Pearl Q-Popper Snare

zephead19

Alright so i was in a local drum store today and they had one of these on display. I hit it and loved it. It was almost exactly what I was looking for in a side snare. Quick with a good amount of crack (ideally i would like a little more but hey). Also I loved how easily it doubled as a timbale when you throw the snares off. I also am interested by the mount as I really like that possiblity. My problem is though that I play hard rock/ alternative so im not sure if it will cut through. Does anybody know if it will? And if not can someone recommend me a good side snare for what I want (good crack, decent sound with snares off, ideally 12x5 or 12x6, maybe piccolo)
Thanks, Zephead

i was in similar situation and bought 12x5 yamaha stage custom birch side snare few days ago. I already have hipgig Marotta snare that has great sound in same sizes, but i dont want to dismatch it from whole hipgig set.
Yamahas mount and rosette are very stable.
I want to use this snare also as cocktail kit main snare. cheers

i actually play a premier 12x7 as a main snare, and i can tell you, it does really cut. i usually run a cs reverse dot on it when i'm running it tight, but lately i'm using a vintage a, tuned medium. i think i'm going back to a tighter tuning, but both tunings offer a good crack to it.

i was in similar situation and bought 12x5 yamaha stage custom birch side snare few days ago. I already have hipgig Marotta snare that has great sound in same sizes, but i dont want to dismatch it from whole hipgig set.
Yamahas mount and rosette are very stable.
I want to use this snare also as cocktail kit main snare. cheers

Ok thanks a lot sf. But do you know if this drum would be able to cut with good crack in a heavier situation?

You are welcome.
I think it will work for heavier stuff too, i play my hipgig on big stages(rock/pop,R/B,funk) without problems, just put remo emperor x on batter and it will be fine.
If you have a lot of money to spend on the snare, i would buy brady 12x7 Jarrah Block- Steve Jordan plays it as main snare sometimes, also Larry Mullen jr. etc., you can hear it also on Vitalogy album - Pearl Jam. it is very loud, it has beautiful crack and sounds huge and fat.
You can not make anything wrong with Yamaha stage custom birch 12x5 snare, yamaha mount is more stable than Q popper mount.
After all you must decide what works for you better.
Good luck

I was thinking of getting this same drum; any idea how the snare sound manages to not be overly rattle-y despite the lack of snare beds on the bottom bearing edge?

Couple of weeks ago I ended up buying a Mapex black panther side snare. Man this thing is in your face. From what your describing it sounds like it's what your looking for. Go here: http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/blackpanther/index.asp
Scroll almost all the way to the right and look for the 10x5.5 stainless steel. You can even listen to sound samples. Hope this helps!

Back