Two lessons in 'importance'

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I'm cruising YouTube and I guess now is the time you see some of the newer posts put up by companies or drummers, and I run across this one first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rT_mqPKVvA&feature=relmfu

This one is Thomas Lang, and he's playing his four-piece kit and demonstrating incredible chops and stick twirling and I start thinking, 'this stuff is really important, I should probably get my double bass chops together, and just listen to how many notes he's executing from behind his little four piece' And I remind myself that I play a four-piece so why can't I do stuff that even comes close to that?

Then I do a bit more cruising around and come across this long time favorite of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgfiYz4jo8I&feature=relmfu

And it's Steve Jordan playing his four-piece set demonstrating his groove and why he's played on just about everybody's hit single in the last couple of decades and I start thinking, 'this stuff is really important, I should probably get my groove chops together and man, listen to his groove execution on that little four-piece' And I remind myself that I play a four-piece so why can't I do stuff that even comes close to that?

I continue to be inspired by all these great players and sometimes you just wanna give up when you see masters like this. I say to all of you: I'm not giving up, so don't you give up!

If anything, I'll get my snare on 2 & 4 better than I did yesterday!

Both great videos.
I think Thomas Lang could do a 99% Steve Jordan emulation with little practice, but Steve Jordan could never get to 99% of Thomas Lang.

Probably neither of them is interested -)

I think Thomas Lang could do a 99% Steve Jordan emulation with little practice, but Steve Jordan could never get to 99% of Thomas Lang.

I'll bet you everything I own Lang couldn't. He can't come close to that sheer, deep groove of Steve Jordan.

I know I've never heard it and I've spent a long time searching Lang vids for something.....anything, to appeal to me outside of his technical virtuosity. He's got a lot of tricks in his bag no doubt, but a groove that fat? Nup, he misses the mark there I reckon.

I have this theory that the more chops a drummer has the more likely he or she is to make music that I can't listen to for longer than 5 minutes. Steve Jordan is the exception to that rule. The man has serious chops and uses it to make some of the grooviest stuff I've ever heard.

Perhaps it's because I'm just an backbeat drummer. But I've never felt the need to do what Thomas Lang does. I think the man is amazing and the stuff he does pushes the boundries of drumming. It just doesn't touch me on an emotional level and doesn't work very well for the kind of music I like to make.

The groove Steve Jordan laid down was sick, in the pocket and fat. I'll take that kind of drumming any day of the week! Not easy to find that groove and when you do it's like magic! And well Jordan was a magician in that clip! Thanks for posting that Bo!

I hate to agree with everyone else but I would be impressed by Thomas Lang but I would employ Steve Jordan. Lang's playing is superb and shows virtuosity and his groove is very decent but most of his playing just leaves me cold. I hate to say it because I really think that he's a great player.

Jordan, I could just listen to all day. I would love to record him. I would learn so much and thoroughly enjoy every moment.

I continue to be inspired by all these great players and sometimes you just wanna give up when you see masters like this. I say to all of you: I'm not giving up, so don't you give up!

Thinking I should blow this up, frame it and hang it on wall...especially that last sentence. It's what it's all about isn't it? Thanks for sharing!

I have the 2nd of Thomas' DVD sets and I got it because he's a superb (foremost technical) drummer. But while that spotlight video contains tons of 'interesting' coordination stuff and ideas I must admit it didn't grab me for one single second but overall sounded like combined hardcore exercises and ultimately a controlled mess. That's just me. Overall he has a somewhat 'cold' way of playing but certainly mind-blowing chops!
(If you're going for incorporating stick tricks and showmanship there's 'better' guys than him I think, e.g. Mike Terrana, Bobby Jarzombek.)
Don't get me wrong, but even his speed didn't impress me that much (any more - because I know you can get there if you practice hard enough) - there's lots of drummers on this level. This is not to talk him down but IMO insane chops aren't a cutting edge nowadays. You need 'more' than that.

Now for Steve Jordan (my first encounter with his drumming ever - sorry guys)...
I expected him to blow Thomas away easily in terms of groove and grabbing me but honestly... no. That is - yes, more than Thomas, but way less than I expected. I'm sure Steve's playing (depending on which song/video) can have much more impact than this particular spotlight video.

Last edited:

Chops versus Groove again? Darwin versus The Bible...

Im exhausted..its all important, I'll say. Jordan makes me feel good and Lang makes me go "Daym"!

I think Jordan makes more money though...

both amazing players

but to me

the Lang performance sounded like a bunch of coordination exercises stacked on top of each other...he is a superb player with out of this world chops but his groove just never sits right with me.....in any style

and the Jordan video sounded like music

TL's a monster. One of the best complex prog drummers around. Amazing coordination.

SJ ... an inspiration. He shows us just how good a simple pattern can sound if you get the sounds, internal dynamics and consistency going. Mount Everest. He has some mean chops too. And that snare sound at low volume a bit after 4 mins - whrrooarrr

OP had good intentions but this could easily go south as a "chops vs. groove" argument.

I love both of them. I think when you perform at the professional level you have to be so well rounded that you can do a little of everything. I've seen Steve Jordan play some out-there chops and modern jazz stuff, and I've seen Thomas Lang play a groove. However, everybody has strengths and weaknesses and personal preferences.

To get back on topic, yes, these are awesome videos and great reminders of how much there is still to practice!

Last edited:
Ok, everybody agrees here, but c'mon man, they have different styles, and are very different players. I listen to Steve Jordan on my iPod while on the bus, and I never listened to Thomas Lang on other than youtube.. but I won't say one is better than the other.

That said, Lang is a lot more fit. Damn, the man is huge!!! Haha.

Cheers!

Ditto for me, some of these guys are so inspiring... I've probably listen and watch 100 times the Steve Jordan's Performance spotlight, lol, it's contagious, I want some of his DNA :)

There's so many out there who just lay it down effortlessly, it's like my daily need of grooves and inspirations...

Keith Carlock... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8psDCGPDU

Cindy Blackman... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpzNepg1fw

Now for Steve Jordan (my first encounter with his drumming ever - sorry guys)...
I expected him to blow Thomas away easily in terms of groove and grabbing me but honestly... no. That is - yes, more than Thomas, but way less than I expected. I'm sure Steve's playing (depending on which song/video) can have much more impact than this particular spotlight video.

Steve Jordan with the John Mayer Trio ... http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevejordancrossroadmayer.html

OP had good intentions but this good easily go south as a "chops vs. groove" argument.

It's not so much an argument about "chops vs grooves", both Thomas and Steve have phenomenal chops and grooves, it's more about how it feels when you listen to these cats, Thomas always feels clinical to me, I'm blow away by his technical virtuosity, but he leaves me a bit cold, Jordan, Carlock or Blackman on the other hand have something much deeper, more organic, more feel... I know it's entirely subjective to taste... but many prefer SJ clip in this thread, just pure coincidence? ...mmmh, I don't think so :)

Back