Booking the band...

MaryO2

So Im turning to my friends here for some help and advice. A lot of you are out playing in bands, either orginals or covers. Our cover band is well underway and we are hopefully heading towards our first gig in the next couple of months. It is my job to start working on booking gigs. Lucky me. Anyways, this is all new to me and I really have no idea where to begin to get us out there.

I do know we'll need a demo CD and will be working on getting that done. Also we have a band name and logo and I'm working on getting things like business/booking cards, banners and such made. I will also start a band Facebook page when I have enough to do so.

HOwever, it's actually dealing with the venues that I just don't know how to handle. So my question is this...how did you guys get started as a new band? Was is it really just a matter of going door to door so to speak? Did any of you put yourself out there on Craigslist or anything similar saying you were available for gigs? Did you go through a booking agent?

Any advice or anecdotes from your own experiences would be great to hear. We are still building our setlists so this is not something that's going to happen right away but I need to start figuring out the process. I'm trying not to appear completely green when I go deal with the venues.

Thanks everyone! I"ll be interested to see your responses.

MaryO

Forget a CD. Few would bother, and many laptops no longer support CD's.
A cover band needs a website that people can stream your videos (u-tubes) or recordings, or read about your genres/setlists. As you've maybe not done a gig, maybe you want to do a video playing in your practice space.

Back