Just in case you forgot

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all - just sittin' around waiting for my dental work to settle in, so I set-up my Luddies in the kitchen for a jam. Yes - I still have these even though I'm a committed Pearl guy nowadays. These just have this mojo even though they're from 2013 (but the snare is from 1978). And doesn't that Blue/Olive Oyster finish look cool? Classic maple 6-ply drums (no re-rings) - 9x13/16x16/14x24. I am rockin' the neighborhood today.

And yes, those are 17" hi-hats and my customary 22" K Light Ride. Add a cowbell and I'm ready for a gig ;)

Hope you like the look.

Attachments

• Ludwigs-1-smaller-web.jpg
    Ludwigs-1-smaller-web.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Ludwigs-2-even-smaller.jpg
    Ludwigs-2-even-smaller.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 469
  • Ludwigs-kitchen-frnt-smalle.jpg
    Ludwigs-kitchen-frnt-smalle.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 458
I can't believe that you could even think of playing a Pearl kit after playing that kit!

Do you always play 17" hi hats?

I also have 14 and 15 New Beats but when I go with just the Light Ride, I like how I play with just that and the 17 monsters because they double as a crash if I need it. But sonically, the lower pitches of the 22 and the big hats really blend well into the music. They're plenty loud without that annoying "cut". It makes for a groovier groove.

I know Bob. It's amazing I can go back and forth at all. The mojo is strong with this one.

They're plenty loud without that annoying "cut".

But...but....but.... cymbals have to cut right? I jest. This is so refreshing to hear. I love a good blend.

Look at me, I have a drum kit. Praise, envy and comment on my drum kit.

Oh darn I can't post pics from my phone.

Look at me, I have a drum kit. Praise, envy and comment on my drum kit.

Oh darn I can't post pics from my phone.
Come on now, don't steal Bo's thread by posting pics of a fantastic kit that you own. let's not be vain here :)

... Yes - I still have these even though I'm a committed Pearl guy nowadays. These just have this mojo even though they're from 2013 ....

2013 - OMG, those must be all old and worn out by now. LOL

Don't you dare sell them just to get attention with a new kit - ha ha.

(Just kidding Bo.)

That color must be growing on me. It looks a lot more normal now and the kit still looks great.

2013 - OMG, those must be all old and worn out by now. LOL

Don't you dare sell them just to get attention with a new kit - ha ha.

(Just kidding Bo.)

That color must be growing on me. It looks a lot more normal now and the kit still looks great.

I'm tellin' ya, this blue/olive oyster is memorable because it's either hated or loved. I think it will grow on more people in the future. The one that didn't grow on me is that blue oyster one - I forget what they called it, the black oyster but it was predominently blue, you know that one? Yet people consider that a classic.

Too bad the red tiger stripe didn't take off (but the blue and red agate's did).

And yes, I tend to reach out for attention when I have nothing to do - like wait to be able to eat while the dental work settles in ;)

This wrap is nice... I prefer silver sparkle and I have shared that story in the recent past. But... this is a nice wrap in a different sort of way.

Newish kit of course but funky old bass pedal in there? Tama Camco or cheapo Pearl pedal....?

Newish kit of course but funky old bass pedal in there? Tama Camco or cheapo Pearl pedal....?

That pedal is my equally ancient (along with the snare) Tama Flexi-Flyer from 1976 or so. All I did to it was replace the bearings and the strap with a new Gibraltar one and it was in business! I grew up on old Speed Kings and the Slingerland Tempo King, and while I currently play the new Pearl pedals, I keep this for nostalgia, and the fact that I can still play it. In fact, I just bought a NOS Speed King to go with this kit, so when that arrives, it'll be Ludwig where it counts ;)

I also have a Rogers Supreme pedal that I'm collecting parts for (it needs a new spring and other bits), and that pedal works great too.

But...but....but.... cymbals have to cut right? I jest. This is so refreshing to hear. I love a good blend.

Yeah, I noticed over the years I was getting really annoyed whenever I heard a crash cymbal and it just pierced it's way through the music, totally "over-punctuating", I suppose. Probably for the same reason I've never really been a fan of Maynard Ferguson soloing, or sax players insisting they use a soprano all the time (although I can handle the alto of Bud Shank and Paul Desmond - go figure).

But I guess when everything is high fast and loud (like the Buddy Rich Big Band), I guess it's ok. It still kinda' grates on me, though. As a child I wasn't even aware of an alternative until I heard Tony Williams play with Miles.

And MrMike - my wife came home to a nice baked chicken dinner!

Put me in the "love it" camp, even though I'm not usually a Ludwig guy. Saw one in person at Dale's a few days ago and loved the vibe it projected.

Back