Music makes no sense

Many human activities - if you think about it - make no sense. Getting addicted to crack, or falling down drunk.....meh, those don't really make sense (to me) either.

But both of those are the unintended extension of things that are fun.

Drinking starts out really fun. Inhibitions come down, everything is such fun...until the point where it isn't. It's really hard to un-have the last three drinks where things turned from fun to not-such-fun.

I've never done crack, but I imagine the first few hits feel terrific. And that's the trouble with drugs...they push really hard at our pleasure centres. And for some people (most?), by the point at which they realise that it's not fun any more is a point that it is difficult to scale back from.

This documentary explains it very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

good points, but the thing that would make sense is to maybe not have the 'last two' drinks.

I like that a few people can walk into a room with their gear, set up, count 1-2-3-4, and suddenly the air is full of beautiful sound patterns.

It seems to make at least as much sense as a lot of other things we do.

"Music makes no sense" because it is such an undervalued commodity on the whole. However it is a profession I personally admire greatly. Yes sadly music and the arts are under valued in their true contribution to culture, science about everything-how sad a world without music. I have a lot of musician friends-all which have other jobs to afford their occupation-oh the irony. Spent lots of years in education and training-mastering their profession (as many other occupations such as physician, lawyer, engineers) but the return won't be there financially-nor often even by your peers-so they took other jobs to afford to be a musician. I have an audio engineer friend who was training to be a professional bassist (training at one of the best schools which evades me now)-he was hot and playing with the likes of Lionel Hampton-but when he went to his professors for praise-he said there was none and that really just bothered him. I guess he figured dang no money no praise why bother-but look at all the musicians who do!!!!!!!! So there it is-look at the ones who do. Makes no sense but thankfully so. Just goes to show you everything doesn't have to make sense. The more I think about it little actually does??

I'll second him seconding that.

(Not really, but it sounds good. I know the secret of life so I'm all good.)

Playing drums has health benefits. It's the other stuff that goes along with it that can be detrimental.

A lifetime ago, while in a band that was starting to 'make it',
I assessed the situation, came to that same conclusion, and decided to walk a
different path.

Would love to hear some more details on this, if you don't mind.

I like that a few people can walk into a room with their gear, set up, count 1-2-3-4, and suddenly the air is full of beautiful sound patterns.

It seems to make at least as much sense as a lot of other things we do.

Thanks Grea. That is a wonderful thing, right?

"Music makes no sense" because it is such an undervalued commodity on the whole. However it is a profession I personally admire greatly. Yes sadly music and the arts are under valued in their true contribution to culture, science about everything-how sad a world without music. I have a lot of musician friends-all which have other jobs to afford their occupation-oh the irony. Spent lots of years in education and training-mastering their profession (as many other occupations such as physician, lawyer, engineers) but the return won't be there financially-nor often even by your peers-so they took other jobs to afford to be a musician. I have an audio engineer friend who was training to be a professional bassist (training at one of the best schools which evades me now)-he was hot and playing with the likes of Lionel Hampton-but when he went to his professors for praise-he said there was none and that really just bothered him. I guess he figured dang no money no praise why bother-but look at all the musicians who do!!!!!!!! So there it is-look at the ones who do. Makes no sense but thankfully so. Just goes to show you everything doesn't have to make sense. The more I think about it little actually does??

You said it. Undervalued is right. And the depths that top 40 music is sinking to, it's just pitiful. Nothing is real anymore, it's all electronic goo

I'll second him seconding that.

(Not really, but it sounds good. I know the secret of life so I'm all good.)

Oh please tell us the secret to life. I've been wondering what that is for quite some time now.

Music makes sense. LIFE doesn't make sense.
Spoken like a true wizard!

Why would I want to pay bills, brush my teeth, sleep, or watch TV when I can sit on the couch zoning out with a guitar or bass? If I feel like wasting a few precious minutes driving to my practice space where my drums are, I'll do it, but the dopamine hit I used to get learning new things on drums have been largely replaced by playing on an instrument I don't know nearly as well.

I love being a noob where everything is fresh and new, and where the discoveries and breakthroughs come in huge chunks.

Music is an addiction, pure and simple.

OK so David (DMACC) says it's a disease, and he really sounds like he truly believes it. Mike you say it's an addiction, which they call a disease today. It's funny and all but are people who love being say an architect diseased as well? It seems like music is in it's own category because what architect will work for free?

I never actually considered seriously that it's a disease. I think it's closer to sex. A need.

For me just Learning the craft and developing is a joy. I don't watch TV, don't really read much, don't knit either or collect stamps. I hate watching sports except for the occasional boxing match.

When it comes to making a living, not just popular music, but music in general isn't the same to me. Very hard to find people who enjoy just jamming and have heard of dynamics, chords with more than 3 notes, have a personal style of depth and expression.......

Sadly, in todays economy teaching has reached a serious low in most places as well. Just gove me one student who's passionate and willing to do the work and it makes my day.

Back