Mapex M-birch or Sonor 3005 Maple

devildriver1

I've been waiting for bargains to pass by and I came across a second hand Mbirch and Sonor 3005. The mapex is only 6 weeks old but costs very slightly more, whilst the Sonor is presumably quite a bit older, but is advertised as in great condition.

I'd like to know how these drums compare. I've seen the Mapex and it was beautiful with its cherry red finish, but the Sonor looks good from the photos. Unfortunately I can only get the sonor by courier (cost of drum + courier is still less than mapex) rather than picking it up myself - is this a problem?

I'm really considering the sonor but one thing that worries me from the advertisement is this:
"In excellent condition apart from bass drum is missing a rubber little foot that stops the bass drum spurs from being so sharp, but these are easy to replace."

As a beginner I don't really know what the seller means by this. If any of you drummerworld people could help me out on this one I'd greatly appreciate it too.

edit: I reread the bass drum foot issue and I know what the seller is talking about. This wouldn't be much of a problem, would it?

Last edited:
It would not be a problem to replace.

As far as which brand to buy....both are good kits. It's good to see that you aren't concerned with wood type, rather value is the most important.

If it was up to me I would get the Sonor as long as it is in good shape. Sonor's are some of the best sounding kits on the market...always have been and will continue to be. The hardware is some of the best around, the 400 series stuff is really good.
If you check it will be hard to find negative things said regarding Sonor, the quality is that good.

What is the price on both of the kits? Are these on e-bay right now. PM me with the links if you don't want them made public, and I'll check both of them out and give you more accurate advice.

Hello,

I have owned both and loved both.

That said, I would take another 3005 over the mapex, but just barely.

The hardware was MUCH better with the sonor. But the mapex hardware was still good.

The finish on the mapex and sonors were both top notch.

The sonor will have a higher resell value when you eventually upgrade.

Can't lose either way, but I would go sonor.

Oh, the snare on the mapex doesn't sound to good. I had a terrible time tuning it. The sonor, while not amazing, did sound pretty good.

Mike

Go with the Sonor's. What the seller is talking about is a little rubber "foot" that goes over the kick drum spur. Nothing you can't replace & doesn't take away from the kit at all. Post pics after you get the kit!

Peace

Another vote over here for the Sonor.

Both kits are now discontinued, but you would have an easier time tracking down a Mapex add-on tom down the track than you would the Sonor.

If that doesnt concern you, go the Sonor.

Back