DW Drum Price question...

I'm perplexed by this as well. I get several percussion/drum catalogs mailed to me, and one has Zildjian's prices, but it says "Call For Price" listed by all the Sabians. Another catalog has exactly the opposite in their catalog, cloaking the price of the Zildjians. Drum companies do the same thing. DW, however, is notorious for almost never disclosing their prices for kits. I've only seen the price listed in the Guitar Center mailer, and only then for a specific configuration/color.

Maybe it's part of the mystique they are creating with all of their marketing hype. My advice: buy one used! There are PLENTY on craigslist and eBay right now. I'm sure you'll find one you like...

It is probably in their dealer contract not being able to advertise prices.

what a drag...I guess an email or phone call is required.

Why don't dealers advertise the price of DW when they advertise other companies prices? It seems if you want to sell something you list a price. Or not ?

Here's an example: http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_33

These, from MDS, are most likely drop shipped items and not in current store inventory. As such, they don't know what their laid in costs are until they [themselves] price it out. Were they to try, they would certainly add the tag line "price subject to change."

So it becomes a marketing choice of two evils:

1. Price subject to change; or
2. Call for price and availability.

MDS has chosen tag line #2 ... so would I.

FWIW ... I've purchased from Memphis Drum Shop and have always found their pricing and shipping costs to be very competitive. If you're interested in an item that they have invited you to call about ... give 'em a call. They sell used, too, and I'm big on good used drum gear.

Tony A-

I asked a similar question a while back and the general answer was MAP. Manufactures Advertised Price. They are under contract or agreement to advertise at a particular price and not lower. In order to sell lower they have to keep that price under wraps until you call. I was told by one dealer that the price I paid for my Zildjian A's was almost at his cost. The dealer I bought from listed MAP but said to call first.
I also think DW Drums are almost always custom to some degree and to list prices for all finish options would take pages.

I asked a similar question a while back and the general answer was MAP. Manufactures Advertised Price. They are under contract or agreement to advertise at a particular price and not lower. In order to sell lower they have to keep that price under wraps until you call. I was told by one dealer that the price I paid for my Zildjian A's was almost at his cost. The dealer I bought from listed MAP but said to call first.
I also think DW Drums are almost always custom to some degree and to list prices for all finish options would take pages.

True, and true.

There are so many options with DW, and different finish types have different price points.

Back