One week intense "Jazz workshop"...

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Hey guys!

Here I am with a report. Or maybe it`s some promo at the same time...whatever, I thought I`d share my experience regarding the last week. Our trio`s piano player and my self attended a intensive Jazz workshop...one week on the German isle "Rügen".

Actually I didn`t get anything of the nature or the sea......but I can say that I went to the coast at least! =)
Well, the band "QUARTz" did this workshop. And I can`t find words for this experience...but I`m gonna try.

First day: Max (piano player, band mate) and me went there two days earlier to prepare some gigs with a double bass player from Berlin there. In the evening the band (QUARTz) played at a bar...and wow, they wanted us to play with them...I can just say that this was whole new thing, to play some standards with them. Just another world...

By the way: QUARTz is a Danish quartet which consists of Kasper Tom Christiansen (drums), Andreas Lang (double bass), Frederik Vedersoe (guitar) and Mads La Cour Langelund (flugelhorn). Here`s their Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/quartzmusicdk

When the official workshop began every day started with a healthy breakfast and rhythm training. Moreover we were divided in bands...we worked with Kasper.
We just played so much, practiced the whole day...if we did this one year I couldn`t even imagine where this would end.
An crazy-awesome arrangement of Ornette Coleman`s 'What Reason Could I Give'...or a piece by Kasper...in 23/4. Divided in 4/4+3/4+4/4+5/4+4/4+3/4...

Then some private lessons, every evening some burning jam sessions...some hours of sleep...then the same again. Some gigs...just so amazing. Oh, and some new contacts. :)

I can highly recommend these people, the band. If you get the chance to listen to them live...do it!! Some of the guys should be to NYC for example.

A great week, I`m gonna get some sound files or video footage!

Here`re some photos of my set-up I used for the week:

SDC12979copy.jpg

SDC12980copy.jpg

SDC12983copy.jpg

SDC12981copy.jpg

PS: Wow, four years and two days ago I joined this forum...how time runs!

Best wishes,

Karl

Sounds like a life-changing kind of experience Karl! Glad you had the opportunity to be a part of it--thanks for sharing!

And, congratulations on four years on the forum!

spleen

Hey Karlos, I'm happy when you are deeply immersed in jazz because i know you are happy being deeply immersed in jazz : )

This sounds like an incredible experience! Lets hear sound files and movies : )

Hi!

Thanks a lot! Yes, it was another crucial experience for us. I think that our first product is a Giant Steps arrangement in 5. We enjoyed it so much!
Abe, being immersed in Jazz music SO deeply made this week so wonderful.

Thanks!

Karl

Back