Show me your rack! :)

kamranv

Custom drum rack that is...

I just recently decided to put together a custom rack for my drums which would be an expression of me and be a little unique, as well as practical. I've always gone back and forth between racks and stands. Which one is better I think it depends on your particular kit and situation. This is NOT a thread to debate between racks versus stands. I'm just looking for people who decided to go ahead and customize their rack setup. I, like many, started with the usual 3-sided Gibraltar (and slight variations of such) before I happened upon some custom racks that Gibraltar designed for various drummers. Then I thought... that makes sense, especially since it's so easy to work with the rack tube with a pipe cutter. :)

A little about my design... I wanted something that didn't have the cross bar over the bass drum. I always felt like that bar got in the way of the looks of the drums. So having the drums more visible overall was a desire. Also, I wanted less clutter with the cymbal mounts and multi-clamps. I ended up using rack tube boom attachments on the tops of all the rack tubes which allowed me to insert cymbal boom arms (or tom mounts) right into the tops of the rack tubes. The only 2 cymbal booms that use rack clamps are the ones hanging off the tops of curved bars. I also put together a single-legged snare stand that attaches to the vertical tube that the rack toms are mounted to. I used memory locks on everything, and it's a 2-sided rack system, so it's actually pretty easy to tear down and transport. Keep in mind, this is a work in progress since I tried to mostly pieces that I already owned. I gotta say, it was a lot of fun putting it together!

So this is what it looks like... excuse the picture quality, I took them with my cell phone. You can get the idea though.

Now show me yours! :)

drumrack1.jpg

drumrack2.jpg

drumrack3.jpg

I'm not sure if I should feel robbed, or relieved. I guess it really depends on what drummers you're asking.

Really like the split, creates a much more open feeling (don't like cages). How did you secure the curved bars? Do they shift? I don't see a counter balance on the bottom so I assume you're cranking that wing pretty tight.

Here's my most favorite rack:
Isn't she spectacular?

Attachments

• Monique.jpg
    Monique.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 8,637
I'm not sure if I should feel robbed, or relieved. I guess it really depends on what drummers you're asking.

Really like the split, creates a much more open feeling (don't like cages). How did you secure the curved bars? Do they shift? I don't see a counter balance on the bottom so I assume you're cranking that wing pretty tight.

Thanks for the comments! I secured the curved bars with the Gibraltar 90 degree tube clamps plus 2 memory locks each. Yes, I clamped it down pretty good, but not too much. Seems like it's holding pretty well so far. I thought about the possibility of it shifting. I could run a second horizontal bar across on each side and secure the curved bar in 2 spots, but I didn't want to have to buy all the extra tubes and clamps. So far it's pretty solid. I think the key is using the memory locks at each intersection where 2 pipes connect, which is what I did, plus 2 locks (one on each side) of the curved tubes. So we'll see what happens at my next gig! :)

Im her biggest fan. She should know she is a star here.

I wouldn't want to transport that monstrosity.

I beg to differ. I'd give Monique a ride anywhere, anytime. And how dare you call her a monstrosity!

I wouldn't want to transport that monstrosity.

It's not as big as you think. It basically breaks down in as much space as an equivalent set of stands would take to hold the number of cymbals I use. But the great thing is that I don't have to break it down to individual pipes to slide it into my hatchback. Almost all the cymbal booms (except 2) slide into rack tubes.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone. I've been using racks on and off for years and FOR ME they have advantages, IF designed properly, over a bunch of stands. I use a lot of cymbals (the pictures don't show them all mounted), and this setup is not only is more aesthetically pleasing to me, but is actually easier/faster to setup and break down than 6 or 7 cymbal stands with booms, and it's more consistent in positioning. I don't have to think about it. All the positions are exactly the same every time with the memory locks.

Anyway, to each his own. I was just looking for others who maybe used some creativity in their rack design/layout.

I think perverted is a bit strong. Childish, sexist, pathetic, yes. Guilty as charged.

Well, speak for yourselves! I have the ability to appreciate a beautiful woman without having to venture into the x-rated area. And I don't know any woman who wouldn't want to be considered sexy. I think women know when they're being appreciated as opposed to being leered at in a lecherous manner. It really is the other side that creates the issues (meaning us men). So yes, look, admire, appreciate, just don't become a caveman. Cool?

So, how 'bout kamranv's rack?

Well, speak for yourselves! I have the ability to appreciate a beautiful woman without having to venture into the x-rated area. And I don't know any woman who wouldn't want to be considered sexy. I think women know when they're being appreciated as opposed to being leered at in a lecherous manner. It really is the other side that creates the issues (meaning us men). So yes, look, admire, appreciate, just don't become a caveman. Cool?

So, how 'bout kamranv's rack?

Thanks for trying to get us back on track Bo. I think we're too far gone though. :)

Thanks for trying to get us back on track Bo. I think we're too far gone though. :)

No worries. We're all cool with it. At one point in my early career I tried having a rack, but that was back in the early days and it wasn't quite as "erector set" as it is today. I recall always having to have someone on the other side to help pick it up if it had to be moved. I like your design, but I'm afraid I'm still of the I can move my stuff faster one-by-one crowd.

I'm curious to know if anybody else, when they got a standard rack, did they have the issue of sympathetic vibrations going through it and affecting the rest of the gear that wasn't played?

I'm curious to know if anybody else, when they got a standard rack, did they have the issue of sympathetic vibrations going through it and affecting the rest of the gear that wasn't played?
I got my first rack in 1984 (ahem). It was a very basic tube affair, & not well made or that stable. There certainly was some sympathetic resonance issues, but that was decades before suspension mounts. I have a Pearl DRC rack right now. There's no sympathetic resonance issues associated with direct physical transfer. It's lighter than the same facility in stands, & a lot faster to put up. I think kit complexity is the break point on the decision to use a rack or stands. My personal pov is that anything 4 drums or less, and/or 4 cymbals or less, it's better to use stands. I also prefer the look of a simple kit with stands. I have a 6 piece kit with 3 crashes, two chinas, three splashes & ride. The rack really helps me maintain a small stage footprint, & setup is faster and simplified.

Attachments

• CIMG6009-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG6009-Optimized.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 1,841
Back