Catalina Club with 20 bass

Nice kit, but I wouldn't part with a Renown kit for one as the Catalina kit would be a step down. Owning both would offer a nice variety.

Renown Sizes, 22 x 18, 8 inch, 10, 12, 14, 16 tom. The 16 is actually a Catalina in the same finish with no black fade

Attachments

• DSC08813.JPG
    DSC08813.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 499
  • CIMG0512.JPG
    CIMG0512.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 498
Just realized you're in Fla.

Can you just take that rack apart and set the Renowns up in a small configuration (thinking Bo would suggest this as I type it..)? I would imagine that you could get the same feel from your kit even if you had to play with heads etc.. Would be easier and less $ and might just end up sounding better all while keeping your "better" drums..

That Catalina looks amazing.. but no so amazing as to trade some Renowns for them!!

:)

If you want a smaller kit I'd say go the used/craigslist route! You may find a small kick to pair with your current toms or even a whole kit for cheap.

Cheers!

Love Gretsch and the 20 inch BD, but interesting though, they switched the high tom to 10 inch (instead of 12), and went to a 4.5" snare.

The Cat Jazz is such a popular set, I see it in many small venues.
I wonder how/why they think to make changes like this? Market research? Was the 18 BD too limited?

Love Gretsch and the 20 inch BD, but interesting though, they switched the high tom to 10 inch (instead of 12), and went to a 4.5" snare.

I wonder how/why they think to make changes like this? Market research? Was the 18 BD too limited?

I think they intend to compete against the Ludwig Club Date kits they just came out with. Think about it: same sizes, a bit cheaper, they can seriously take some of the market from Ludwig if they play their cards right. Besides, the 20 bass drum is much more versatile. You get a good low-end thump when you need it with volume to spare. The 18 will give you good thump, but not near as loud, it's sort of a one-trick pony sometimes.

I have my small Bumble Bee Bop kit I made which is 18, 12, 13 floor tom but something about those Club Jazz kits just does it for me and then to see one with a 20 bass drum just really piqued my interest. I know I would never get the proper deal and would be trading down in value, but since I don't play out the smaller kit is just appealing

Here's my take on it. If any one has followed my recent posts on here you will know that I just recently bought a Cat Jazz kit. I don't think anybody could ever had convinced me that I would be happy with a 18 kick, I just had to find out for myself. As of now I'm in the same boat as you. In early spring I bought a new Renown Rock kit and I'm very seriously considering selling them along with my Tama Superstar kit. The CCJ kit is just that versital. I do believe that the 20 inch kick would be the best of both worlds but I don't like the 10 inch mounted tom and most people are using a different snare so that would be a toss up.

As far as a down grade, beauty is in the EAR of the beholder. In my case I've been playing for over 50 years and was brought up on the sound of the early Gretsch, the 3 ply Ludwigs and Slingerlands. For me the CCJ kits are as close as I could come to finding that vintage sound without paying a arm and leg for a kit. There are other small kits out there but to me the birch or maple kits with the 45 degree edges just don't sound as vintage as the CCJ.

I guess all that I can tell you is that I'm more than happy with mine. They sound great to me,I've got compliments from other musicians on how good they sound. Just last saturday I played a large outdoor festival and took the CCJ kit to try. The sound crew had the know how and the equipment and made the kit sound outstanding. I was more than satisified. I have the copper sparkle and they look great too. I'm also satisified with the built quality. I will say this, I would love to hear that 20 inch kick. I think you would be very happy with this kit and I don't think you would ever miss the Renowns. Good luck and keep us posted. John

Option 3, you could get the cheapest 20" you can find and put a gretsch head on it.

Is it fair of me to assume that the bass is the least fussy of all drums when it comes to quality + sound? I mean the size, heads and tuning are way more important than what factory it was made in.. Couldn't say that about toms and snare I know, talking strictly bass drums...

My 22 sounds great. Evans EQ3 batter and a Fiberskyn with Kickport on the reso it booms. I would imagine I could get the 20 to be very close. The 20 is also only 14 deep which is also appealing

Is it fair of me to assume that the bass is the least fussy of all drums when it comes to quality + sound? I mean the size, heads and tuning are way more important than what factory it was made in.. Couldn't say that about toms and snare I know, talking strictly bass drums...
Um, yes & no IMO. If you're going to muffle a bass drum to excess, then the quality of the shell is greatly diminished in terms of importance sonically. If you use only mild muffling or non at all, then the quality of the drum is just as important as for any other drum. Just because a bass drum note is typically short, doesn't mean it's tone is any less important to the resultant sound. You only have to sit behind a beautifully made & conceived bass drum to notice the difference, especially at low dynamic. A cheap bass drum needs much more input than a quality instrument before it delivers a worthwhile tone. A good bass drum should sound satisfying even at a feather touch, & cheap shells just don't deliver that.

Wait a minute - so the 18" kick comes with a 12" tom, and the 20" kick comes with a 10" tom?

What are they thinking?

Ideally, you'd be able to specify which kick or tom you'd prefer.

Um, yes & no IMO. If you're going to muffle a bass drum to excess, then the quality of the shell is greatly diminished in terms of importance sonically. If you use only mild muffling or non at all, then the quality of the drum is just as important as for any other drum. Just because a bass drum note is typically short, doesn't mean it's tone is any less important to the resultant sound. You only have to sit behind a beautifully made & conceived bass drum to notice the difference, especially at low dynamic. A cheap bass drum needs much more input than a quality instrument before it delivers a worthwhile tone. A good bass drum should sound satisfying even at a feather touch, & cheap shells just don't deliver that.

Absolutely (as if there would be any "issues" pertaining to sound coming from you Andy.... If anyone knows - you know.

The only thing that currently dampens my bass drum heads a a felt strip on the batter side on one set and a ring that's included on the Evans EQ4 on another set.

Sonically, the tone generated from the bass drum shell is as important as any other drum (or cymbal for that matter) to me.

i own a club jazz and a club date... the ludwig is a better quality and better sounding drum kit

Back