jazz with vibes

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
So i've recently fallen in love with the vibraphone sound in a small jazz setting, and i wanna know some songs/groups that feature a good vibraphonist....

hit me with what you got, anything and everything is good for me.

Milt Jackson is great... try the tune "Bag's Groove" (take 1 or 2 ) from the album with the same name (with miles davis and thelonious monk...).

Buddy Rich had an album called Blues Caravan with vibraphonist Mike Manieri who plays with Steps Ahead with Steve Smith and is in the band L'Image with Steve Gadd and Tony Levin. Gadd also played with Steps Ahead back in the day. Both bands are a bit loud. The Buddy is a nice recording with Creed Taylor at the controls, later founder of CTI records.

Vibraphonist Steve Nelson is on the Dave Holland Sextet live at Birdland recording with Billy Kilson on drums who is now with Chris Botti. He's a great drummer, and it's a great album.

Vibraphonist Mark Sherman album One Step Closer features Joe Lovano on saxophone

If you like Latin Jazz music, there is Tito Puente, and Cal Tjader.

Gary Burton with his quartet or with Chick Corea.

Victor Mendoza is great. Saw him a lot when I did a summer program at Berklee. More of a latin jazz flavor.

Bobby Hutcherson is a personal favourite of mine.
Check out his album 'Oblique' - absolutely phenomenal. Also his work with Jackie McLean is absolutely superb, especially 'Destination... Out!'

Everything that was gonna say has been said.

Steve Nelson, Stefon Harris, Milt Jackson , and Lionel Hampton

ah yea all these suggestions are awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome!!! thanks a lot guys! got so much listening/buying to do!

i have to say i do prefer more modern/4 mallet stuff as opposed to 2 mallet stuff.

and the latin stuff is just killllllliinnnnnn.

vibes are my 2nd favorite instrument now.

You can also check our Dave Samuels who plays with Spyrogyra. He has a band called the Caribbean Jazz Project. A lot of his stuff is more on the popular side; but he has done albums with David Friedman as Double Image. And did an album of Cal Tjader with Eddie Palmieri I don't know if you could find that stuff..

Man, if you go on Pandora and make a station with a vibe player name like Gary Burton or Joe Locke you'll find a lot of players!

If you check out this radio station, It's all Vibes: http://player.slipstreamradio.com/player/slipstream/accujazz/?channel=Channel9&sub=SubVibes
You'll get to audition lots of guys!

Any of the online services like Pandora and lastFM can hip you to lots of cats!

I learn all the time about people. I set up a channel with a well known player and then see who else comes up!

Glad you dig vibes, I do also!! I play them! :)

You want vibes jazz? All you need to do is go to this site and then choose the vibes channel and you have 24 hours of non stop vibes from all the greatest vibes players and albums.

http://accujazz.com/

Go to the instrument channels and the first one listed underneath is the vibes channel. The best jazz site on the net for listening to everything.

You want vibes jazz? All you need to do is go to this site and then choose the vibes channel and you have 24 hours of non stop vibes from all the greatest vibes players and albums.

http://accujazz.com/

Go to the instrument channels and the first one listed underneath is the vibes channel. The best jazz site on the net for listening to everything.

Was going to recommend accujazz before i got to your post, it's a really good site.

Back