I jammed with people I didn't know!

Magenta

Platinum Member
This evening our singer and I went to a newly-established jam night. It was so newly-established that there were only three other musicians there (another singer, another drummer and a guitarist) and not very many punters, but I had the time of my life!

I played one song that was in my repertoire, and a couple of others that weren't. The other drummer delegated "Hold The Line" to me, and while it was not quite the classic version, it most certainly wasn't a train wreck. I was actually astonished at how well it went. So was everybody else, haga!

The guitarist and I also did a bit of jamming together. It was only the second time I'd ever done this, but before long I was throwing in fills (tasteful and appropriate ones, natch) and bashing cymbals with gay abandon.

It was all so much more fun than the jam night we usually go to, where there's never any real jamming, just the same people performing the same songs. The five of us got on really well, and we're determined to keep it going, in this format, so that anybody can turn up and play.

If anybody had told me even last week that I'd be happily and confidently playing unfamiliar songs in public with people I'd never met before, I'd never have believed them. I can hardly wait to do it again!

That's the excitement of a jam: you never know what will happen!

It's probably not a good situation for someone who's very insecure, but it's great for building confidence, learning some new songs, and networking.

Congrats!

Bermuda

Madge, you hussy, you!!

Fantastic! I'm glad to hear you did so well and enjoyed yourself.

Two thumbs up!

Jams where it's music first are wonderful. Great for practicing listening. And that feeling when you are locked in with others and the song is playing itself, priceless. That's what jamming really is. Why we play music. The level of sophistication is much less important than if the music comes together.

Fan-freakin-tastic!

I recently showed up to a "bring an instrument" backyard BBQ with my "cafe kit," which I had never played before, to play with people I had mostly never met before in a style I had never played before. A trial by fire and a confidence builder.

There's a magic to that kind of playing that is unique, both for the players and the listeners.

Sounds like you all had a great time.

How did it go over with les punteurs? Me, I love watching that kind of thing.

Sounds really fun, Madge! Welcome to the wonderful world of improvising :) I agree with Aeolian, jamming is the best fun if you find people who can give and take.

Thanks, all! What I'm most pleased about is how far I've come in terms of confidence: I used to be that very insecure person that Bermuda talks about, who would have been reduced to tears at the prospect of doing what I did last night. Apparently I played almost too loud, as well - who'd have ever thought that would happen?

Aeolian, we were a million miles away from being "locked in", but it was very satisfying to play with new people and for it to work. There was certainly a lot of listening going on, which I guess is the key.

SK - Your barbecue sounds brilliant fun! As for the punters, one of them seemed to like it; at least he stayed till the end :)

James - no video. Probably just as well. "Hold The Line" probably didn't really sound anything like I think it did.

The other drummer delegated "Hold The Line" to me,
Probably because they can't get that HH lift in on the 6 ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, great news! Agreed, your regular "jam" night is more of a house band captive stage night with occasional guests. Not exactly a creative/organic experience. Sounds like this particular night/setup is much more satisfying for you, & a lot more inclusive too.

Hope my jam experience next weekend mirrors yours. Somehow, I doubt it :(

Good on you, Madge! I have enjoyed reading of your progress and growth very much. This is another awesome chapter!

It's working! You are doing it! Keep going back to this scene and it might grow, especially if it's advertised somewhere (that might just be a chalkboard in front of the place "Jam session Thursday night")

This evening our singer and I went to a newly-established jam night. It was so newly-established that there were only three other musicians there (another singer, another drummer and a guitarist) and not very many punters, but I had the time of my life!

I played one song that was in my repertoire, and a couple of others that weren't. The other drummer delegated "Hold The Line" to me, and while it was not quite the classic version, it most certainly wasn't a train wreck. I was actually astonished at how well it went. So was everybody else, haga!

The guitarist and I also did a bit of jamming together. It was only the second time I'd ever done this, but before long I was throwing in fills (tasteful and appropriate ones, natch) and bashing cymbals with gay abandon.

It was all so much more fun than the jam night we usually go to, where there's never any real jamming, just the same people performing the same songs. The five of us got on really well, and we're determined to keep it going, in this format, so that anybody can turn up and play.

If anybody had told me even last week that I'd be happily and confidently playing unfamiliar songs in public with people I'd never met before, I'd never have believed them. I can hardly wait to do it again!

It's a great feeling when you feel like you've known someone a long time even though you're only a minute into meeting them over a tune...

When our band was in it's very early days we used to frequent a lot of these jam nights because we knew we'd be able to play for a decent length of time (they aren't generally so popular over here). I used to love them because even when a different guitarist or bassist wanted to come up and play...they were always without a drummer.

Love it..."no idea how that song goes"..."don't worry mate it's just 4/4"...."oh right" and away we go.

The joy of drums I think. Learn to very basically hold time and a beat and you can play with a band.

I want to jam with you guys now. I can bring a bass and amp, round out the sound.

Probably because they can't get that HH lift in on the 6 ;) ;) ;)

Hope my jam experience next weekend mirrors yours. Somehow, I doubt it :(

Haha, I thought of you as I played it! I should confess that I didn't absolutely nail the lift, but the intention was there, even if it was more of a splutter than a sizzle, though I think that was to some extent down to a bad combination of HH pedal and heels.

As for next weekend: it's going to be THE best evah. Don't forget that most of the audience are going to feel relieved and jealous in equal measures that it isn't them playing!

Good on you, Madge! I have enjoyed reading of your progress and growth very much. This is another awesome chapter!
Thank you so much for that, it means a lot :) I couldn't wait to tell DW about it because I wanted my friends here to know that I try really hard to take the advice they're kind enough to offer me, and I appreciate their support and encouragement.

I used to love them because even when a different guitarist or bassist wanted to come up and play...they were always without a drummer.

Love it..."no idea how that song goes"..."don't worry mate it's just 4/4"...."oh right" and away we go.

That's what I was hoping would happen, so I was a bit peeved when there was another drummer there!

it might grow, especially if it's advertised somewhere (that might just be a chalkboard in front of the place "Jam session Thursday night")

You just reminded me. The pub is called Y Tai, so it occurred to us to call the event "Tai Noodles" - but we felt sure that some people would find it misleading :(

I want to jam with you guys now. I can bring a bass and amp, round out the sound.

Next Thursday. 21:00. See you there ;)

Last edited:
Nice one really glad you enjoyed it.

I did a similar thing on Wednesday night. My bass player mate and myself met up with a 30 year old vocalist, who had never sung with a band in his life, a Jazz guitarist and a 68 year old blues keyboard player. What could possibly go wrong.

We had a go at "Joy and Pain", "Love Rears its Ugly Head" and the John Mayer version of "I Got a Woman" none of which I had player before. It was great, I was listening and concentrating so hard I was really at the sharp end. The guitarist recorded some of it and at one point it almost sounded like "Headhunters", well, you know, a watered down version. We threw stuff around for three hours, enjoyed it so much we have booked a rehearsal room for next week.

Keep it up Madge, If I get another chance just to jam I wont turn it down.

Madge you little slut! Going around town and engaging in questionable anonymous sax! Hussy!

I can feel your excitement clear over here in Pennsylvania. Jams are the best work hardening thing I can think of. And look at you, abandoning gays and filling appropriately! We're all quite proud. Just don't get any designs on singing. I don't want you to leave like MaryO.

Keep it up Madge, If I get another chance just to jam I wont turn it down.

Your do sounds a lot of fun too! And yes, it's a wonderful opportunity.

Madge you little slut! Going around town and engaging in questionable anonymous sax! Hussy!

I can feel your excitement clear over here in Pennsylvania. Jams are the best work hardening thing I can think of. And look at you, abandoning gays and filling appropriately! We're all quite proud. Just don't get any designs on singing. I don't want you to leave like MaryO.

You've got me chortling away there, Lar! But let the singing be the least of your worries.

At least it didn't involve lasagne ;)

HAGA!!

I just messaged you, btw. Not about that.

Back