple/gumwood shell, "butter" bearing edge and die-cast rims etc. I don't understand why it took so long for someone to copy this formula though.

The one thing I know for certain is that Green Glass Glitter in either brand is darn pretty to my eyes.

Dw is gretsch, they're the same kit except the dw has those nice round lugs.

I owned the DW Jazz series kit attached. It was DW's champagne glass glitter. The quality was excellent, the rail mount and bass drum lifter was really great. The kit sounded a bit more sterile than a USA Custom kit IMHO and the bass drum did not sound as nice as my current USA Custom kit ( see avatar pic).

That being said, both brands are excellent drums. Quality wise I think DW is superior. I like the fact that DW doesn't have to cut back the wrap from the edge of the shell as extremely as Gretsch does ( the only thing that really bugs me about my Gretsch kit). They also don't have the silver sealer interiors, so if that bugs you enough to make that a decision point so be it. Personally I really dislike the round lugs on DW kits.

I have owned more Gretsch kits (6) than any other brand (Yamaha is second) and I have my last Gretsch kit now (never say never though , if someone offered up a really nice Copper Mist or Caribbean blue.....) and I have no plans to purchase a DW Jazz kit so I guess you could say I prefer Gretsch. I have been lucky with my Gretsch purchases, never had the issues Zenghost had and if Ai did it would definitely sour me on the brand.

One last thing, not sure why, but Ihave never got on well with Gretsch snares even now they sound boxy and unappealing to me. I have a matching snare with my USA Custom kit and I have it sounding decent now with a Fiberskyn FA head, though it doesn't get a lot of stand time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 391
From what I've seen in the U.S., there is roughly a $200 savings or so between a lacquer finish DW Jazz kit (18/14/12) and a lacquer USA Custom.

Big difference in the actual lacquer itself, GRETSCH blows nitrocellulose lacquer (at I think (can't remember) at 180 degrees), whereas DW uses polyester based lacquer.

Nitrocellulose will age with the instrument, arguably has a different sound. Poly lacquer will keep the drums looking new for years, if kept out of the sunlight.

Would I pay an up-charge for nitrocellulose lacquer finish if it were an option? Yes.

For a four year old thread I hope the OP has decided by now...and yes it is a little early to say Gretsch is DW or vice versa.

Big difference in the actual lacquer itself, GRETSCH blows nitrocellulose lacquer (at I think (can't remember) at 180 degrees), whereas DW uses polyester based lacquer.

Nitrocellulose will age with the instrument, arguably has a different sound. Poly lacquer will keep the drums looking new for years, if kept out of the sunlight.

Would I pay an up-charge for nitrocellulose lacquer finish if it were an option? Yes.

...interesting...here's what canopus had to say about the use of nitrocellulose in connection with the release of its new mid-level/mid-price 'yaiba' line:

”In producing these drums, we adopted a different approach for the shell construction, heads and hardware. In addition we switched from nitrocellulose lacquer, the use of which is particularly costly and time consuming, to a different type of lacquer - one used by many other drum makers for their high-end models. This has reduced the time of the drying process, shortened our overall production time and enabled us to significantly reduce the price.” [Canopus website]

...interesting...here's what canopus had to say about the use of nitrocellulose in connection with the release of its new mid-level/mid-price 'yaiba' line:

”In producing these drums, we adopted a different approach for the shell construction, heads and hardware. In addition we switched from nitrocellulose lacquer, the use of which is particularly costly and time consuming, to a different type of lacquer - one used by many other drum makers for their high-end models. This has reduced the time of the drying process, shortened our overall production time and enabled us to significantly reduce the price.” [Canopus website]
Like pretty much everyone else, they're moving to a UV cured product. It works really well aesthetically, & acoustically fine for industry standard shells.

As for Gretsch, I doubt there will be any significant constructional changes in the short term. There's two distinct revenue steams here, & any merging of brand identity, either intentional or otherwise, would be commercial suicide. That said, I do hope DW will take a look at quality control.

They sound like drums, and that is all anyone else besides a drummer will think. Get what appeals to you for whatever reason and have fun playing. Peace and goodwill.

Hi,

Over those drumsets, I would go for this one :
Tamburo Jazz 23th Anniversary, absolutely versatile and awesome quality !
A killer set !

jazzette-tamburo-23.jpg

jazzette-tamburo-23-1117369.jpg

jazzette-tamburo-23-1117368.jpg

jazzette-tamburo-23-1117367.jpg

jazzette-tamburo-23-1117371.jpg

Back