DW Frequent Flyer Kit

Thanks for the follow-up taiko. I realize you used the FF for a jazz gig but given your experience with the kit so far, do you think the sizes are versatile enough to cover rock or other styles of music? I like these smaller kits from a transportation standpoint but some are pretty limited in what they can adequately cover.

Thanks for the write-up and review taiko. When I saw the kit at NAMM, I loved the sizes, and size of lugs they used. I have a similar sized Blaemire kit that I use for low-volume gigs/rehearsals. Easily tranportable and love how the height of the kit is lower and at a more comfortable position, as I'm not very tall. I have always liked DW, especially their pedals and hardware. On a side note, we talked to John Good at NAMM, and he had a great manufacturing tid-bit that has already paid dividends. ;-)

Probably no more than
Rhythm Traveler
Hip Pig
Little Squealer
MyDentity
Saturn or Mars or Armory
Breakbeats by Questlove or
Safari...are you really taking them on a hunt.?

I think Mydentity and Armory are some of the worst cute names..

I have a short story in regards to DW's genius marketing. In the mid 90's I was the drummer for a very popular local country band. The band leader's name was Jim, and he was a nice guy, originally from South Carolina. I owned a set of Pearl Masters MMX drums at the time, nice drums. I spent 2 years in that band, and Jim would comment here and there about my drums. He used to say things like "man, they almost sound like DW'S". I would just smile and go about my business. A few months after I left the band, I went to see them with their new drummer. The new guy had a Taye kit, sounded nice through the PA. I spoke with Jim between sets, and he made a remark about how good a deal his drummer got on that Taye kit and how they "almost sound like DW'S". So I finally asked Jim "have you ever heard a DW kit or played with a drummer that had one?". Jim's response was, "well, no, but everyone knows they're the best!" Now that's marketing! Btw, I have no issue with DW gear or anyone that likes their stuff. I've played a kit, thought it was nice, but never owned a kit.

Taiko- nice kit, love the sizes. I'm looking for a nice smaller kit myself. Any chance of you putting up some sound files or videos so we can hear them?

Last edited:
I believe Adam Wolfe is currently touring with the FF kit for "Evita". I saw some shots of the single flight case holding all four drums and it looks like a great, compact set. No idea why these threads always turn into arguments about a brand name when, in fact, the company has brought something to market that fill a particular space with quality hardware and shells.

Thanks for the follow-up taiko. I realize you used the FF for a jazz gig but given your experience with the kit so far, do you think the sizes are versatile enough to cover rock or other styles of music? I like these smaller kits from a transportation standpoint but some are pretty limited in what they can adequately cover.

I really only play jazz. I don't listen to rock and, obviously, don't play it. So other than "loud" I have no idea what would be necessary for it to be versatile enough to use for rock. I'm just not knowledgeable enough about other types of music to be able to offer an opinion.

Now that you have had the kit a bit longer, do you have any other thoughts you can share? I'm really looking hard at one of these now to be used for our small venue traveling gigs.

Thanks rob

Impressive set and appeal. For a small jazz player as myself, I like and want.

I currently have a Sonor maple kit in natural maple...nothing wrong, love the kit..but wanted the retro and smaller kick the Frequent Flyer offers...Then I started thinking...nothing wrong with the Sonor. Other than the kick being larger, other drums are same size as the FF.

So, I am in the process of shipping my kick to Precision and they will cut 5 inches off the depth to give me a 12x20 kick down from the 17x20..cost; $109.00, excluding shipping..

MUCH BETTER..No??

Back