New Unix Zebrawood Snare Drum

lo0n

Well my 7 x 14 x 1/2" thickness Zebrano Stave Snare Drum arrived today (02-04-10). I am very pleased with this drum it's just beautiful. Frank @Unix Drums is a very fine craftsman and sure knows how to build a drum. Here are some pictures for your pleasure:

IMG_8287.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8274.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8301.jpg

Gorgeous looking drum. How was it manufactured? Is it a one piece drum?

WoW amazing look, that baby has to sound like a cannon! Nice job Frank! Thanks for sharing in your fun! How does it sound?

JIM

Gorgeous looking drum. How was it manufactured? Is it a one piece drum?

It's stave (says so in the OP), so vertical staves glued in a polygon and then lathed to a round shell. Unix always makes them seem seamless. Like Lo0n said, Unix really knows how to build stave drums.

It's beautiful! I really dig the black hardware. I like how it contrasts with the wood.
I am also curious for sound fragments / video.
Is that Unix's hybrid bearing edge? Looks nice!

Dude...

Sexiest snare drum ever.

On a more serious note, what bearing edge does that have? Looks rather round in that overhead photo of it.

It's stave (says so in the OP), so vertical staves glued in a polygon and then lathed to a round shell. Unix always makes them seem seamless. Like Lo0n said, Unix really knows how to build stave drums.

Strange, the text hadn't shown before I moved on down the post. I've got an old tired workhorse of a pc. And I think my monitor is about to die.

Great drum!

That's a fine looking snare drum, congratulations! It appears as though there is some rounding towards the edges of the shell. Is that a feature you specifically requested? (Actually, am I right about the rounding or is my doctor on the ball in saying it's time I got some glasses?)

Thanks for all the kind words ;)

Dude...

Sexiest snare drum ever.

On a more serious note, what bearing edge does that have? Looks rather round in that overhead photo of it.

That's a fine looking snare drum, congratulations! It appears as though there is some rounding towards the edges of the shell. Is that a feature you specifically requested? (Actually, am I right about the rounding or is my doctor on the ball in saying it's time I got some glasses?)

Is that Unix's hybrid bearing edge? Looks nice!

Yes, It is the Unix hybrid bearing edge. You can find more info on it here: (Thanks Philly)
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44519

WoW amazing look, that baby has to sound like a cannon! Nice job Frank! Thanks for sharing in your fun! How does it sound?

JIM

stunning snare ! its amazing how snare drums are more like pieces of art ! how is the sound with that thick of zebrawood?

The sound of this drum is fantastic it has plenty of warmth and attack, it has a woody sound with little to no ring. I have the batter side tension medium tight and the snare side tuned a little on the tight side. I have played around with the tuning a little bit and found that this thing has no limit. It sounds great cranked up tight with a rimshot that is insanely loud or tuned lower to get that really fat sound. I could not be happier with this drum.

Thanks again for all the kind words from everyone.

Last edited:
Hey, is that the French flag on the strand? A great touch of class!

For the rest I guess I am becoming monotonous: Unix drums are beautiful and this one is another "chef-d'œuvre".

Actually, the snare shipped with the wires loose and no strap or string to attach them. I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought that fabric ribbon. It is just a simple red, white and blue ribbon. It was either that or something real frilly and feminine looking (rainbow colored, pink with lace, sheer see thru material, etc.) I wasn't going to have something like that on my snare drum, ha ha ha. ;)

A beauty! Looks like a one piece(Like all the stave from Frank).
Another Masterpiece from Unix.

We want sound file!

That's a farkin sweet drum brother!! Congratulations and welcome to "Club Unix". Francois does such incredible work (not that I need to tell you that). My g/f is getting jealous and angry because I have a new love in my life...

I really dig the specs you chose, and that Zebrano is absolutely beautiful. I want to hear some sound clips!

Back