Switching from Yamaha to Mapex!

wow, yami to mapex.... oooouffff.

I would keep the Absolutes. They are going to be discontinued with some other kits. Going to China. The Absolutes will certainly retain their value since the last being made in Japan until June.

I just came from the Sonor Select maples. The Absolute birch customs are unbelievable. Well they should be for the money LOL. But, as others are saying, listen and forget the what the badge says....

good luck in your pursuit of happiness...

Not sure why there is so much Mapex bashing in this thread.
Hey! Let's just get one thing straight: I only bash the Saturn badges. Everything else Mapex does is fine with me. Okay, I lied; the MyDentityCrisis bit should have been a joke, but sadly wasn't. Their new logo is pretty lame, too.

But as drums, I've liked them since first playing a set almost 15 years ago. Nothing wrong with their drums, and no problems with them from me. And they just seem to be getting better over time. Just cos I wouldn't trade an MCA for one doesn't mean I dislike Mapex. It just means that I like the Yammies better. No bashing Mapex with that sentiment.

They should definitely fire their entire marketing dept though! :D

The lame marketing department plague/phenom is hardly unique to drum companies - just look at Sabian's logo! Ha ha! ... and the last engineering firm I worked for ... and a long list of other capitalistic ventures.

Wow. If you criticize it (or even mildly suggest it is inferior to any other brand) he will come. Kudos to Mapex for making high quality kits for an affordable price, but there is a reason Yamaha commands the respect it does (did). Decades of nearly unimpeachable quality control is hard to beat. The resale numbers don't lie. Not to mention, I have to wonder whether trendier (ugly cough cough) finishes on the Saturn IVs will really have the same appeal in ten years as the more timeless finishes on the MCAs.

hey guys,
long time lurker. not sure but this may be my 1st post.

anyway...

i think that all things being equal mapex puts out a great product. i have a 7 pc m birch and really like it. if i could get a saturn in the finish i want for a great deal i would jump on it.

i have a friend who plays bass and his drummer uses yamahas. saw them live last summer and his kit sounded great. they're yammies they should sound great.

any pro level kit "should" sound great, and saturns are pro level let's be clear, but playing clubs has really changed since i played out. almost everywhere you play they are triggering so you could set up a pile of bricks and they would sound AWESOME!!! LOL
exageratting of course but you get what i'm saying.
yammies have the cahe. they've earned it. but mapex saturns are no entry level "toy" kit and some pretty renowned players use them.

didn't russ miller just leave yamaha for mapex after endorsing them for what 100 years??? but on the other side matt halpren left mapex for yamaha so ...

i play what sounds good at the price point i can justify.
i think that's how it should be done. i am not brand loyal in that respect.

thanks,
K

hey guys,
long time lurker. not sure but this may be my 1st post.
thanks,
K
A big welcome to the forum :) Pity your first post ended up being on a polluted thread, but if you've been lurking for a while, you'll know that happens occasionally.

If almost all the gigs you go to feature triggered drums, is there a particular genre you're into?

I'm pleased you have a kit you're happy with. That's a major tick in the expectation box irrespective of price.

A big welcome to the forum :) Pity your first post ended up being on a polluted thread, but if you've been lurking for a while, you'll know that happens occasionally.

If almost all the gigs you go to feature triggered drums, is there a particular genre you're into?

I'm pleased you have a kit you're happy with. That's a major tick in the expectation box irrespective of price.

i like a lot of different stuff. my friend's band i mentioned is rock/funk in the chili peppers vain. i have friends that play metal, hard rock, classic rock etc.
a lot of, not all, the places in the NY area have house sound people and they like to keep things as simple as possible i guess.

i like a lot of different stuff. my friend's band i mentioned is rock/funk in the chili peppers vain. i have friends that play metal, hard rock, classic rock etc.
a lot of, not all, the places in the NY area have house sound people and they like to keep things as simple as possible i guess.
Ah, so it's the house sound guys who like to trigger? Interesting. I don't come across that here.

Anyhow, welcome again :)

I love Mapex drums. My Saturn snare is the best snare I have ever owned. The Yamaha set owned by the OP is about the same in quality, just different. I made the mistake of buying a drum set once just because I was tired of my old set, which was a very good set. I was just trying to help the OP not make the same mistake. Peace and goodwill.

Back