Levon Helm Fans

jbteitelbaum

As we fact approach the 2 year anniversary of the passing of the late great Levon Helm, I wanted to take a minute to express my gratitude for his inspiration on my drumming and overall musicality. There isn't a day that goes by without me thinking about Levon. It is not only his musicianship, but his positively infectious attitude toward life, and his uncanny ability to brighten up a room and put a smile on everyone's face.

This one's for you Levon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEpgtbotb8

Wow that was easy to listen to man - nicely done!

To this day when I hear "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" I still get goose bumps - got em right now in fact...

Peace Mr. Helm

I met him shortly before he passed away,at his place in Woodstock NY.A kind,funny,warm and talanted gentleman,who could groove so deep,if you ever fell in,you'd never get out.I miss his great playing and singing.

His acting chops were pretty good also...check out his role as Ridley in "The Right Stuff",which to me is a stand alone movie,and needs to be seen by everyone interested in space travel,and what it took to get us there.They were a special breed of man...as was Levon.

Steve B

Last edited:
That is a band. Piano, horn section, drums, lead and bass. I had a t-shirt 20 years ago that read, If it ain't got brass, it ain't a band.

Levon was a gentleman and great musician. Part of his legacy should be an example to others not to smoke. That is what took him far too early.

His acting chops were pretty good also...check out his role as Ridley in "The Right Stuff",which to me is a stand alone movie,and needs to be seen by everyone interested in space travel,and what it took to get us there.They were a special breed of man...as was Levon.

Steve B

Yeager: "Ya got any Beeman?"
Ridley: "I might have me a stick"
Yeager: "Well, give me some will ya?..I'll pay ya back later"
Ridley: "Fair enough"

Love the movie and Levon's playing. Icons both

+1 on the smoking. Lost most of my immediate family even younger than Levon to smoking related deaths.

Jim

This is a photo from what was possible the musical highlight of my life..playing on Levon's kit at one of his Midnight Rambles about 3 or so years ago. I was there gigging with Detroit legend, Mitch Ryder. Not only did I get to play on his drums but I got to play percussion with him on "The Weight". He was an incerdibly gracious man, inviting us into his home to hang after the show. A true music angel. Whether we know it or not, we've all been influenced by his musicianship. He is missed but will never be forgotten.....

Attachments

• levons place.jpg
    levons place.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 152
This is a photo from what was possible the musical highlight of my life..playing on Levon's kit at one of his Midnight Rambles about 3 or so years ago. I was there gigging with Detroit legend, Mitch Ryder. Not only did I get to play on his drums but I got to play percussion with him on "The Weight". He was an incerdibly gracious man, inviting us into his home to hang after the show. A true music angel. Whether we know it or not, we've all been influenced by his musicianship. He is missed but will never be forgotten.....

that is fantastic!

I was lucky enough to catch a few Rambles up at Levons place

a truly gracious gentlemen

Ron,

We have a mutual friend in Craig C. and he speaks about his visit to Levon's home as a major moment for him, too.

I'm a huge fan, by the way, and I know Craig is, too!

Wow. Getting goosebumps thinking about this. Awesome!

I watched a documentary about Levon and his later years. Inspiring, he was sick, but kept playing till the end. His drumming has always been and always will be a huge inspiration for me and his graciouness.

Have a drink in Heaven with Bonham for me Levon!

Back