If you could professionally play only ONE percussion instrument, what would it be?

MrPockets

Gold Member
That means combination instruments are not allowed such as, drum set, timpani, timbales, etc are not allowed.

It would be fun to be a professional vibraslap player.

Cowbell. The world needs more cowbell.

So I can't choose the "spoons" cause there is two of them? Dang. Then I choose my old 13 in Ludwig tom in red sparkle-loved that thing. Fool that I am I let it get away-it was with an old 60s kit-had a huge range.

The clave.
It totally makes the songs Magic Bus and All Right Now.
Every band needs one

That means combination instruments are not allowed such as, drum set, timpani, timbales, etc are not allowed.

It would be fun to be a professional vibraslap player.

Pragmatic answer: obviously a 5-octave marimba. What an amazing instrument.

Interesting answer: perhaps flexatone? Surely there's a lot about that instrument that has yet to be made common practice, given its novelty.

Actual answer: probably some shaker with highly poisonous, fast-acting nuts inside so I could die a quick death when robbed of the rest of the percussion world and realizing that the flexatone actually is just a one-trick pony

I attempted to be a vibraphone player when I got to college. Even had my own set of Deagan vibes built in the 60s. I'd love to be that now, as it would mean a bump-up in my musicianship too.

The snare drum. Orchestra type

Agreed. While their isn't a large demand for them, the best in the world still have full time gigs. I remember an interview that Buddy Rich gave many years ago in which he stated how much he respected and admired the playing ability of Billy Gladstone in NYC.
Now if Buddy said you're a better snare drummer than he was, that meant a lot.

Probably the cajon. I've always wanted one... for the past 6 months...

I guess that passes. No snare strainers of any funny business with wood layers and cutting out wood.

Pragmatic answer: obviously a 5-octave marimba. What an amazing instrument.

I attempted to be a vibraphone player when I got to college

Due to the limitations posed in the original question you must chose your favorite bar.

The last thing I'd want is to be a professional on any instrument, although triangle, vibraslap and rain stick would seem relatively pain-free.

I have busked with just a snare - mostly brushes, sometimes rim clicks with sticks and hands (snares off). That was fun. I've played jams on djembe (only one drum).

I'm thinking a Wave Drum would be good because it's so versatile.

There's nothing fun about ill-conceived hypotheticals.

18131448.jpg

Oh that's delightful. I don't know why the normally so free spirited and fun loving Cruise ship drummer is taking this light hearted thread to sourly. He has grown cynical and cross in his time with us.

I suppose I'd also go with the concert snare drummer. Either that or the guira in a lively Cumbia band.

Back