The Ludwig Acrolite

areFish; Wow perfect condition.

On the day of the leap year 29/02/2012 Ludwig released a special 6.5 x 14 Acrolite.
I got one of those on order and will come back with pictures when I get it.

My Acrolite introduced me to the sound of Aluminum and I came across this Taye snare with a thick Alu shell and wood hoops. Check it out on youtube.

I ordered one and its the best sounding snare I have ever owned or played.

She is also a looker.

thx

jorn

Attachments

• Taye.jpg
    Taye.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,734
areFish; Wow perfect condition.

On the day of the leap year 29/02/2012 Ludwig released a special 6.5 x 14 Acrolite.
I got one of those on order and will come back with pictures when I get it.

My Acrolite introduced me to the sound of Aluminum and I came across this Taye snare with a thick Alu shell and wood hoops. Check it out on youtube.

I ordered one and its the best sounding snare I have ever owned or played.

She is also a looker.

thx

jorn
The Acrolite re-issue is a 10 lug no? Awsome Taye you got there. I have been wanting an aluminum snare and had narrowed it down to the Taye like yours, DW wrinkle finish, Tama Starphonic and Tama SLP Super Aluminum. I still want one of those 4, but this Acrolite will tie me over for a bit.

Re: The Ludwig Acrolite - Odd Duck

Late to the proverbial party, but I've been wondering about a Blacrolite I picked up on Ebay a year ago. It's a standard 8 lug, 5" Black Galaxie shell, but it has Imperial lugs instead of the bowties.The guy I bought it from said the lugs were original .The throw off was broken so I replaced it with a black faced P 85 , which i think looks better anyway. The internal muffler was also missing, but other than that the drum was in great shape. Can anyone confirm whether any of the standard blacro's were made with Imperial lugs? Thanks
[http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/EYEtalian/DrumStuff/P1050255.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/EYEtalian/DrumStuff/P1050252.jpg

Last edited:
Here is more of a theoretical question:

Would the lugs on the Acro affect the sound considerably? Or would it be marginal? I have tube lugs in mine (I got it as a shell only, and put it together little by little--it's the blue one earlier in the thread), and the sound is...sometimes almost unrestrained. I used to have a coated G1 on it, and it would ring for days. Hitting it off center would bring out all kinds of overtones (and not always pleasant ones, either). I like ring and all, but it was a bit much. Just put a G2 coated on it and high tuning, and while it still rings a lot, the excess ringing is gone, and is generally more pleasant.

I was just curious if the mass of the lugs really do affect the sound of the drum. At least to me, I think they do. The normal Acros have those much bigger and massive luges that have far more contact with the surface area of the drum's shell, while the tube lugs have very minimal contact points. My theory is that the tube lugs are opening up the shell considerably...but I'm probably wrong, lol.

Any thoughts?

Interesting. I recently have revived a 1970-71 Acro (stock everything, incl heads!). However, I was surprised at how "controlled" the sound was. It is obedient to the point of being too dead for my taste. I actually had to check several times to ensure the damper was off!

I play jazz and the cross stick clicks are really, really nice. However, the rimshots sound dead to me ... I'd like to hear more ooomph. I'm running Remo Fiberskyn on top (I play a lot of brushes) and a hazy on bottom.

It has been 30 years since I fiddled with an Acro so I couldn't remember them well. I thought they did ring a lot more than mine. I did notice the top rim is bent a little bit, so perhaps that is killing the sound on mine. Wanna switch rims? ;-)

Cheers,
radman

A bent hoop, and (mostly) the Fiberskyn will deaden the ring quite a bit.
I've always been able to get more or less ring by adjusting tension on the bottom head on my Acro.

The re-issue 6.5 Acro is a 10 lug, the 5 is still an 8 lug.

I really want one of the new 6.5's.
I had a 6.5 Black Galaxy finished snares (and liked it), but I was able to sell it at a really nice price (a 100th Anniversary badge is pretty desirable I found out!).

I always wanted an Aluminum finished 6.5, so I haven't regretted selling the BG drum.

Money is tied up in a couple other drum related things, but after that, I'll start on getting one.

Tube lugs do open the sound up a little, and the gaskets (found on most of the snares now) would control it more.

Interesting. I recently have revived a 1970-71 Acro (stock everything, incl heads!). However, I was surprised at how "controlled" the sound was. It is obedient to the point of being too dead for my taste. I actually had to check several times to ensure the damper was off!

Cheers,
radman

I found the same, and was surprised. I did appreciate its 'control' and even warmth, but my preferred snare sound is a little wilder with ring and resonance. It didn't seem to open up. But then i changed the stock head out (from stock Ludwig 'medium' to an Amb) and that helped a lot. With a Fiberskyn I would think you're making it even warmer.

Re: The Ludwig Acrolite - Odd Duck

Late to the proverbial party, but I've been wondering about a Blacrolite I picked up on Ebay a year ago. It's a standard 8 lug, 5" Black Galaxie shell, but it has Imperial lugs instead of the bowties.The guy I bought it from said the lugs were original .The throw off was broken so I replaced it with a black faced P 85 , which i think looks better anyway. The internal muffler was also missing, but other than that the drum was in great shape. Can anyone confirm whether any of the standard blacro's were made with Imperial lugs? Thanks
[http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/EYEtalian/DrumStuff/P1050255.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/EYEtalian/DrumStuff/P1050252.jpg

Chief W,

Drum looks to be in good shape ... but ... I've never seen anything on Acro's other than the bowties. Admittedly, I have looked at more 60s and 70s than the later blacro's.

Best,
radman

I got my new Ludwig Acrolite Limited Edition 6.5x14 snare today. Apparently they are only made in 2012,
It features a classic brushed Aluminum shell with chrome 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops and 10 classic bowtie lugs, P-85 strainer, milled center bead, and Blue/Olive Badge. Limited to production in 2012. Model # LM405C.
I don't like the Blackolite's or the grey powdercoated Acrolites as I believe the coating muffles the drum.

I did some recording with the stock heads and it sounds great. A good supplement to my standard 5x14 Acrolite from 1979.

Great service from Al from Philly Drums to ship to Malaysia.

Attachments

• Acrolite.jpg
    Acrolite.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 2,578
Awesome pick up!
I want one of these snares myself, but I've spent quite a bit on cymbals so far this year :) ....aaaannnnd... I don't really need another snare (not with already having 10 haha!).

But, I know they sound great, and when I was a kid, I always wished I could get this (finish) Acrolite snare in a 6.5. I was happy when they offered the Blackrolite, but it's not the same...

I'm selling some stuff right now, so if I happen to get a few more bucks I might just spring for one :)

I have a feeling they will have them after 2012 too...

I got my new Ludwig Acrolite Limited Edition 6.5x14 snare today. Apparently they are only made in 2012,
It features a classic brushed Aluminum shell with chrome 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops and 10 classic bowtie lugs, P-85 strainer, milled center bead, and Blue/Olive Badge. Limited to production in 2012. Model # LM405C.
I don't like the Blackolite's or the grey powdercoated Acrolites as I believe the coating muffles the drum.

I did some recording with the stock heads and it sounds great. A good supplement to my standard 5x14 Acrolite from 1979.

Great service from Al from Philly Drums to ship to Malaysia.

Very nice! Although, isn't there another name for a 6.5 x 14, 10 lug aluminium Ludwig drum..?

*cough* Supraphonic *cough*

Just kidding, of course, and glad to see that Malaysia's getting some service now! I grew up there...

Nice looking drum! I thought the Ltds. had brushed hardware and hoops though...

There are in fact two versions of this drum being offered. The one pictured in this thread is the Acrolite Classic, while the one with the brushed hardware is the Limited edition. I heard the Limited will only be offered in 2012. Not sure about the Classic.

There are in fact two versions of this drum being offered. The one pictured in this thread is the Acrolite Classic, while the one with the brushed hardware is the Limited edition. I heard the Limited will only be offered in 2012. Not sure about the Classic.

Aaaah, thanks for the clarification!

I got my new Ludwig Acrolite Limited Edition 6.5x14 snare today...

Looks great, enjoy it!

The one thing I don't understand: you say you don't like a muffled drum but you put a whole piece of moongel on it?

eric_B I was playing an ABBA song -)

Joke aside, I was recording (which is new to me) and was concerned about too much ring. I will for sure experiment more regarding this.

I didn't see a direct answer to Chief Wampum's question, but I too have a black galaxy acro that I've come to assume came from the factory with imperial lugs. I thought that maybe someone at some point switched them out, so I removed a couple of the lugs and noticed the outline "imprint" of the lug in the galaxy finish. I know that this doesn't prove anything per se, but it does seem to have left the factory that way. I've also seen one or two on ebay every once in a great while.

So, the question still stands - did Ludwig make some blacros with imperial lugs on it?

eric_B I was playing an ABBA song -)

Haha, then I guess it probably wasn't: ring, ring, ring :)!!

Enjoy your snare man, I already have too many, but an acrolite still appeals to me.

Back