I love Elvin's playing (mods, please delete me)

I'm confused by your title and post

are you complaining about Elvins playing?

im a brit. i'm not sure what thats supposed to mean.

i think he's one of the greatest drummers that has ever lived. i think his playing is inspirational.

hmm, it seems this thread didn't really work out as expected. I love Elvin's playing, and constantly look to it for inspiration. My original post was meant to be sarcastic frustration at not being able to play like him, but I suppose it fell rather flat...

I just thought you had some kind of madness that we'd not yet seen ... you never know with people on the net :)

hmm, it seems this thread didn't really work out as expected. I love Elvin's playing, and constantly look to it for inspiration. My original post was meant to be sarcastic frustration at not being able to play like him, but I suppose it fell rather flat...

I'll bite.

I'm not really a fan of Elvin. I mean, I get that he's an enormous talent but his playing just doesn't "do it" for me. It just seems too busy for my tastes. Do I wish I could play like him? Sure. Would I ever use it anywhere? Probably not.

I've never been asked by anyone to "play something Elvin-like" either. I think most folks appreciate a style easier to follow without getting too busy behind the kit. I suspect that his playing worked well only with the people he chose to play with.

Oh, and toddbishop had a good question... what are your Riley routines? I'd be interested to know.

I'll bite.

I'm not really a fan of Elvin. I mean, I get that he's an enormous talent but his playing just doesn't "do it" for me. It just seems too busy for my tastes. Do I wish I could play like him? Sure. Would I ever use it anywhere? Probably not.

I've never been asked by anyone to "play something Elvin-like" either. I think most folks appreciate a style easier to follow without getting too busy behind the kit. I suspect that his playing worked well only with the people he chose to play with.

Oh, and toddbishop had a good question... what are your Riley routines? I'd be interested to know.

what have you listened to one song with Elvin on it in your whole life?

this post is such an unbelievable exaggeration that im actually taken aback

Elvin was a master of touch, patience, dynamics, and time

tons of "over playing" here right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsvMf8X0FY

.....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life .

what have you listened to one song with Elvin on it in your whole life?

this post is such an unbelievable exaggeration that im actually taken aback

Elvin was a master of touch, patience, dynamics, and time

tons of "over playing" here right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsvMf8X0FY

.....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life .

Actually after a while, I do tire of hearing it. Like I said, I'm just not a fan. The second half of the song just wears on me. I have this record and have only played it a couple times.

Oh, and the ".....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life" was a douchy touch. You're all I've come to expect from NJ.

Actually after a while, I do tire of hearing it. Like I said, I'm just not a fan. The second half of the song just wears on me. I have this record and have only played it a couple times.

Oh, and the ".....and don't worry ....if someone asked you to "play something Elvin like" you wouldn't be able to if you tried for the rest of your life" was a douchy touch. You're all I've come to expect from NJ.

nice use of the word "douchy" and props on the NJ comment

yr obviously a bright one

Wow. Just...wow.

Elvin is one of the most original, organic, creative drummers to have ever lived. His role in Trane's group transcended music and ventures into something cosmic and spiritual. Every jazz drummer has been influenced by him.

If you can't appreciate Elvin there is a huge hole in your knowledge and understanding of jazz, of drumming and of music in general.

Wow. Just...wow.

Elvin is one of the most original, organic, creative drummers to have ever lived. His role in Trane's group transcended music and ventures into something cosmic and spiritual. Every jazz drummer has been influenced by him.

If you can't appreciate Elvin there is a huge hole in your knowledge and understanding of jazz, of drumming and of music in general.

could not agree more with words typed on a forum

Wow. Just...wow.

I never said I couldn't appreciate him. I admitted he is a tremendously talented drummer. His playing just doesn't excite me. There are plenty of other drummers in other genres that I can appreciate the talent of but don't necessarily have to be fans of.

Elvin's playing has just never got me excited to where I thought, "Oh, I must learn that lick." But I can appreciate the talent it takes to pull it off.

Back