The legendary Steve Gadd

I'm quite impressed with Gadd and his work is a constant go-to source for me when it's "hey, want to hear some very cool drumming?"

In some ways, I may be approaching it from "the other side" as I was a Classic[al] guitar major years ago.
So, for me, it's a bit of a "musician becoming a drummer" * as opposed to a "drummer becoming a musician" journey -- and I think that has colored my view.

* That isn't a "drummers aren't musicians" comment, I'm talking about the path of our development from 'operator' to 'artist' - it can apply (and oh how it does)to "guitarist" or "pipe organist" or "gambist" or "vocalist" just as easily

Steve is a legend...

But why does he look so damn miserable on his vids???

well, his drug problems aside, there are a lot of musicians who don't smile while they are playing....weckl, jojo, elvin!....i think the only exception is bernhard purdie, that man never stops smiling!!
if i try and smile when i play it puts me off and i lose the beat, facial expressions and grunting can help a player in my opinion.

It's his groove that's so amazing. No wonder that James Taylor, Paul Simon and Eric Clapton hire him.

I don't expect anybody to analyse it and then answer my question, just if you have already seen it and know how to play it. I'm not looking for anyone to go out of their way in this but....does anyone know the sticking to this steve gadd video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBQeTqEDZY&feature=fvst

the part that i am wondering about starts at 1:53 an ends at 2:03
any help would be greatly apreciated, i think is is some hybrid paradiddle.

ps:the part just before this point in the video is insane!!

I was on cloud 9 last night. I saw Steve Gadd live at Catalina's Jazz Club in L.A. He and his band were in great form; each member of the quartet took several solos.

Steve's performance exceeded even the highest espectations. His legendary feel, deft brushwork and when theings reved up he was absolutely explosive.

The man was very engaging with the audience and very humble. It was a great evening watching this great (and my favorite) drummer in a small setting like this.

An additional treat was that sitting at the table next to us were JIm Keltner, J.R Robinson and Louis Conte, all of whom were really enjoying watching their friend play.

What a night.

I'd love to see SG on his own or with his own band. I saw him in May with Clapton and was not impressed. He did the bare minimum. I'm not saying that's wrong but I would have liked more from him.

It's his groove that's so amazing. No wonder that James Taylor, Paul Simon and Eric Clapton hire him.

He's the best for all of the reasons mentioned. Of course he can't do everything, but what a ridiculous criterion on which to judge him. Doing 4-way polyrhythms that resolve every thousand bars is science its not music. For me, showing what can be done on an instrument in terms of technicality belongs in a circus. The fact is, simplicity, or rather refrain, is in itself a tool for a pro and Gadd uses it masterfully. Finally, Gadd's drumming communicates through its phrasing and composition and these alone are enough that you can identify his drumming even before he so perfectly and personally executes it. That is why Gadd is the drumming superman.

Remember, it's just an opinion...

I'd love to see SG on his own or with his own band. I saw him in May with Clapton and was not impressed. He did the bare minimum. I'm not saying that's wrong but I would have liked more from him.

The bare minimum is why he gets hired. Did you know Taylor MOVED an entire tour to accomodate Steve's schedule? Think about that...

Unless you saw him in a very unique situation, he always uses his Ks- regardless who he's playing for. His sound, you know?

So, what is it with Steve Gadd

So, I have recently been watching some of Steve Gadd's performances and I can't for the life of me see why he is considered one of the best drummers of all time. I mean to be compared to people like Vinnie, Jojo Mayer and many more seems to be ridiculous to be me.

For example, I saw a performance of Vinnie, Dave Weckl, and Steve Gadd playing together, and he seemed to be totally outclassed by the others.

Is there something i'm missing? Or maybe I am unable to appreciate his drumming.

Re: So, what is it with Steve Gadd

So, I have recently been watching some of Steve Gadd's performances and I can't for the life of me see why he is considered one of the best drummers of all time. I mean to be compared to people like Vinnie, Jojo Mayer and many more seems to be ridiculous to be me.

For example, I saw a performance of Vinnie, Dave Weckl, and Steve Gadd playing together, and he seemed to be totally outclassed by the others.

Is there something i'm missing? Or maybe I am unable to appreciate his drumming.

I saw that video - great entertainment! Yep, Steve didn't even try to compete, instead doing what he does best - grooving. In a song context Steve's strengths are his timing, touch, groove and taste; his song interpretations are a marvel. He just so "gets it".

I was first turned onto his playing via Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love, for example:

Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra

Journey to Love

Yes. Obviously there is. It seems your description of amazing, world class drummer includes a hearty dose of chops and licks..While it is true that the drummers you've mentioned, and others perhaps, can "out chop" Steve at this stage of his career, let me say this:

1) Steve Gadd influenced those drummers in major ways. Steve created, or conceptualized many of the fills and grooves those guys play.

2) Steve is a groove master who has played on thousands of records, not by flashing chops, but playing music, the song.

3) Steve has influenced probably millions of drummers thru these recordings and performances.

4) Steve is a WONDERFUL, beautiful human being. VERY humble, and down to earth for someone who has achieved SO MUCH....'nuff said on that one!

I suggest you listen to recordings of Steve with Chick Corea in the '70's. Listen to Aja by Steely Dan, just to start out. DOn't watch "dig me " clips on You Tube for comparisons.

I'll be peeking in on this thread, for sure..Should be interesting..

Yeah, Gadd is pretty much one of the great "pocket" drummers of all time. I dig Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Carter Beauford and David Garibaldi for their groove. Against the Weckl's and Vinnies of the world, their style is totally different, Just because you're not pushing the envelope with chops doesn't mean you're not a great drummer. Lately I've seen a lot of Jojo clips on Youtube when he's just laid back chillin' and groovin' and I know for a fact the chops-wise he's a God among drummers and could wipe us all out with one hand and one foot if he chose to. Think of Gadd's style like driving a Ferrari five miles per hour UNDER the speed limit in a school zone. You're still turning heads even if you're not on the redline. Keep digging for more clips of Steve Gadd.

To the OP-- In the past, I probably would have agreed with you. And yes, it is definitely true that Vinnie or Dave may have played more technically difficult licks in that video with the three of them playing. But above all other things, Steve Gadd makes a song groove. He can play a drum part that makes you want to dance. Basically, that's the end of it. Of course I don't mean to say that Steve does not have technically ability or chops, because he most definitely has more than he needs, he just uses them with taste, which is #1. The way I see it, Steve Gadd has accomplished the incredibly difficult task of being a drummer who is totally detached from his playing, always merely a spectator to his own drumming, and always listening, no matter what he is playing.

I know what you might be thinking--and this is because I thought the same thing in the past--you watched the video of the three drummers soloing and you thought that Steve Gadd sounded bad. I think that's understandable, especially since I'm arguing that he is one of the best-sounding drummers in the world, but it doesn't matter if you personally think he sounds bad. I think on one hand you have to consider that everyone has different taste in music and maybe you just didn't dig his style in that video. But on the other hand--and no offense because I mean this in the best way possible--I think you have to consider if you are really just listening for pleasure. I have committed the drumming crime before of listening to a drummer with mad chops just thinking, "this guy is insane!! How did he play that lick?? Is he using double bass?? what's the sticking?? I need to be able to play that complicated!!" And it is nice to see a drummer who has really shed stuff and can play his butt off, but for any regular person who doesn't care how good a drummer is--and we shouldn't care either, we should just care if he sounds good--they will only listen to how groovy his or her playing is. I think it was Steve himself who was quoted as saying (I'm paraphrasing) "It's all about the groove. Nothing else matters."

Also, if you need any more proof, just look at what Pat has said above about Steve's enormous career. Lots of people really dig the sound of his drumming.

I'd agree with your assumption that you might be missing something here.

This may or may not change your views on Steve's chops of the lack of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUGKu5WwrA , but history will tell you that Steve was the definitive drummer of his time, and like all greats do, he put his stamp on the music of that time, and influenced an entire generation of players.

As Pat says, Dave Weckl & Vinnie both, have cited Gadd as a major influence in their playing and Gadd had a lot to do with the way they play and sound, today.

So there's them apples : )

Last edited:

If you mean this (Showdown, Buddy Rich Memorial 1989):
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/showdown.html

then in the opinion of most drummers, experts, forum discussions, Steve Gadd is delivering the "clearest message" just in this sample.

Great drumming also here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevegaddsaudade.html
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevegaddbackhome.html

Last edited:

If you listen to Dave and Vinnie´s playing, you can clearly hear where they got most of their inspiration from. I see Steve Gadd as "the drumming dad" while Vinnie and Dave are his "drumming kids", evolving and carrying it on through a new generation(in the video too).

Back