New here :)

Alexshudrums

Hello! We are new to the forum, we've really enjoyed all the informative!
Our son started drumming at age 5, he's now 7. He's come along way in 2 years and we are excited to see what the future holds for him. Any suggestions any of you have for us please feel free to let us know :).

Here is one of his latest drum covers.
http://youtu.be/TMNr5hYsr-A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 224
Hello! We are new to the forum, we've really enjoyed all the informative!
Our son started drumming at age 5, he's now 7. He's come along way in 2 years and we are excited to see what the future holds for him. Any suggestions any of you have for us please feel free to let us know :).

Here is one of his latest drum covers.
http://youtu.be/TMNr5hYsr-A

First,welcome to the forum .That performance was ok,and he shows a lot of confidence in his playing,but If I'm being honest,keeping good time is more important then showmanship.The time seemed to waver ,and he had some trouble finding the 2&4 sometimes.

Good effort though...keep it up.You'll only get better with practice.

Steve B

Thank you... That's really what we are looking for. Generally speaking people we know aren't going to give us constructive criticism on our child. He's come along way in 2 years but we look for anything to try and help him get better and realize he has a long way to go.

He has been taking lessons for over a year now, we were thankfull to find a good teacher locally. It has helped him a lot with slowing him down and making him smoother. It is truly amazing to watch him progress. We are not musically inclined nor do we have any background in music so we need input from people like you guys who do know :).

He definitely is a little showman not just in drums but everything... At first we tried to stop it but it took a lot of his fun with it away so we decided to back off and let him have fun. We don't make him practice and don't want to go that route with him. We just want to keep it fun. Most of these videos we tape on the fly and they are not rehearsed, people will ask him to play songs for them but he mostly picks his own.

If someone would of told us 2 years ago our son would be obsessed with drums we would of laughed it off.... This all started with a Journey DVD and him seeing Deen Castronovo. He went and got an exercise ball and kitchen utensils and started beating...

Here's another link.... http://youtu.be/x3XvG8wVN-Q

He is going to be great when he is big enough to properly address that kit. In any case, if he sticks with it he will be great cause he has a nice head start.

There are some bad habits forming; the stiff wrists, the seating position, the distance from the kit. maybe he has another more appropriate kit; if not I would get him into a smaller setup; maybe even a jazz kit and get it more ergonomically setup for the little fella....with some attention paid to the fundamentals and some focus on more appropriate technique he will take off and blossom.

The playing at this moment, honestly, is what one would expect from any beginner. The song I watched has it's moments where it is close, but it would not be able to be played with a band. These videos are great to ascertain the weaknesses and discuss them and review with the teacher.

Thanks for the info. Yes this is his only kit right now, he had a child's set he started out with and they didn't last long with playing everyday. We had to quickly start upgrading things. He got these Tamas for his 7th birthday. He just got the Spider Rack for Christmas to try and clean up all the cymbal stands we had going on in there. We ordered some additional parts for it to make it fit better for him.

One of my reason for posting is because his teacher doesn't get a chance to watch most of these and there is no internet connection or phone signal when we go there. He watches some but works full time, then all these lessons, plus has 2 kids of his own, (you know the drill). I try and watch You tube videos to help him with little things that I grasp like the proper way to hit a cymbal! At lessons they use an electronic drum set with cymbals a 1/4 of the size of his at home. He was hitting dead on the stand and we had broken cymbals so I started looking for things on You Tube and bam.... I had never thought of hitting something like that dead on and all the resistance. So we brought it up at lessons and he addressed it with him. He didn't even notice because he doesn't do it on the electronic ones....

There are just so many small aspects to drumming that make a huge difference. Like you stated we are concerned for him picking up bad habits because they are hard to reverse but on the other hand we hate to make it into a chore that he won't have the passion to do what he's been doing, which is drum, sleep, drum, eat, drum and make up setlists! Haha...

Thanks again... 1st thing we are going to address the wrists!

Back