Another new (to the site) old guy (55... is that old??)

PremierLover

Thanks for letting me join the site. I started playing back in the early 70's in the high school band. Met a few other instrument players there, tried to get something going, but usually never got off the ground. Played in a few "Legion" type bands in the late 70's/early 80's, but then the mortgage, kids and all that that entails happened, so, out-the-window went playing. Put my Premier set in storage for~30 years, and when the mortgage was paid, and the kids had moved out, I decided to get back into drumming. I've been jamming lately with a bunch of guys in the same boat (different instruments, though) and if we hold it together, maybe we can make a buck or two while having a bunch of fun.

Here's a couple pics of my one-owner Premier Resonator kit from the 70's (see also thread "Show Us your Premier kit" in the "Your Gear" section)

EDIT 12-20-12...Just had my memory "jogged" a bit, and I think these were Premier Elite's, not Resonators as previously stated, "johngraham" pointed out that Resonators had an inner shell to cover the lug hardware inside the shells.

Attachments

• PremierDadsDrumSet.jpg
    PremierDadsDrumSet.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DadsOldPremierDrumsSnare.jpg
    DadsOldPremierDrumsSnare.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Re: Another new (to the site) old guy(55...is that old??)

Welcome. I'm a new old guy myself. I played in the high school band, bought a used kit with money from my first real job (US Navy) and just jammed along to records. Never even played in a group until I was 35 or so. I'm now 56 and have been gigging semi-regularly for the past seven or eight years.

Nice kit.

Last edited:

Love those Premier Resonators. Sweet. Welcome to Drummerworld.​

Welcome! What a classy lookin' kit! I recall seeing the ads for those as late as 1982. It's amazing you've paid off your mortgage, I just bought my house seven years ago so I'm at the bottom of the curve!

55 is not too old. Actually, no age is ever too old. It's how you feel when you play that makes your actual age!

The drums of that era were great, can't fault them but the hardware was awful. Those stands would not be up to gigging and on an uneven floor they tend to topple. The Hi Hat stand is weak at the base and might crack if played heavily.
I would change all of those for braced hardware. Otherwise a great kit, they seem to run well on Remo Pinstripes.

No its not old...Welcome ....Great you could store your kit for all those years.Life starts when the kids move out for us old drummers:]

Old? Heck...it's younger every day! Lol. I'm a semi-old gal myself so you're in good company here. Welcome! And very cool looking kit!

Old? Heck...it's younger every day! Lol. I'm a semi-old gal myself so you're in good company here. Welcome! And very cool looking kit!

How old is the other half Mary? :)

No, Mr Lover, you're not too old just yet... you have another 70 odd years in front of you... Welcome to the madness :)

Great kit, welcome to the forum, 51 years young here.

Thanks for letting me join the site. I started playing back in the early 70's in the high school band. Met a few other instrument players there, tried to get something going, but usually never got off the ground. Played in a few "Legion" type bands in the late 70's/early 80's, but then the mortgage, kids and all that that entails happened, so, out-the-window went playing. Put my Premier set in storage for~30 years, and when the mortgage was paid, and the kids had moved out, I decided to get back into drumming. I've been jamming lately with a bunch of guys in the same boat (different instruments, though) and if we hold it together, maybe we can make a buck or two while having a bunch of fun.

Here's a couple pics of my one-owner Premier Resonator kit from the 70's (see also thread "Show Us your Premier kit" in the "Your Gear" section)

Love those old Premiers .. I bet they sound incredible.

RE: 55 is that old??? Ed Shaughnessy is still gigging and he is 83!

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, there are plenty of.. hmmmm .. older dudes like us here.

Nice Premiers.

Bash away my friend, just don't break a hip.

Almost 65 here and that is one number I didn't care to reach. All of my junk mail is now about Medicare. Good God. Nice looking kit for sure. Welcome and thanks for figuring out where to post what. Most newbies end up putting everything in the first section they come upon. Have fun.

Welcome and like seeing that you've kept your collection of vinyl LPs :)

Welcome back to the party! 55 is not old..............

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Just had my memory "jogged" a bit, and I think these were Premier Elite's, not Resonators as previously stated, "johngraham" pointed out that Resonators had an inner shell to cover the lug hardware inside the shells. It's been a while since I bought them..."OldTimers" disease settin' in ,you know! I didn't keep up on drum knowledge for those years I was "out of circulation"!!

Last edited:

I'm new here and 57 years old. It's great to be this age for me because I play for the enjoyment of drumming and not trying to be "somebody". I started at age 12 when my clarinet was left on my chair too much and our band teacher said "You might as well be a drummer, since you spend so much time playing with the drums".
I'm lucky to have a background in a wide variety of music styles and after not playing fo the last 15 years I'm back playing at church with a bunch of youngsters and having fun. I play Roland V drums at church and practice on a 5 piece set of Ego drums that belong to the church. I have quite a bit of vintage drum stuff in varying condition but would like to restore my early 70's Slingerland 5 piece kit that I got at Weaver Music in Michigan brand new. They are PURPLE!
I have them apart and will get them back together a little at a time as I find parts and pieces.
Old? Body yes, brain? No!

Welcome, PL! I'm 52, so I think you can see, the ages are all over the place here. Those are nice looking drums. You will be glad you resumed playing.

I'm new here and 57 years old. It's great to be this age for me because I play for the enjoyment of drumming and not trying to be "somebody". I started at age 12 when my clarinet was left on my chair too much and our band teacher said "You might as well be a drummer, since you spend so much time playing with the drums".
I'm lucky to have a background in a wide variety of music styles and after not playing fo the last 15 years I'm back playing at church with a bunch of youngsters and having fun. I play Roland V drums at church and practice on a 5 piece set of Ego drums that belong to the church. I have quite a bit of vintage drum stuff in varying condition but would like to restore my early 70's Slingerland 5 piece kit that I got at Weaver Music in Michigan brand new. They are PURPLE!
I have them apart and will get them back together a little at a time as I find parts and pieces.
Old? Body yes, brain? No!

Welcome! I'd like to see those old Slingerlands in purple. Those were my first proper drums my parents started me on back in 1976, so I have a soft spot for things Slingerland ;)

Another new (to the site) old guy(55...is that old??)....

Wow! That's really old! I'm surprised you know how to use the internet - LOL.

Just kidding. I think there's a fair share of guys here older than you.
The drums look like they've been really well kept. Classic look that never gets old (unlike us - ha ha).

Back