Things you hate to have happen while drumming

i hate when im doing fills and my sticks consitently hit the hoops not fun

I have to assume your a beginner with a problem like this...at least I hope you are, couldn't see how old you were on your profile... even a 40 yr old can pick up the drums & be a beginner...so I don't mean to insult you..

But either way...you desperatley need to fix that...it's simple..play a basic beat and for a whole week utilize 1 drum at a time...but before you do...set your toms & floor tom so your not reaching. & they are comfortable to hit.

All Toms place level across & set the rims 1" apart...enough so they don't hit each other

Week #1 - play a 1 count 1/16th note drum fill on Tom # 1 every other 4th count
Week #2 - play a 2 count 1.16th note drum fill on Tom # 1-2 every other 3rd & 4th count
Week #3 - play a 2 count 1.16th note drum fill on Tom # 1-2-3 every other 2nd-3rd -4th ct

I hate it when I play badly, or can't think of anything new.

I hate dropping sticks, because while some people can retrieve or grab a new one gracefully, I usually fumble.

It's not something that happened while playing, but it's something that gets me very mad. I have a friend that ALWAYS wants to play my drums and all he evey does (since he has no rhythm) is blast beats(horrible blast beats at that). Just gets annoying especially at practice when we try to get things done but thats all he wants to do.
Oh my gosh man I hear you! I know this kid that is just like that. He has absolutely 0 rhythm and somehow he thinks he's good! He randomly smacks the whole kit with no rhythm or technique extremely HARD. I cringe just hearing him play, thinking how many different ways he could destroy parts of my kit! He's got like a serious case of adhd!

On to the question...Hmm I love drumming so I don't really hate anything that happens, you've gotta make mistakes to learn. But I really don't like playing other peoples kits because they are usually terrible. Especially at gigs.

I hate it when I play badly, or can't think of anything new.

When ever you can't think of anything new to play ...teach yourself a new song you love the drumming in, try and tackle something a level above your ability, this way you will challenge yourself & don't quit till you get it...you'll accomplish a few things

1- You'll be forced to play perfectly in time with the song
2- It'll keep your interest up because it's a new project
3- You'll increase your ear training skills trying to break down the drum parts
4- And you just the bar a little higher for yourself & set a new goal

You have a "Great" day......Lee

When ever you can't think of anything new to play ...teach yourself a new song you love the drumming in, try and tackle something a level above your ability, this way you will challenge yourself & don't quit till you get it...you'll accomplish a few things

1- You'll be forced to play perfectly in time with the song
2- It'll keep your interest up because it's a new project
3- You'll increase your ear training skills trying to break down the drum parts
4- And you just the bar a little higher for yourself & set a new goal

You have a "Great" day......Lee

Dont forget to steal ideas off Gadd....

i never drop sticks because i use vater nude 5a but thos things break easy enough which always seems to happen in the middle of a song and i forgot to fill up my stick holder at the start of a gig and i end up playing the rest of the song with one stick and during that same song my snare stand unscrewed and went down to my feet at around same time the stick broke i just laugh at it now but it was the worst experince of my drumming life

Every once n awhile I will crack the right corner of my eye with the stick on the down stroke. Man that hurts.

I hate it when I just found some cool licks or fills and I practise them so I don't forget them, or when I'm just very creative, and then my mom comes in to tell me to stop.

And also, playing a hard rimshot with your nail on the rim, so your nail is split in two, hurts...
I had that yesterday lol.

I have to assume your a beginner with a problem like this...at least I hope you are, couldn't see how old you were on your profile... even a 40 yr old can pick up the drums & be a beginner...so I don't mean to insult you..

But either way...you desperatley need to fix that...it's simple..play a basic beat and for a whole week utilize 1 drum at a time...but before you do...set your toms & floor tom so your not reaching. & they are comfortable to hit.

All Toms place level across & set the rims 1" apart...enough so they don't hit each other

Week #1 - play a 1 count 1/16th note drum fill on Tom # 1 every other 4th count
Week #2 - play a 2 count 1.16th note drum fill on Tom # 1-2 every other 3rd & 4th count
Week #3 - play a 2 count 1.16th note drum fill on Tom # 1-2-3 every other 2nd-3rd -4th ct

nah man nah.. im deff not a noob to drums.. most of the time i dont think so my sticks click on the hoops or on the sticks.. but for the most part everything else is good timewise posture wise beatwise

or how about your excited about a gig and you count off and jab the stick in your eyeball(happened to me las summer)

Dont forget to steal ideas off Gadd....

First I havn't listned to Steve Gadd since 1973 when he played with Jim Groce etc...He's great but Im not into most of his kind music as "great" a drummer he is..

So I truly don't know what ideas your talking about...clue me in...then once you point them out.... can you please tell me who Steve Gadd stoled those ideas off so I know the exact history of the original source...and I will be sure to credit that person...

Thank You..Lee

I really hate when this happens:

1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a-4-e-and...........NO - 3!!!!

And then the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch blows up in your face.

One time when I scratched my face during a break, I started to come in and had somehow managed to put the drumstick between my head and my in-ear cable. So coming down to the snare with my hand gave me a ringing ear, confused look on the face, and no monitor. This was during praise time at church, where everyone is in a 10-30 ft radius of where I'm sitting, and as I'm the lead singer and the drums are right below the screen, they look at me a lot. I looked extra smart that day.

First I havn't listned to Steve Gadd since 1973 when he played with Jim Groce etc...He's great but Im not into most of his kind music as "great" a drummer he is..

So I truly don't know what ideas your talking about...clue me in...then once you point them out.... can you please tell me who Steve Gadd stoled those ideas off so I know the exact history of the original source...and I will be sure to credit that person...

Thank You..Lee

Ouch....

Let me just point out that what Im about to say will be backed up by almost every other member here.

Steve Gadd is an innovator. Have you ever heard the groove from 50 ways in a song recorded previously?
Has anyone pre-gadd played some of the unique crazy army licks?
I could go on.

To be precise, Steve Gadd didnt steal his ideas from anyone - he took them and modified them to suit the song.

Now, call me ignorant, but Im not sure there was ever a Gadd before Gadd....

Next youll be telling me that Buddy Rich stole his ideas from Joey Jordison....
lol, I joke.

Back