Shell Pack, Sonor or Ludwig???

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hello, which would you choose?
I know one is birch and 1 is maple, just want to know your thoughts.
1) 24x17.5, 12x9, 16x16 Sonor S classix or
2) 24x16, 13x9, 16x16 Ludwig classic maple 7 ply

Which do you believe to be the better shell pack?
I know they have different sounds, what I want to know is if you had the option which would you pick????
Thanks

I'm a Sonor guy - I'd go for those.

However, I don't believe much in that they have their own sounds. I think you should be able to tune either one of them to sound like the other given the same heads and all that.
Any differences you notice will strictly be your own. But you are talking birch (Sonor) as opposed to maple (if that's what Ludwig is using).

What criteria are you using to judge which is better?

I would say the Ludwig kit represents a much better value since they can be had for about half the cost of the Sonor kit.

The Sonor kit is likely to sound somewhat brighter with more attack due to the birch shells.

I'm not sure it's a matter of "better" just different.

I'm from the U.S.A so I gotta say the Ludwig's,
Sonor's are beautiful but I like Ludwig's better IMHO of course.

Bonzolead

Sonor's are beautiful but I like Ludwig's better IMHO of course.

Bonzolead

I really don't understand why. Given a choice between a Premier and a Sonor, I'd go for the Sonor kit every time and I am as British as a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich, cut into little wedges with the crust removed. Sonor just make better drums. Blind patriotism shouldn't come into it.

I really don't understand why. Given a choice between a Premier and a Sonor, I'd go for the Sonor kit every time and I am as British as a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich, cut into little wedges with the crust removed. Sonor just make better drums. Blind patriotism shouldn't come into it.

Sorry I really like Luddies better(Ringo,Bonham,Palmer,I could keep going on & on) USA has nothing to do with it I'm from Detroit we have the worse economic situation in the states period. It's not Blind Patroitism it's. just Patroitism.

Oh I own a set of Ludwig's that's why I said LUDWIG. I would put a set of Legacy Ludwig's against any Sonor's. I just think Ludwig's are a better value.

Bonzolead

Bonzolead

Was the first line.

In terms of value, perhaps, but I don't find that to be a criteria in the question! He asked which was better. That is, without doubt, the Sonor.

Was the first line.

In terms of value, perhaps, but I don't find that to be a criteria in the question! He asked which was better. That is, without doubt, the Sonor.
we agree too disagree that's a shocker. that's what makes the world go around you can't. have a yin without the yang. different strokes for different folks.

Bonzolead

Just grinding some gears. The new avatar says it all.

You know as well as I do that Sonor is the only way to go. Yeah! Take that!

Ludwig
I know one is birch and 1 is maple, just want to know your thoughts.
1) 24x17.5, 12x9, 16x16 Sonor S classix or
2) 24x16, 13x9, 16x16 Ludwig classic maple 7 ply
I don't care for the Sonor sizes. 24x17.5 ... Perfect for me would be 24x14. The Luddy comes in closer on the kick, at 24x16. Same with the 12x9 rack. Not a size I would "prefer". No, I'd rather have a 13x9, especially if it was being combo'd with a 16" floor and a 24" kick.

Which do you believe to be the better shell pack?
So Ludwig is my choice. Not based on Nationalism ... or which company makes a better drum ... or which kit is a better value for the dollar.
Good to see you back, MFB.​

.........Which do you believe to be the better shell pack?

......................... what I want to know is if you had the option which would you pick????

Personally?.................Ludwig.....first time every time.

Why? After 37 years, I've obviously bought into the romance, history, fantasy and sound surrounding them.

That said, I've owned a Sonor kit (loved it, but no more than any other kit)....and I've gigged with a mid 60's era Ludwig....I know what "floated my boat" here...no doubt about it.

He asked which was better.

Indeed he did........but he also asked (twice) what I prefer. I'm running with "prefer" for the purposes of this argument.

Great to see you back, indeed!!

I guess if national pride were to enter into the equation, then I should be calling Brady.......however, until they offer them at a more reasonable price to the locals, to what they sell them for O/S, then I'm sticking with the Luddies.

You know as well as I do that Sonor is the only way to go. Yeah! Take that!

Dude, what do you know? You only have 30 posts!

(yes that's an inside joke all ya'll :)

mediocrefunkybeat at one time here had close to like 12,000 posts. He may not want to explain, he may not even remember, or may have taken an oath not to tell. Could have been an alien abduction, or it might just be 'someone else' posting as mediocrefunkybeat... an as yet unsolved DW forum mystery.

SONOR- better quality, higher resale value anywhere on this planet.

Sorry, let me modify that-

SONOR- better quality and higher resale value than LUDWIG anywhere on this planet.

Last edited:
Dude, what do you know? You only have 30 posts!

SONOR- better quality, higher resale value anywhere on this planet.

Sorry, let me modify that-

SONOR- better quality and higher resale value than LUDWIG anywhere on this planet.

You will still lose more money on the sale of a used Sonor kit than a used Ludwig Classic Maple kit... drums don't hold their value period - they are not like guitars - and a $3,000 Sonor kit might sell for $1,500 used where your $1500 Ludwig Kit might sell for $800 used... which has the better resale value?

And I'm not sure how you are judging quality - but you really need to back up a blanket statement like that with facts... if the bearing edges are cut properly, the finish done correctly and the hardware works - I'd say the quality is comparable on 99.99% of high end kits these days.

Sonor and Ludwig both make great kits... I have yet to hear anybody on this thread address the SOUND of the drums - as to why the OP might pick one over the other... I would say that's the most important factor - no?

I really appreciate all the feedback here guys, it helps.
I do like both kits, both companies are fantastic, it just comes down to sound, I'm leaning towards the Sonor, however the price difference is a hard pill to swallow, but when purchasing a drum kit that will hopefully be your last (yeah right) then the price has got to swallowed, agreed?
Keep the feedback coming it's great to hear people that have experience in testing out both of these products, it does help tons,

Cheers guys.

I have yet to hear anybody on this thread address the SOUND of the drums - as to why the OP might pick one over the other... I would say that's the most important factor - no?
Except he already KNOWS they sound different. I have yet to see in your post, where you address the initial question.
I know they have different sounds, what I want to know is if you had the option which would you pick????

Except he already KNOWS they sound different. I have yet to see in your post, where you address the initial question.

Sorry... I have egg on my face now!

You are correct - somehow I missed that!

To me again - once you get to the pro level from most of the major manufacturers - quality does not vary that much.... I guess I would go with the luddies due to the overall bang for your buck and aesthetics... I think the Sonor's look great - but i prefer more classically styled drums.

Again - sorry - i just assumed the OP wanted to know what the difference in sound would be.

My apologies!

Back