Question: Im moving place from Asia to the US.

locomoco

Hi all,

I was wondering how i can bring all my equipment to the states. Theres a standard weight at the customs so im sure all the equipment will exceed the total weight. Is there a way i can bring all over? (10+cymbals, 3 snares, some drums, pedals etc) How do you guys do it when you move from state to state during the harsh conditions period? besides driving.

Thanks!

I think that you will have to just put all of your drums in a crate and ship them via UPS or a similar freight company that handles customs.
When shipping personal possessions from State to State within the United States there are no customs to pass through. Our constitution protects our right to move our possessions and ourselves from State to State.
Welcome to America!
Have you contacted a shipping company yet? What exactly is the max weight? I know people that ship large pieces of furniture all around the world!

Shipping fragile things like that overseas can be a pain in the ass. I am moving to Kenya right now, and I'm selling my kit here in the states and finding a new one when I get there. I will probably save at least several hundred dollars, potentially a lot more, depending on what kind of damage the kit may have had after shipping. But, of course, sometimes your gear is YOUR gear, and a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :)

I was thinking that also Clayton. Keep your favorite cymbals, Sell your kit in Asia, buy a new kit when you arrive in the US.
We don't know the value of his drums and cymbals, So its hard to make a decision.

You're best bet is to put all of your equipment in crates.

1219646115quQ8uu.jpg

Make sure it all packed well and protected from damage.

Then if you're overly cautious, you can reinforce the corners with metal angle iron or proper metal corners that are put onto higher quality equipment cases.

Freight shipped on container ships is less expensive than commercial freight carriers like DHL or UPS or FedEx

Oh, and if you do decide to ship your current drums, DON'T FORGET TO WRAP THEM with some kind of plastic material, i.e: saran wrap. An international shipping store should have this. There is a LOT of theft in international shipping routes, so by wrapping your crate (even if it is already nailed down), you can deter would-be theives from taking a peek. It not only makes it obvious if the package has been tampered with, but is also another thick layer that someone would need to cut through if they wanted to poke around.

Appreciate the replies.

Okay, what ive got is about 70kg's worth of equipment. I was thinking, would it be worth shipping them over? Ive thought about selling them here but im sure ill be making a loss because ive got most of my equipment here for a steal...1st hand. What do you say Clayton..bobdadruma? Ill be going over to Las Vegas, would be great if i have some contacts there. i guess i will have to start to network again. Here's my web, click on Gear Talk to see more of it..http://eatthegroove.blogspot.com/

Back