My new (to me) MIJ Tama Starclassic Birch

Dirtysticks

I walk into Guitar Center to buy a new snare stand and when I get to the drum shop, I see this guy trying to sell his kit so that he can upgrade and get the Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga. His current kit was a Tama Starclassic Birch (Made in Japan version with 10 lug kick and newer hardware). It was in great condition and sounded so good. I tuned it up for him and it actually sounded pretty similar to the B/B but didn't have as much low end because of the lack of bubinga. They offered him $400 bucks for his kit which he was going to take and put towards the purchase of the B/B kit minus 15% for the trade in bonus. I noticed that he was also trading in an Artwood snare, so I offered to give him the $400 myself since he'd still get the 15% from the Artwood. He ended up paying the same either way and I walked out with a beautiful looking and sounding kit for $400!!!! A great case of being in the right place at the right time!

I used to have a Starclassic birch, but it was in scratched up condition, missing the bass drum tom mount, had the old black mounts, eight lug kick and it had the thicker 8ply all birch shell. When I found an amazing deal on my Pearl Masters Studio Birch, I sold the Tama to fund he purchase of the Pearl which was in excellent condition. The Pearl has 10" and 14" toms with a 22" kick and the Tama has 10", 12" and 14" toms with a 22" kick. I'm a birch drum guy through and through and these thin 6ply shells sound so good! I'm now going to sell the Pearl to fund this purchase.

Here are some quick shots I took of the kit. That snare is a shot of a super rare WorldMax Brass 6.5x14 with brass die-cast hoops which also sounds ridiculously good!

Very nice. Those would be the Starclassic Performers right? I really like Tama birch starclassics. I've not payed much attention to the Silverstars. They might be nice too. Looks like you got yourself one heck of a deal. They look pretty sweet. Congrats.

Yep, 100% Japanese birch Starclassic Performers! I llove birch drums and the Performers are my favorite set from the Starclassic line, with the B/B being a close second. We put a B/B in the studio when bought the house kit for the added low end but I don't need the extra low end because I don't time to the lowest pitch, so I like the snap, the tone, the punch, and the clarity of the all birch shell.

Cool, those are the drums I was thinking of. When I was looking for a new kit, I was pretty sure those are what I'd end up with. There was 5 pc. purple sparkle set at a store I looked at and fooled around on a little. I really like them. Then I went to a different store and found a slightly used Yamaha birch custom absolute nouveau 7 pc. No snare, some hardware, with cases. I thought about it over the Wk. end, and ended up buying them. I like them alot, but I would still like to have some performers. I think they're great drums.

Cool, those are the drums I was thinking of. When I was looking for a new kit, I was pretty sure those are what I'd end up with. There was 5 pc. purple sparkle set at a store I looked at and fooled around on a little. I really like them. Then I went to a different store and found a slightly used Yamaha birch custom absolute nouveau 7 pc. No snare, some hardware, with cases. I thought about it over the Wk. end, and ended up buying them. I like them alot, but I would still like to have some performers. I think they're great drums.

Yeah, these are top notch drums! Especially these made in Japan versions!

Dirtysticks, you are an amazingly lucky guy, finding those snares in the pawn shop for such low prices, and now this? Damn!

I'd have jumped on this if I came across such a deal!

I bet they sound real sweet, all tuned up. Consider me jealous.

Dirtysticks, you are an amazingly lucky guy, finding those snares in the pawn shop for such low prices, and now this? Damn!

I'd have jumped on this if I came across such a deal!

I bet they sound real sweet, all tuned up. Consider me jealous.

Man, I put some coated emperors on this kit and they sing so nicely. It has a nice controlled pitchbend, a nice sustain, punchy, great projection and a lot of warmth.

I have had such the greatest luck coming upon some amazing deals.

Some people have all the luck...enjoy them.

Very nice. I like those sparkle fades.

Me too... I was floored by how nice it looks in person.

Some people have all the luck...enjoy them.

I've been on an amazing stroke of luck lately! Thanks, I'm already enjoying them!

Oh wow. Ive been keeping my eyes open for a SCP in birch.

Guitarcenter.com has a few of them for sale in the used section for decent prices. You'll come across one eventually and when you do, they will make your ears very happy.

Back