Neil Peart - A Newfound Appreciation

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Tonight I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Rush live for the first time. Now up until tonight, I had always enjoyed Rush, and in particular Neil Peart's playing. I mean, we've all seen the videos (and I'm sure many of you have seen them live as well) and listened to the music. And that's great, I've rated Neil Peart as one of my favourite drummers - stylistically speaking - for quite some time now. But seeing him perform live?

Wow.

When he first got up behind the kit, I felt a distinct (pardon the pun) rush of adrenaline. Without even playing a note, there was just something about his very presence on stage that just captivated me; I think it may have been knowing that I was seeing a legend getting ready to play. All I can say is that his playing, his fluid, fluid playing really struck me as to how much of an amazing drummer he is. Up until tonight, I suppose I have always taken his playing for granted. Yet seeing him, hearing his placement of notes, his ability to crank out a groovy beat with little effort just really spoke to me. This man deserves every ounce of fame he has earned among drummers; truly a fantastic player in every regard. Only now can I appreciate his nickname - "The Professor".

So to those who have not had a chance to see The Professor and Rush play live, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Cheers!

Glad you finally got to see them live! I have seen all but two tours since 1979, and I still enjoy their shows. Neil gets a bad rap from some folks, but I really enjoy his power and precision, and the composition of his drum parts.

I'll never get into an argument about who's best, etc, but I'll say Neil and Rush have provided a thread of continuity and pleasure throughout my adult life. They'll always be favorites, and it's nice to hear from others who enjoy them!

I'm glad it was awesome for you.

I've been and admirer of NP for a long time.
I've seen Rush twice, and they were great, but after Signals, their music didn't have the same appeal to me. I like a lot of the last couple albums, but I haven't followed the band much. I do have the dvd's though.

It is different seeing someone live, than on live dvd's, or toutorial's though. You get a much better grasp of what they are about "in the moment, on the job".

Since joining this forum last year I have been surprised at how many people down grade NP for one reason or another. I keep trying to see why. Glad you got to see him live. I have seen them live about a dozen times starting in 1976. I really like his style.

I've said before, even if you don't like Rush and find their music to be fingers on a chalk board, you should see Neil live in person at least once.

His precision and power in person is something to behold.

His ability to reproduce the albums live, note for note, with the same intensity and precision as the studio recordings, and with the power of a live loud rock show, and do it for 3 hours, is incredible.

I saw them in May when the came to Baltimore, it was glorious! He's just epic.

I've seen them twice now.

I always want to go home and practice. It's an almost surreal experience. Watching someone so great play inspires me, it's real pick-me-up and just gets the percussive blood flowing.

He really is magnificent.

Neil Peart was my second biggest influence growing up (the first was Phil Collins). The 70's and 80's Rush was certainly a huge influence on me. I will always love that stuff.

He's great.

I dont own any Rush records but what I like so much about Peart is he's so articulate about his craft and playing. He really does come across well spoken when he speaks with everything in his playing/solos for a reason and structured and really thought out. He also comes across as a really good guy also.

Perfect role model. I have so much respect for him as a person, let alone a drummer.

I've said before, even if you don't like Rush and find their music to be fingers on a chalk board, you should see Neil live in person at least once.

His precision and power in person is something to behold.

His ability to reproduce the albums live, note for note, with the same intensity and precision as the studio recordings, and with the power of a live loud rock show, and do it for 3 hours, is incredible.

I've never really cared too much for Geddy Lee's voice. Although I respect and admire the entire bands ability to play extremely well, I would rather listen to other stuff

That being said, I'd still love to see NP live, he is amazing and I'm sure it would be inspirational

I saw them live in Frankfurt to a packed arena. The Frankfurt Festhalle (about 13,000 or so for concerts) and they played about 3 hours straight. A flawless performance and great live show. These past few years I just was not so interested in Rush as when I was young. This concert really made me appreciate their skill and live performance.

It is truly awe inspiring when you actually are in his presence. There was no band more huge in my high school and thousands others in the late 70s/early 80s. Rush must be experienced live to reeally "get" them. Alex and Geddy aren't bad either ..lol

Neil is one of the drummers who has inspired that 'awe' in me, at least back when I was younger. I didn't have too many idols, but he was one of them. I don't listen to Rush as much now, but I'll always hold a special place for them.

Neil inspired tons of drummers. I love the way he played. Sure, it was over-the-top and kind of crazy at times, but what's wrong with that? It fit the band and their music.

And yeah, his attitude and his smarts make him even more interesting to me.

I've gotten to see Rush live twice and I'm a huge fan of the band. Neil composes great drum parts for the music and is an brilliant lyricist. Is he my favorite drummer? Not by a long-shot but since I love Rush's music, what he does is perfect for that band.

I saw them recently.

Oh, wait. It was actually fall of 1978. Hemispheres tour. Pat Travers, on their Heat in the Street tour, was the opening band.

Incredible!

I was lucky enough to see about all the great bands back then, except Led Zep...

I am not much of a Rush fan, although I do like some of their songs. I think Neil has wonderful skills and I really enjoy his active drumming style. I have never seen them/him play in person but I have seen quite a few video concerts. It is very impressive that he is able to duplicate those difficult drum parts live!

Having said all this.........I don't really enjoy watching him play. He seems so stiff and mechanical; almost machine like. Maybe it takes that type of concentration to pull it off, but he sure doesn't look like he is having much fun. Compare him to someone like Steve Smith, who is so smooth, relaxed and happy looking while performing. Both exceptional players and I really like what I HEAR each of them doing; I just prefer to WATCH the ease with which someone like Steve Smith plays over Neil's look. Not sure if this makes much sense to some; just my .02 worth!

I'm looking forward to seeing Neil play this Sunday night, they're doing two shows here, Friday and Sunday.

Such a huge influence on me when I was younger, and although I don't really listen to Rush anymore and I'm much more influenced by other drummers these days....still a lot of respect for the man and the band.

I think a lot of people are unfairly harsh on Neil. Yeah, he's not a great roots/blues/jazz drummer but he has a lot of integrity and has been such a positive influence and a great role model for younger players everywhere.
This will be my second time seeing Neil here in Halifax...first time was back in 1988 on the Hold Your Fire tour. I was a freshman at St. Francis Xavier University in the Jazz program....and you know what? Almost ALL of the jazz drummers ( 12-13 of us) rented a van and drove 3 hours to see Neil. We all really enjoyed it...and there were some hard core, "old bop/ hard-bop" jazzers in the group, as well as more modern jazz fans.

So what happened? There has been so much ill will towards Neil over the last decade (not in this thread...yet :)
When did we become so intolerant?

Last edited:
Was this at Bluesfest in Ottawa? I was there too :)

Bluesfest it was! I was incredibly lucky to be about 30 feet from the stage, with a miraculously unobstructed view (I'm pretty short)!

I'm glad to hear so many of you have had the chance to see them live as well, and are of the same opinion. It really makes all the difference seeing it all happen for yourself!

I am not much of a Rush fan, although I do like some of their songs. I think Neil has wonderful skills and I really enjoy his active drumming style. I have never seen them/him play in person but I have seen quite a few video concerts. It is very impressive that he is able to duplicate those difficult drum parts live!

Having said all this.........I don't really enjoy watching him play. He seems so stiff and mechanical; almost machine like. Maybe it takes that type of concentration to pull it off, but he sure doesn't look like he is having much fun. Compare him to someone like Steve Smith, who is so smooth, relaxed and happy looking while performing. Both exceptional players and I really like what I HEAR each of them doing; I just prefer to WATCH the ease with which someone like Steve Smith plays over Neil's look. Not sure if this makes much sense to some; just my .02 worth!

Yeah, I totally am with you on this. I am a HUGE Rush fan but watching Neil is extremely uncomfortable for me. Freddie Gruber did great things helping Steve Smith and Weckl set their kits up more ergonomically and help them more smoothly execute things but I have no idea what it did for Neil. In fact, his current kit looks like an exercise in frustration to play with all the reaching he has to do to hit things. He just looks really awkward and uncomfortable when he plays, even more now than before the Gruber thing. As the drummer for Rush, he's pure genius. As a drummer OUTSIDE of Rush, well... I'll just stop right now before I offend somebody. :)

Back