If you could build you DREAM KIT, what would it be/include? (Shells, cymbals, hardware, etc.)

Mine would be a Gretsch USA Custom in the following sizes:

20x16 bass drum
12x9 tom
14x14 tom
14x5.5 phosphor-bronze snare
chrome hardware, red glass finish

The hardware would be the Gibraltar 7700 series stands and Avenger 6611 pedal.

Cymbals (all Sabian):

21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
14" Paragon Hats
17" AAXpolsion Crash
18" AAXposion Crash

It will never happen, but that would be my ideal set. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
My dream kit....is it weird to say my dream kit would be any of Slingerland kits Louie Bellson used?

otherwise...

For Shows: My basic setup [1up/2dn], with shell size options, especially with the kick drum, depending on where I'm playing. Manufacturer: not sure...I'd have to try a bunch to be firm about my decision. Totally possible it could be from a larger manufacturer. There are a lot of great kits out there these days. I could go Gretsch, DW, Pearl or even more Ludwig. But I would also look at the smaller companies.

Can I have a snare drum budget of $50k? I'd find enough things to be completely satisfied. Probably.

Cymbals: Zildjian A's. Lots of them. My dream kit has multiple A's. Just about anywhere you could swing you'll hit an 18" A crash. And the rides....all over the place. CymbalLand. And every size down to the little guys. They make 'em, I'll take 'em.
And a set of Giant Beats. And a set of 2002's. And a set of K's for in the studio.

I'll need a set of Vistalites for the stage to go with those Giant Beats. Haven't decided on a color yet, so I'll need choices sitting in my drum room.

Oh....I'll need a drum room.

No racks, all Stands: The really strong Pearls, those new flat-based Ludwigs, and some good, light, strong DW's for taking to jam sessions.

DW9000 kick pedals.

Scratch-built Dream: I'd love to make a thing like the crazy percussion rack Spike Jones used to play with his City Slickers. Always wanted to do something like that.

Vintage Kit: I have it. It'll be in my family forever. 1965 Slingerlands in Blue Ripple Swirl.

Oh, and my dream kit comes with a roadie.

If I had to have one dream kit, I'd mashup Stanton Moore's kit with Steve Jordan's aux kit and add a bit of my own flavor.

Main Kit - Gretsch USA Custom:
12x8
14x14
16x16
20x14
snare: hard to decide on just one... 14x5 Gretsch COB

Aux Bass - Classic 3 ply+rering Ludwig:
26x14

Aux kit:
12x22 DAXDAD - Mahogany stave!! with wood hoops
snare: 12x7 Wandoo Brady Block

Main Kit Cymbals:
14" 60's Zildjian A Hi hats
18" Bosphorus Traditional Thin Crash
22" Bosphorus Wide Ride
22" Istanbul Agop Signature Ride with 6 rivets

Aux Kit cymbals:
16" Eric Harland style Hi Hats
22" Istanbul Agop Special Edition Jazz Ride

Last edited:
Main Kit:

Gatton Drum (Corion) In White
20”x 18” Kick
16x14 Tom
12x9 Tom
Gatton Drums Snare 13x5.6 In orange (left in the picture. That one is mine) :D

Paiste Cymbals (Left to Right):
Alpha Brilliant 13" medium Hats
Formula 602 16" Thin Crash
Twenty 8" Splash
Signature Traditional 20" Light Ride
Twenty Custom 18" Full Crash
10" mini hats (PST8 Rock splash under PST8 Thin Splash)
2002 20" Novo China

Pearl Hardware:
DR-80 Rack w/ 7 clamps
CH-1000 Cymbal Arms x5
H-2000 Hi-Hat Stand
RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat
Demon Drive Double pedal
x2 quadbeaters
TH-2000 Tom Holder
S-1000D Snare Stand

Second kit:

Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite In Natural Cordia
18x14 kick
10x6.50 Tom
14x12 Floor Tom
Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14 Snare

Paiste cymbals (Left to Right)
Formula 602 Medium hats
Twenty Masters Collection 20" Dark Dry Ride
Twenty Masters Collection 22" Dark Ride
Formula 602 20" Flat Ride

Pearl Hardware:
x3 B-100S Boom Stands
H-1000K Hi-Hat stand
P-2000C Single Pedal
S-1000D Snare stand
S-1000LS Tom/Snare Stand

Attachments

• tama bubinga jazz kit side copy.jpg
    tama bubinga jazz kit side copy.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,203
Not all these items would be included in the same set up, but are chosen to give the greatest diversity from genre to genre

DRUMS:
Gretsch USA Custom in Black Marine Nitron

22x14 bass drum
18x14 bass drum
12x8 rack tom
14x14 floor tom
16x16 floor tom
14x6 snare

CYMBALS:
10" K Custom Dark Spalsh
15" K light Hi hats
17" K Custom Dark Crash
18" K Custom Dark Crash
18" A Custom EFX
19" K Custom Hybrid Crash
20" K Constantinople Medium Thin Low Ride
21" A Sweet Ride
24" K Light Ride

HARDWARE:
DW 5000 bass drum pedal
DW 5000 hi hat stand
The rest is DW 9000 series

Last edited:
These are my dream kits.

Kit #1 Drums: DW classic in vintage marine finish with bass drum mounted cymbal and rail mount. 24x14, 14x14, 12x8 14x51/2" snare.

Cymbals: Sabian HH 20" Manhattan ride, 14" dark hats, 16" thin crash, 17" HHXtreme crash.

Hardware: DW 9000 single pedal, hihat, and snare stand, plus 2 cymbal stands.

Kit # 2 Drums: DW classic in vintage marine finish with bass drum mounted cymbal and rail mount. 22x14,16x16, 13x9, 14x61/2" snare.

Cymbals: Sabian AA 20" el Sabor ride, 14" el Sabor hats 18" el Sabor crash, 18" HHXtreme crash.

Hardware: DW 5000 single pedal, hihat stand, 9000 snare, and 2 cymbal stands.

Barry

Last edited:
Already got it! Tempus fiberglass, 8x10, 8x12, 9x13, 14x15, 14x16, 12x20, 18x24, and a few snares by Tempus, Keplinger, and Phattie.

I've got quite a few cymbals and it's too hard to pick a set out.

Pedals and hardware? I play DW 9000 and 5000, but pro grade is inter-changeable. Yamaha would be nice for a change.

Sonor SQ2

6x6, 8x8, 10x10 rack toms: heavy Beech shells w/ Beech inner veneer
12x10, 14x10 rack toms: medium Beech shells w/ Maple inner veneer
15x16, 16x17, 18x19 floor toms: vintage Beech shells w/ Maple inner veneer
22x18 (x2) bass drums: vintage Maple shells w/ Birch inner veneer
26x14 bass drum: vintage Maple shell w/ Maple inner veneer

Finished in matte black (or some kind of natural finish) with black nickel-plated hardware.

Axis Longboards (which are the only thing on this list I have and probably ever will :p )

Paiste cymbals: a mix of 2oo2, Signature Reflector and Dark Energy.

70's Ludwig 3 ply,in 60's oyster black pearl,in every size that Ludwig ever made,with bass drums no deeper that 14".Snare drums the same,in both wood and metal,including bronze shelled 80's Black Beautys.

I would also like a set of late 40's Slingerland Radio Kings,and Gretsch Broadcasters,and a Rogers mid 60's holiday shells with a dynasonic snare.

Cymbals....what ever sounds good,in vintage 50's,60's Zildjians,Paiste and Ufip.Modern cymbals from any maker,as long as the again...sound good.I would also mix them together,maybe just to mess with the "everything must match"crowd.

I like some of the newer stuff,but to have a "new" vintage drums would be amazing.I actually played a 71 vintage Ludwig kit that was,except for a couple of stick marks on the heads....brand new.This was just two years ago.The kit was purchased,set up once for one day,put in cases and stuffed into a closet for 39 years.So THAT would be to me,the ultimate drum set.

Steve B

Dream kit? Hmm

For me it's gonna be a Fully custom kit with some good lacquer finish regardless of brand that has Bubinga,Birch,Maple,Walnut and Oak (Not sure what would happen if all of those are on the same drum together haha)

They will be in a 3 up 4 down 4 bass drums and 2 snare drums configuration...something like Jonathan Moffet's kit.

Sizes from drummers point of view(Left to right) :

Snare Drums : Dunnett Classic 14 x 6.5 Titanium Snare Drum(Side snare) and a Tama 13x7 G-Maple Snare
Rack Toms : 8x8,10x7.5,12x8.5
Floor Toms : 14x14, 16x15, 18x16(Left side floor tom)
Bass Drums: 26x17,Two 24x15 and a 20x16

Cymbals(Mix of some of this):

Zildjian:

10" A splash
14" A New Beats
18" K EFX Cymbal
17" A Custom Medium Crash
18" A Custom Medium Crash
19" A Custom Medium Crash
19" K Custom Dark China
20" K Ride

Sabian

10" HH Splash
13" HH Fusion Hats
14" HHX Stage Hats
16" AA El Sabor Crash
16" AAX X-plosion Crash
17" HHX Evo Crash
18" AAX X-plosion Crash
18" AAX Omni
19" Vault Holy China
20" AAX Stadium Ride

Hardware:

DW Custom Rack with 9000 Series Boom Arms
Tama SpeedCobra Hi-hat stand
Mapex Falcon Pedals
Roc N Sock drum throne

Sticks & Heads:

Vater American Hickory Fusion Acorn sticks.

Evans ST over Hazy 300 for Dunnett Classic 14 x 6.5 Titanium Snare Drum, Evans HD over Hazy 300 for Tama 13x7 G-Maple Snare
Evans G+ Coated over G1 Clear for Rack Toms, G2 Clear Over G1 Clear For Floor Toms. Aquarian SK I for my Main Bass Drums 24x15 over a Black Regulator with 4 3/4" Hole For my 26x17 it's got to be a Remo PS3 Pro Clear over a Remo Powerstroke 3 Fiberskyn and for my 20x16 I'd like to have a EQ4 Clear over a EQ1 Coated White.

Hmm that's about it so far...

either a sonor sq2 (beech or maple)/tama bubinga elite or gretsch usa custom (maple)

26x14" kick + 20x14" kick + 18x14" kick. Just to be versatile enough.
8x7, 10x7, 12x8 toms
14x14, 16x16, 18x16 floor toms

probably a 14x6.5" dunnett titanium snare, or a 14x6.5" joyful noise bronze, or just some nice metal drum.. never been that partial to wooden snare drums

all the bosphorus and meinl inventory, primarily using 1 hats, 2 (or 3) crashes, 1 ride, 1 efx cymbal (either china, splash or a stack)

probably only use 1 up 1 down config unless i joined a prog band

For my dream kit I would deffinately go DW. Probably with lacquered birch shells but it would be cool to get something more unique. For my toms 1 up and 2 down. Rack Tom 12x9 and 15x13 and 17x15 floor toms. A 14" ludwig supraphonic black beauty snare. Bass drum 22x20 I like having the cannon bass without a woofer. All DW chrome hardware with a 9002 double pedal and a 9500 hat stand. And for cyms 14" zildjian Armand hats, then a 17" K dark crash on the left and a 19" on the right, a 22" K high def ride next to the rack Tom and an 18" oriental china on the far right. I'm getting kind of excited just thinking about it. :)

For my dream kit I would deffinately go DW. Probably with lacquered birch shells but it would be cool to get something more unique. For my toms 1 up and 2 down. Rack Tom 12x9 and 15x13 and 17x15 floor toms. A 14" ludwig supraphonic black beauty snare. Bass drum 22x20 I like having the cannon bass without a woofer. All DW chrome hardware with a 9002 double pedal and a 9500 hat stand. And for cyms 14" zildjian Armand hats, then a 17" K dark crash on the left and a 19" on the right, a 22" K high def ride next to the rack Tom and an 18" oriental china on the far right. I'm getting kind of excited just thinking about it. :)

I've only ever seen one 17" drum... have fun finding heads!

I like innovative and well-engineered drums, so Sonor would be a nice choice (also somehow patriotic, got to support my fellow neighbors)...

Shells: anything that's pretty pre-EQ'd... birch or beech perhaps. If Sonor, the SQ2 of course.
Sizes: rather short depths, diameter ranging from 8" - 13" rack toms, 14" - 16" floor, 18" - 24" bass drum and a 18"/20" gong.

Dunnett and Brady snare, what else...?

I guess I'd be going with the Hex Rack from Yamaha and a variety of pedals; Perfect Balance, DW9000s etc.

Meinl Byzance. What else, hehe? Full sets from all the series within the Byzance family.

...cover all bases, sort of.

Well I finally have my no compromise kit and I have been close before but this is really my dream kit realized. Before receiving this kit as said I have been fortunate enough to own and play a lot of kits. But my newly delivered SONOR SQ2 is without a doubt my favorite. The sizes are 8x7, 10x8, 12x8, 14x13, 16x14 and 22x16 in high gloss American Walnut veneer. All the shells are heavy Beech. My cymbals of choice are handmade Turkish cymbals with a preference for Istanbul Mehmet. Bosphorus are great as well as Agop, Byzance etc. but I have a really good relationship with a Mehmet dealer and through him access to cymbals not readily available to most buyers. I love the SONOR snares that I own and play but have a great fondness for stave shelled snares. I also like supporting homegrown in house businesses and own an HD Custom walnut stave and am having Bellwether build me a Cherry stave currently. If there were one more thing that I felt would improve my gear locker I think it would have to be a Joyful Noise snare. Here is my dream kit minus a few cymbals and without my current favorite snare the HD walnut stave.

IMG_4403.JPG

Although I'm fairly satisfied with my current setup, I'm most definitely going to consider building an acrylic setup whenever I can afford to do so.

http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/body_shells.html#acrylicprices

This is just a rough estimate, since the depths of toms aren't finalized yet. I'd have to actually spend a while to think about the amount of resonance I'd want in proportion to what the depths should be. All acrylic shells are in Blue Starlite.

16 x 24" acrylic Bass Drum (x2)
5.5 X 6" acrylic Tom
6 X 8" acrylic Tom
8 X 10" acrylic Tom
9 X 12" acrylic Tom
10 X 14ʺ acrylic Tom
16 X 16ʺ acrylic Floor Tom
16 X 18ʺ acrylic Floor Tom
6.5 X 14" Ludwig Supraphonic chrome over aluminum snare drum

17" Paiste RUDE Wild Crash
18" Paiste RUDE Wild Crash
19" Paiste RUDE Wild Crash
20" Paiste RUDE Wild Crash
24" Paiste 2002 Ride
12" China
16" China
20" China
8" Splash
15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Pair Hi-Hat

Latin Percussion Ridge Rider Cowbell

I'd love to have an opportunity to try a GURU set before I comment. But seeing that isn't likely anytime soon, I'll post what I can...

It's what I own - Gretsch USA Custom Bop Kit. My cymbals change between my Bosphorus and Istanbul Agop so nothing hard and fast on that rule... I'll never settle on which Turkish cymbal I love since I love so many way too much.

The drums and cymbals inspire me to play as much as time allows and every time I'm done, I am always so thankful and grateful I have them.

View attachment 50057

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had so many dream kits in the past, so many of them consisting of more moving parts than a steam engine... to give an expression to it...

After some time now, though, my true dream kit, the one that I could see myself utilizing for years and years to come, is not very big at all: the whole kit probably could fit into one of those smart-cars, actually. :p

Drums, I'm going with Sleishman. From everything I have heard, they live up to the hype that surrounds them, and I am more than willing to use them in the future. Drum sizes include:
18x16 kick
10x8 rack
14x11 floor (suspended from cymbal stand)
and an optional 8x8 rack.

I'll only ever really need one snare drum, but for the sake of diversity, why not three of them?
14x5
13x8
13x5

All of the drums would be maple, except for the 13x5, which would be carbon fiber.

drum heads, all snares and toms would sport Evans G14 on the batter, with hazy 300 on the snare sides and G-Plus on the reso side of the toms. The bass drum would probably be the GMAD on batter with EQ3 on the reso, and depending on the gig, have those Evans pillows for sound control.

For cymbals, I have to say I've always loved Jojo Mayer's choice of cymbals, and the ones he's had made too. but I won't need everything he uses: just the two OMNI cymbals, the Fierce Hats, and a Fierce Crash. Other than that, I would also look into getting the best cymbal to use with rivets, for any jazz gigs that would call for it.

For hardware, I'd probably use the lightest, but sturdiest, cymbal stands I could find. But the hi-hat stand, I would use the Gibraltar 9000 series direct-drive stand, and the bass drum pedal, I would probably buy the Trick Pro V-1 single pedal.

Also, to help those cymbals, I'd probably throw out the cymbal sleeves and felts and use Grombals on them, and on the hi-hat stand, the bottom hi-hat would rest on the Pearl rubber cup washer.

I'm still not sure on the throne though. I'll know it's "the one" when I buy it, sit on it, and it feels like heaven when sitting on it. ;)

... that's about it. I don't think I'll need much more than that, but if I ever do, I'll probably buy it.

Back