Ayotte? or DW?

muto91

hey, I was lookin at DW kits for a while now but I just cant do the price. I was also lookin at ayotte drums. i dont know much about them if anyones ever used or had one. if so, pros and cons?Also, where can i get good prices on used kits? all im lookin for is a 3 to 4 piece set. thanks a bunch!

Kiyoshi

Welcome to the forum.

A good place to check out used kits is craigslist. Ebay too, but you won't get a chance to try them out before you buy, which I think is critical. I got a DW kit that I absolutely love, but only after playing about 40 or 50 other DW kits that I wouldn't ever consider buying. I have only played a couple of Ayotte kits, and they sounded good, but they were miked and on a loud stage, so I couldn't get an accurate picture of what they REALLY sound like. Good luck with trying to find one to take a test drive on, since they're basically custom-order kits and harder to find than most companies' kits. I hear good things about them, though, just like most custom-order drum companies.

My advice would be to broaden your search. Don't just limit yourself to DW and Ayotte. Try some Tama Starclassics, try some Gretsch maple kits, try some Mapex kits, even try some (gulp) Pearls. Go for sound, not for a company. I found my DW kit after saying to myself, "I'm going to look around at EVERYTHING, and when I find the kit I like, I'm going to get it." It took a couple of years and probably almost 600 or so kits later, but I found my DWs and my vintage Ludwigs, and I couldn't be happier (well, you never know, I guess).

awesome! thanks a bunch!!! I'll def. check some of the other companies out! And i have been lookin under craigslist ad ebay but cant seem to find any DW. but do you know much about OCDP?? I know guitar center recently started to carry their kits(not just their snares anymore) but I wasn't sure if they were reliable. I'm gonna head over there today to check some kits out if ya had any in mind. I'm into the whole maroon 5 sound...haha!

yeah..dont even look at OCDP man...

you'll get bashed for even thinking about them..lol

if your wanting a real custom set, check out Unix. he is a member of the forums here, and he builds custom Stave Drums.,...he is the best of the best..

and yes, if your just looking around, check craigslist and ebay..

Alex

In these "tough" economic times, it is a buyers market, not a sellers. OCDP, just one of many "boutique" drum companies out there. You can score a "gently used" DW kit now, in the $900-$1300 range. If 3 or 4 piece is all you're looking at. UNIX makes incredible stuff. Def. worth looking into. But there are a load more manufactures out there, all making beautiful kits. Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Gretsch, Ludwig, Peace......just to name a few of the "more popular" ones.

thanks a bunch guys. I'll def. check out Unix! but if yall find any good prices on a used DW kit, let me know! preciate everything!

If you want a custom kit built for you, rather then going to one of the larger companies (ie DW, Ayotte, etc), I strongly suggest you check out ghostnote.net
There's a heap of people there who put the big guys to shame; Franky (Unix) is one worth noting, as is Bill Caldwell (C&C), Josh (JMS drums), Mikka (Phi), Kurt (Hillbilly... the best paint finishes on the planet), and a heap of others who's work never ceases to amaze me. You can get anything from people there; stave, segment, acrylic, steel, magnesium, exotic woods, custom airbrushed paint jobs, albalone finishes, custom printed wraps... pretty much everything is the best in the biz. Exactly the reason Pearl keeps steeling their ideas and trying to patent them...

hey, I was lookin at DW kits for a while now but I just cant do the price. I was also lookin at ayotte drums. i dont know much about them if anyones ever used or had one. if so, pros and cons?Also, where can i get good prices on used kits? all im lookin for is a 3 to 4 piece set. thanks a bunch!

Kiyoshi

If you can find someone willing to sell an Ayotte kit dating back to the days when Ray Ayotte was still there you would be hard pressed to find a better kit.

If you want a custom kit built for you, rather then going to one of the larger companies (ie DW, Ayotte, etc), I strongly suggest you check out ghostnote.net
There's a heap of people there who put the big guys to shame; Franky (Unix) is one worth noting, as is Bill Caldwell (C&C), Josh (JMS drums), Mikka (Phi), Kurt (Hillbilly... the best paint finishes on the planet), and a heap of others who's work never ceases to amaze me. You can get anything from people there; stave, segment, acrylic, steel, magnesium, exotic woods, custom airbrushed paint jobs, albalone finishes, custom printed wraps... pretty much everything is the best in the biz. Exactly the reason Pearl keeps steeling their ideas and trying to patent them...

What about Ford drums, San Francisco drums or Greg Gaylord's drums and DW isn't as large as one would believe - just the most hated for their success.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

What about Ford drums, San Francisco drums or Greg Gaylord's drums and DW isn't as large as one would believe - just the most hated for their success.

Mike

Hey Mike,
there's plenty of fantastic companies who DON'T frequent the boards there too, however it's a great way to communicate/throw ideas around with a HEAP of top quality builders.
Also, I wouldn't call it a hate for DW, (at least certainly not on my behalf), but rather that I'd rather promote the little guy who produces the same (if not better) quality of product. DW has created probably the best brand identity in the business... they'll be fine, especially with GC pedalling their wares.

Another point of note is that Ford gets it's lugs made by Robert at Allstar, who happens to be a regular poster at GN.

Back