How many of you use a 20" kick. Not just for jazz but everything you play?

What about something like a 12" tom, though? That's a smaller drum, and you should be able to match the dynamics you can play with your sticks on the tom with the dynamics you can play with your foot on the bass drum.

Sure. But I meant in terms of balancing with the band. I can pretty much take any kit and play it balanced against itself, but as soon as you add a bass player, guitar player, keyboards.....I found the 18" bass drum starts to get lost - especially if you have it tuned down to give them a "traditional" bass drum sound that's good for everything. Peter Erskine played an 18" with the Jaco Pastorius big band long ago and it sounded awesome when it was mic'd up - you get enough low end. Same with Will Kennedy with the 'jackets. The only way to help an 18" project without mics is to crank it up some, and that Jack Dejohnette sound doesn't really work for songs like "The Hustle". Well, unless you want that, of course.

I have played all kinds of music in some pretty large venues with this 20 inch shallow bass drum kit.
This bass drum is amazing with or without a mic. It punches through any mix.

Attachments

• 0520002112.jpg
    0520002112.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 339
I have played all kinds of music in some pretty large venues with this 20 inch shallow bass drum kit.

Hey Bob,

Dontcha' know those shallow bass drums put you too close to the other performers and/or audience? No one wants the drummer that close and in your face! Why else do we have 20" deep bass drums now? Gotta keep the groove animals in the back!

Hey Bob,

Dontcha' know those shallow bass drums put you too close to the other performers and/or audience? No one wants the drummer that close and in your face! Why else do we have 20" deep bass drums now? Gotta keep the groove animals in the back!
Everyone laughs at my bass drum until they hear it and then see me pick it up with just a few fingers on one hand and walk away!

I got a score on my current kit which came with a 22" bass. But I'd looked around for one with a 20 and if I hadn't found the one on sale that I did, I would have ordered the 20. No problems at all with the size. Until the last 3 kits, I've always had 20s.

I use a 20" for everything which is mostly rock and metal stuff. It has a nice punch to it.

Ha, its funny, everyones talking about how great it is being short with a smaller bass drum, well. I'm looking into buying a Ddrum dios M 5 piece with a 20x20 bass, which is different from my current, and boring, 22x18 bass. but this 20 is a MONSTER!!! Anywho, i came across this thread, and how do you guys think ima feel, you may be short, but im 6'4!! its gonna be like playin' a friggin kiddie kit!!! haha

Ha, its funny, everyones talking about how great it is being short with a smaller bass drum, well. I'm looking into buying a Ddrum dios M 5 piece with a 20x20 bass, which is different from my current, and boring, 22x18 bass. but this 20 is a MONSTER!!! Anywho, i came across this thread, and how do you guys think ima feel, you may be short, but im 6'4!! its gonna be like playin' a friggin kiddie kit!!! haha
I'm 6 feet tall and I always feel great when I play this 20" bass kit!
There is something about my Pearl Rhythm Traveler that makes me feel like a kid again.
Thats why I bought a ddrum rack and floor tom and kept the Traveler's bass drum for the alternative configuration that I posted the pic of earlier in this thread.
I mounted the RT toms on a stand and I also use them as accent drums.

I also have a kit with a 14x18 bass drum. It is my favorite kit of the four that I own.

I started playing small bass drum kits again about a year and a half ago. I hadn't had a small bass drum kit since the early 70's when I had my first 60's era Slingerland 20" bass 4 piece.

Yes, I still play my 22" bass vintage Gretsch kit and love it.

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 0718001236a.jpg
    0718001236a.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I play a 20 x 17 birch kick. It's outfitted with EMAD2 / EMAD combo. and a Kickport. I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison with a 22" version of the same model. I'm thinking it would be louder and maybe a tad less pedal bounce.

I do love the portability of this drum. It fits in the back seat of my extended cab truck. Not having to transport it in the bed is nice.

I use a 20', I find it a little more focused and can quiet down a bit faster when needed. My best bass drum was actually a vintage 18" Gretsch, it really sounded great.

Last edited:
I have a 20x18 kick with my Premier set that I have gigged with for the last 2+ years, but I recently bought a Ludwig set in Bonham sizes...

I never had a problem with the 20", and have been complimented on its sound at shows, I just really wanted to try something big and boomy instead of small and punchy. I will keep both kits, as obviously there will be times in my life where a 26" kick will not be appropriate lol

I'm actually selling my 20" Oak Custom bass drum right now because it is a little too big of a sound for me. I think I can do everything I need to with an 18". I think 20" should be the standard though. They are so much better feeling/sounding than a huge 22" drum (to me) when performing.

Back