PDP Platinum second thoughts

Well the gig was awesome. We played to a good crowd and we got a great response and sold some CDs. I have to say hats off to the soundman. He is the most proffesional I've ever met. He had his notes from last time we played (3 months previous) so he new all our names and what we wanted in the monitors.

I'm still not happy with the kick though. I took the evans pillows out but I honestly couldn't hear much of a difference (this was tuning at home before). I've got rehearsal tomorrow night so I'll try re tuning again then as I'll have more time.

I use an EMAD as well (single ply...the EMAD2 is not as loud). The reso side is ported with a 4" hole with a small towel rolled up against the head (a la Dave Weckl).

That's my exact set up on my LX and it sounds awesome. Pefect mixture of low-end punch and just enough overtone to have life and not sound like a dull thud.

I
I'm generally unhappy with my hardware too. I got all the DW stuff and it's just too heavy. Memory locks are great when you're right at the top but I'm right at the bottom and kit share has to happen so memory locks just lull me into a false sense of security cos it all goes out the window at gigs.

Maybe I should just sell the entire lot and start again.

Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or similary experience with the Platinums? Anyone wanna buy them?

Chris.

Take the memory locks off and use a sharpie pen to mark all your settings, you can set up in no time at all, then.

As long as you aint too precious bout the stands. (Tho Marker pen comes off fairly easily in fairness)

Your kick is clicky?
Can I have it? I can't get mine to click at all.
Lol

I'd say ditch the pillows, try some other heads...tuning styles... anything really.
As of the hardware, just maybe spend an extra couple bucks and re-do it. You can buy new hoops. Also rack mounting systems are nice, my Gibralter doesn't weigh a ton, so, give that a look.

Your kick is clicky?
Can I have it? I can't get mine to click at all.
Lol

I'd say ditch the pillows, try some other heads...tuning styles... anything really.
As of the hardware, just maybe spend an extra couple bucks and re-do it. You can buy new hoops. Also rack mounting systems are nice, my Gibralter doesn't weigh a ton, so, give that a look.

Have you done the wood ic beater against a metal patch?

Have you done the wood ic beater against a metal patch?

Not a metal patch, I heard those are heavy & fall off alot. I have a Remo Falam Slam on the basses.

Anyway, try to do everything you can before you call it quits with that kit. It'd be ashame if you sold it and found out later you could have done something for it.

I'd keep trying to fix it. Lol. I'd buy it but that leap in sizes.......eeek lol.

Perhaps you should consider a 16" floor tom as an add on to bridge the gap? 10 12 16 18 setups arent that uncommon.

Interesting times.

I went to Wembley Drum Centre a couple of weeks ago and had a good chat with a very helpful guy and more or less decided that I would change to a 22 kick and either Tama Starclassic Bubinga or Spaun in a few months. At the same time I bought a new kick pedal - Iron Cobra.

The kick pedal has made a massive difference on the sound of the kick drum. The beater is moving further and faster (so I'm getting more power) than my old Pearl and the beater head is a totally different design. It's round instead of flat and I've lost a lot of the click sound that I didn't like and there's a hell of a lot more wallop there now. I'm still not 100% happy with the size of the kit and I don't like the 18 tom but I'm starting to get the beef out of the kick drum that I always wanted.

Gonna try a PS3 next and see how that sounds. If all is good then I may get a 16 or even 14 floor tom and stick with this kit for a while longer.

Still need to sort the hardware out but I could have saved myself a lot of money on getting a new kit! Hoorah!

agree about the muffling- maybe overkill! I use just a flet strip about a third of the way up on both bass drum heads- awsum deep thud now, also found Aquarian heads make all the differerance in that my toms sing now- not too much overtone, just right.
I use an Evans torque key to tune and finish by ear if you can get one try it I tune my bass drum to 2, floor tom to 1, tom 2 is 3 tom 1 is 4 and my snare is 7..top and bottom heads the same. Maybe that will help!
Many issues like you face are down to tuning in the main and another thing is you need a fair size room to tune and dampen-- if you do it at home inj a small room, the results at a gig will be a lot differant.

loose the EMAD if you want full resonance. And also the pillows need to go. If you want big sound just use a normal batter head like a Remo Powerstroke III, or Evans EQ 3.

Just saw this post. I have a 24 inch kick, I tried the Emad and also was very dissapointed in the "click" sound that it made. It worked for about the first 50 hit or so then fell apart (the foam ring), so I put on the other and it eventually clicked and then fell apart, I took that thing out put a pillow in it, and re tuned it. It sounds awesome now, the low end is great no more click I have an eq3 evans head for the batter and an remo with internal muffle ring on the reso. Fool around with the tuning through a little rolled up pillow and keep trying, as for those emad rings, toss them as far as you can.

Just saw this post. I have a 24 inch kick, I tried the Emad and also was very dissapointed in the "click" sound that it made. It worked for about the first 50 hit or so then fell apart (the foam ring), so I put on the other and it eventually clicked and then fell apart, I took that thing out put a pillow in it, and re tuned it. It sounds awesome now, the low end is great no more click I have an eq3 evans head for the batter and an remo with internal muffle ring on the reso. Fool around with the tuning through a little rolled up pillow and keep trying, as for those emad rings, toss them as far as you can.

So what's the difference in sound between the EQ3 and PS3 on the batter, anyone know?

So what's the difference in sound between the EQ3 and PS3 on the batter, anyone know?

I can't say for the ps3, I would think it is good, just speaking from my playing that I happened to go with the eq3 on a recommendation and I am very happy with the sound I get from it.

With a 24 (or any size for that matter), the less crap on the head (like the built in rings and Remo tray rings etc..) the better sound you will get.

Here's a few types that get a big fat tone and resonance without over ring.
Remo Pinstripe.
Remo Coated Pin (fatter sounding than clear)
Remo Clear or Coated Emperor.
Remo P3
Remo Coated P3 (a bit more warmth in the initial attack, a little beefier sound).

Aqaurian Studio X
Aquarian Carmine Appice (very cool head--I took the extra "O" off and just used the big dot)
Aquarian Performance 2 (Very low, deep sounding head)

Evans EQ1 Frosted (great head for attack/tone balance using just the small attached ring).

A kevlar beater patch is going to give more click in the attack, and one like the Aquarian patch is going to get less.

The PDP platinum drums are really nice, and I actually like them better than the DW collectors because they have a straight shell (vs. re-rings).
Have fun with them! I would consider getting a 16" floor tom though. A 12-16 jump is pretty cool--I use that combo all the time. And if you had a 12-16-18, that's just plain huge sounding.

The less junk you put in the shell the better as well IMO. If anything, I'd use a 1" piece of foam just at the bottom of the shell (cut to just barely touch both heads, or placed to touch just one), or a small blanket, just to keep the sound from bouncing around too much.
THAT'S what contributes most of the overly boomy tone you can get. Punch, attack, tone, even a slightly long note is (usually) good and/or OK.
As long as there isn't an uncontrolled "ooooo" in there.

Whatever you use, make sure you can get at it easily if you need to adjust it.
One of the reasons foam is great is it's flat, and you can tape it down in the spot you want, and basically forget it.
Blankets or pillows move around and can get bunched up, and then you're having to mess with it.

With stuff on the head and in the shell, you are loosing frequencies you DO want, which project the sound of the drum to people other than yourself needing to hear it.
Also, if the kick sounds very deep, or low to YOU, it's most likely NOT going to be heard over any sort of loud music--unless you pound the crap out of it.
AND, if it's not projecting over, or within other instruments, and is part of the whole sound of the music, even with a mic on it, you aren't going to hear it.

Just take some time with it, play with the tuning, and get to know your drum.
You can get a great (fat, big, open or more controlled, whatever) sound that works for any style of music without having to re-tune for the different styles.
It just takes some quality time with your drum.

I run a 20x26 kick, with a Coated ambassador batter, single ply front reso (4" holz for a mic) with minimal muffling and I NEVER get anything but great comments from sound men in big or small venues. No complaints, or a "you should..." from anyone.
Even though the drum is pretty open, through a PA, or out front of the drum just hearing it, it's just a full sound with balanced attack and tone.
In an un-miked situation, the drum always sound good within the music as well.

You may like a more controlled sound, but the idea is, the less "stuff" inhibiting your drum, the better result (all around) you will end up with.

* And if you play in a band, the more they can hear your bass drum, the more you can keep them in line.

Good luck! Enjoy those Platinums!

Karl that is some brilliant information. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it all down.

I've quoted your post and added comments where I had something to say as there was so much info.

With a 24 (or any size for that matter), the less crap on the head (like the built in rings and Remo tray rings etc..) the better sound you will get. Point taken. Def gonna try a batter head without the foam ring.

Here's a few types that get a big fat tone and resonance without over ring.
Remo Pinstripe.
Remo Coated Pin (fatter sounding than clear)
Remo Clear or Coated Emperor.
Remo P3 This has been recommended a few times now but...
Remo Coated P3 (a bit more warmth in the initial attack, a little beefier sound). I like the sound of "Beefier"

Aqaurian Studio X
Aquarian Carmine Appice (very cool head--I took the extra "O" off and just used the big dot)
Aquarian Performance 2 (Very low, deep sounding head) I like the sound of this one too.

Evans EQ1 Frosted (great head for attack/tone balance using just the small attached ring).

A kevlar beater patch is going to give more click in the attack, and one like the Aquarian patch is going to get less. Pretty sure mine is a kevlar one. I know what I wont be getting next time!

The PDP platinum drums are really nice, and I actually like them better than the DW collectors because they have a straight shell (vs. re-rings).
Have fun with them! I would consider getting a 16" floor tom though. A 12-16 jump is pretty cool--I use that combo all the time. And if you had a 12-16-18, that's just plain huge sounding. I wouldn't be able to play 2 floor toms but it would be cool, maybe I'll put one either side of me? hmmm.

The less junk you put in the shell the better as well IMO. If anything, I'd use a 1" piece of foam just at the bottom of the shell (cut to just barely touch both heads, or placed to touch just one), or a small blanket, just to keep the sound from bouncing around too much. It's empty now. Might try a small towel or blanket to reduce a few overtones.
THAT'S what contributes most of the overly boomy tone you can get. Punch, attack, tone, even a slightly long note is (usually) good and/or OK.
As long as there isn't an uncontrolled "ooooo" in there. I can't get any oooo. The sound is short and sharp no matter what I do.

Whatever you use, make sure you can get at it easily if you need to adjust it.
One of the reasons foam is great is it's flat, and you can tape it down in the spot you want, and basically forget it.
Blankets or pillows move around and can get bunched up, and then you're having to mess with it.

With stuff on the head and in the shell, you are loosing frequencies you DO want, which project the sound of the drum to people other than yourself needing to hear it.
Also, if the kick sounds very deep, or low to YOU, it's most likely NOT going to be heard over any sort of loud music--unless you pound the crap out of it. I do.
AND, if it's not projecting over, or within other instruments, and is part of the whole sound of the music, even with a mic on it, you aren't going to hear it.

Just take some time with it, play with the tuning, and get to know your drum.
You can get a great (fat, big, open or more controlled, whatever) sound that works for any style of music without having to re-tune for the different styles.
It just takes some quality time with your drum.

I run a 20x26 kick, with a Coated ambassador batter, single ply front reso (4" holz for a mic) with minimal muffling and I NEVER get anything but great comments from sound men in big or small venues. No complaints, or a "you should..." from anyone.
Even though the drum is pretty open, through a PA, or out front of the drum just hearing it, it's just a full sound with balanced attack and tone.
In an un-miked situation, the drum always sound good within the music as well.

You may like a more controlled sound, but the idea is, the less "stuff" inhibiting your drum, the better result (all around) you will end up with. That makes a lot of sense thinking about it. It's a bit like making a nice dinner and then covering it in salt, pepper, butter and ketchup.

* And if you play in a band, the more they can hear your bass drum, the more you can keep them in line.

Good luck! Enjoy those Platinums!

Back