Gretsch Catalina Maple vs Ludwig Classic Maple

OKAY, so...

I've been playing drums since I was 11. I'm 19 now. I've owned two kits, the best of which being my latest kit, a set of Gretsch Catalina Maples. (I only use the 12'' rack and 16'' floor - I'm a big Bonham guy)

Upon ordering my latest kit (Ludwig Classic Maples in Bonham sizes), I realized that somehow in the past 8 years I have not ONCE played a set of Classic Maples.

What is the tone like? They're both maple shells - where does the true quality difference lie, and is it a night and day difference? Do you like Classic Maples?

JFJ

OKAY, so...

I've been playing drums since I was 11. I'm 19 now. I've owned two kits, the best of which being my latest kit, a set of Gretsch Catalina Maples. (I only use the 12'' rack and 16'' floor - I'm a big Bonham guy)

Upon ordering my latest kit (Ludwig Classic Maples in Bonham sizes), I realized that somehow in the past 8 years I have not ONCE played a set of Classic Maples.

What is the tone like? They're both maple shells - where does the true quality difference lie, and is it a night and day difference? Do you like Classic Maples?

JFJ

IMO, the difference will be huge. The catalina's are good drums, but the Classic Maples are fantastic. Better hardware, different species of Maple, different shell construction and different bearing edges.

I don't own either, but I've looked at and played both.

No comparison, the Classic Maple is far superior in both construction and sound. The Catalina maple is made from Chinese maple where the Ludwig Classic maple is made from North American maple . The North American maple is harder on the Janka scale and offers a more resonant sound and sharper attack.

I can't speak for the Gretch, but I have a fairly new set of Ludwig Classic Maples and love them. No words will substitute for hearing them in the flesh, but the first time I put sticks to my new Ludwig's, I knew that I had made a great choice. I came from playing mostly Tama maple and birch kits. Maybe it's the Bonham size drums, construction, or bit of both, but MAN do these drums sing!

Back