My Dad got me into Rush...

NeuralizerTY

My dad showed me All the World's a Stage and I instantly went from playing my 4 piece to building this -
60931_1554821103319_1018933890_31618866_1866109_n.jpg

311389_2320346000963_1018933890_32664497_2039691602_n.jpg

Who has inspired your kit?

The load in.
And don't forget the load out! Let's face it, at the end of the night, the brain may not be firing on all the cylinders it was just a few hours earlier. I've had my kit "downsized" just by not keeping careful track in the wee hours. I had a bandmate set his guitar on the sidewalk while loading out one night and he drove away without it! One less thing to worry about, I guess...

I always liked Neil Peart growing up so when I got a chance to buy any kit I wanted, I went big. It didn't last very long, though, and not just because of the PITA it was to move (hell, I was young enough not to care about that), but because playing monster kits just wasn't what the music I was into needed. Funny because I play a one-up two-down kit of larger-sized drums nowadays, which could easily be construed as a Bonham influence, but he had very little to do with it since he wasn't very high on my list of heroes - not until later, anyway.

What was that ATWAS kit, anyway? If memory serves it was a Slingerland: 6/8/10/12 concert toms, 13/13/14 rack toms, 16 floor, 2x 22" kicks, and a 5.5x14 snare. Cymbals: 2x 16", 18", 20" crashes, 22" Ride, 14" 2oo2 SE hats. Did I miss anything? (oh yeah, 8" and 10" splashes and some cowbells)

Last edited:
Cool picture, but I can't imagine how you can play with your bass drums that far apart! If you check pics of Neil's double bass kits, he kept the bass drums quite close together.

Nice kit, but I would need to make some adjustments to be playable for me.

Welcome to the forum and to the Rush fanclub. My son and I go see Rush as often as we can, and I've only missed two tours since 1979!

Cool picture, but I can't imagine how you can play with your bass drums that far apart! If you check pics of Neil's double bass kits, he kept the bass drums quite close together.

I agree, unless he's 8 feet tall. I can't tell what kind of drums they are, but it's laid out nicely for a large kit.

Dennis

Nice setup. Nice picks. A man after my own heart. Take a look at my setup. You might like it also. Neil is the man! Us large kit guys have to stick together on here. Most of these guys like 4 piece kits. Can you imagine? :)

I agree, unless he's 8 feet tall. I can't tell what kind of drums they are, but it's laid out nicely for a large kit.

Dennis

They're Pearl. Obviously this guy has good taste.

I enjoy seeing so much extra percussion on sets like this. Expanding your sound palette like that is never a bad thing.

Great kit, great pics!

Nice kit and kudos for placing some Z's in there. They are the redheaded step child around these parts. But when loud and obnoxious is the only way to make your bandmates cringe.....well.

Back