***Sign the DW Boycott List***

Roy E. Munson

I am going to keep this short.

John Good "I just think it would be best if you sent the drums back and got a refund. I don't think we can make the kit that you want."

Dear DW,
Due to the recent actions your company and CEO John Good has taken in response to customer service, quality, and troubleshooting I hereby will not purchase ANY of your products until a full apology and explanation for your actions is publicly made and accepted by myself, those whose time you have wasted, and all whose expectations you have failed to satisfy! Your approach, conduct, and resolution has NOT gone unnoticed!

Respectfully......

Last edited:
Netz Ausg - Service is a key element of any retail product, and unfortunately your approach is unacceptable. Your consumer's cash has been invested with you for a year now, so you have literally profitted on that investment whilst he has lost - financially and emotionally.

It being I don't own anything DW right now, I'm in. I did have two DW kits and pedals in my not-to-distant past, but I was unimpressed - especially after you look at the dollar-to-sound ratio!

Shame on them for this travesty of customer service.

It would be nice to hear a brief explanation (your bad experience) as to why you're hanging shit on a company, I think that's only fair.

For what ever reason, something went completely bassackwards here with Boom's order and with the communication between himself and DW and considering how bad this turned out I will sign it to show support to a fellow drummer for the experience he had. Though I honestly have nothing to gripe about or to even have a bitter taste toward DW about seeing as though my stuff is in tip top shape. Though with how his drums were shipped to him and how this turned out I will sign in and don't plan to buy anything further from them as well. I really enjoy the quality of these PDP's but having customer service like this, especially with high dollar amount products is inexcusable. What's not to say this happens to any of us and I tend to believe this is one of the worst cases of ordering drums I have read about on the net.

So with that said, still a fan in the background as everything has been fine with my purchases but this was a horrible experience to share with another drummer even if just by way of a forum.

Easy for me since I've never owned a DW Drum in my life. I do have an old DW5000 pedal. It's not great enough to play so it sits in a bag as a backup on gigs and takes back seat to a Yamaha pedal.

I know someone who has a DW Set purchased back in the early 90's where the wrap bubbled and pulled off the shell about 10 years later. He sent the set back to be restored, but it's doing the same thing again.

kettles - Considering that I live halfway around the world, any drama with custom orders would have to be entirely non existent from the get go. Your products are advertised here but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone after reading about this ordeal.

It would be nice to hear a brief explanation (your bad experience) as to why you're hanging shit on a company, I think that's only fair.

There is a 4 page (or longer) almost year long answer to this thread.

Don't own DW drums, won't either.

My two kits are Gretsch and Ludwig (further proof that quality American drums were [and still are] available long before DW existed) -- and I love them both.
I have never had a service problem with either.

This sounds more like boycott John Good. Maybe someone else in this company should know about him and how he represents DW to buyers?

I'll boycott them anyway. Their stuff is overpriced and their snare sounds too perfectly sterile to me. I'd recommend Ludwigs anyway if you're spending that kind of dough. But alas there's the "Ludwig Horror Stories" out there too..

Eh, buy vintage.

Where is this other thread? DW's customer service is typically stellar. As a once-boutique drum company, they never lost their personal touch as they grew into the large company we know them as today. OTOH, I don't believe any company is 100% all the time, and the number of failings and remedies should be considered carefully before castigating - or defending - them. I'd like to know more. Honestly, when I saw what John Good said, my first thought was that it takes a big man to admit that he can't help the customer. I think it's a good idea to learn more before jumping on such a bandwagon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have owned only one DW drum (a snare which I didn't like, and gave away) and I had endorsed their pedals until 2006. Still, I respect the people there, and think this situation deserves more than a few lines at the start of a thread.

Link to other thread please?

Bermuda

I exclusively use 11 pieces of their hardware (e.g. cymbal stands, pedals and throne) with my USA Customs. No problems so far. I am happy with what they offer and would purchase their products again.

Sorry you had problems.

GJS

I won't buy anything new from DW.
I think the smaller companies deserve my business more, like Andy and Deans Guru's. DW is so big that this thread, as well intended as it is, probably won't faze them.

If I was JG, I'd be getting fanny right here defending himself. Curious to see if he cares enough.

I have read horror stories from different places, different companies, but I have also encountered customers I would not send to my worst enemies. No matter how hard I try to build a perfect drum, there is always some little flaw to be found, and unfortuneatly, when you put your reputation on a pedestal along with your price, certain customers will never fail to find the micro flaw, and turn it into an international incident.

Gretsch 135 years......
DW 40 years
They seem to be doing more work on new techniques of drum building rather than customer building. I'm sure they treat their endorsees better since they are seen more on stage.
Such a shame. But as someone mentioned dollar to sound ration is lacking a bit much.

Back