comparing two new sets, Ludwig or DW?

I wish Slingerland still made drums. ...would be nice to finally scratch that itch from childhood. I still remember the smell of the brand new set I dreamily admired over the course of many weeks in my local music shop.

Why not just search for a nice vintage Slingerland set then? They are out there, and a shell pack and a snare would probably run you alot less than a new kit anyway (depending on condition). I can attest to finding good used kits and turning them into reliable working kits, and have done that to many different brands - but I'm loyal to Slingerland as those were my first 'real' drums from my childhood.

When I usually do with used vintage kits is stop using the toms mounts, replace the floor tom leg brackets, and maybe replace or upgrade the spurs. Use it as a four piece and put that tom on a snare stand. And voila! Instant reliable working drum kit!

I kick myself for not moving on a purple sparkle Slingerland kit that was sized 14x20/8x12/14x14 with a matching 5x14 snare. It was beautiful and the guy only wanted $1900. The hardware even worked. My loss!

I would rather you go back and compare the Ludwig's with the Gretsch USA Customs. With Gretsch you will get 130 years of experience

+1

Out of those 2 brands I would have to choose the mapex.

Why not just search for a nice vintage Slingerland set then? They are out there, and a shell pack and a snare would probably run you alot less than a new kit anyway (depending on condition). I can attest to finding good used kits and turning them into reliable working kits, and have done that to many different brands - but I'm loyal to Slingerland as those were my first 'real' drums from my childhood.
I almost can't believe it now, *suddenly feeling nauseous* but I actually watched a set of Slingerlands exactly like the ones in the photo I included (you know, *gulp* the exact set I dreamed about as a kid?), except in black and with only 4 toms on stands instead of 8, just sit on eBay for a couple weeks recently. They were described as nearly mint, and the listing said they had been kept in storage since 1981. I asked, and the guy even said he would include the originally paired snare for an extra $200. Matter of fact, I actually still have the link saved. Not sure if I I'm allowed to post the link. ...hmm... If one were to go to eBay and search "321494785937" it would show the exact (sold/expired) listing. ;)
two pics from that eBay listing:
sw8g9w.jpg
2rpv8zq.jpg

Don't think part of me isn't regretting letting those slip by. *sigh*

BTW, leaning more toward Ludwig again. Not sure about wrap choice. Determined to select a wrap finish.

Last edited:
I almost can't believe it now, *suddenly feeling nauseous* but I actually watched a set of Slingerlands exactly like the ones in the photo I included (you know, *gulp* the exact set I dreamed about as a kid?), except in black and with only 4 toms on stands instead of 8, just sit on eBay for a couple weeks recently. They were described as nearly mint, and the listing said they had been kept in storage since 1981. I asked, and the guy even said he would include the originally paired snare for an extra $200. Matter of fact, I actually still have the link saved. Not sure if I I'm allowed to post the link. ...hmm... If one were to go to eBay and search "321494785937" it would show the exact (sold/expired) listing. ;)
two pics from that eBay listing:
sw8g9w.jpg
2rpv8zq.jpg

Don't think part of me isn't regretting letting those slip by. *sigh*

BTW, leaning more toward Ludwig again. Not sure about wrap choice. Determined to select a wrap finish.

Well, to be honest, I ended up a Ludwig guy towards the end, and have owned a few vintage Ludwig kits and now have a 2013 classic maple kit in the blue/olive oyster finish and I love those. In my recent past I owned two DW kits that, some here will attest to, that I admitted that I couldn't get to sound good at all. Other players playing them made them sound great, but I couldn't get on with them. I thought I was lame and tried another DW kit only to confirm that there's something about them I wasn't getting on about.

But a friend loaned me his early 70s Camco kit, (which ultimately became DW in the 80s) and I loved those! I wanted to keep them but he gave them to his nephew. So in the transition from Camco to DW, something changed. But those are great instruments, just not in my hands.

Hey kill, I was in a similar situation a while back. I suppose my situation was a bit easier because I knew I wanted some Ludwig Classic Maples. I even had selected the same Black Glass Glitter finish you requested as well. I got a call the next day letting me know BGG was not available finish option.

I ended up going with the Vintage Black Oyster Pearl finish and I love it!

Somewhere along the way I drifted away from Gretsch because it seemed to be being praised more for jazz, than rock. And I do think I would probably want the rock sound. I have no doubts about Gretsch quality. BTW, like Ludwig, it seemed hard (impossible?) to actually price a set of Gretsch USA Customs without actually configuring a set and submitting that configuration to a dealer. Frankly, I'm stunned at how difficult it is to buy a high end set from Ludwig, for example. No matter how much money you're prepared to immediately spend, you still can't just easily click and buy something. It's unfortunately way more complicated than that.
I'm very conscious of the fact that DW might end up getting my sale merely due to the fact that they have several configurations in my range that I can simply click on to buy. That's intelligent/superior marketing, if you ask me. I honestly feel Ludwig has made it too difficult for a guy like me to buy their best offering. I need something to just click. Surely, I'm not the only one who's been held off by the relative complication of that process. ...Anyway, I've moved past that particular roadblock now, so at this point it's just an observation I made.

I'm not sure where the Gretsch for Jazz thing started but it's way off. There are tons of rock drummers using Gretsch drum and they off as many configurations as any other. They don't have a click to order page but with what you are going to spend you want what you want.

I'm not sure where the Gretsch for Jazz thing started but it's way off. There are tons of rock drummers using Gretsch drum and they off as many configurations as any other. They don't have a click to order page but with what you are going to spend you want what you want.
I found some preconfigured Gretsch packs. Two sets seemed to be priced extra low.
This 4 piece USA Custom yellow (demo) set @ $3,139.54:
357og2g.jpg

18x22" Bass Drum w/ G9013 Spurs, No mount
9x12" Tom w/ GR125 Rims, G5540 Muffler, & G9025 Bracket
8x10" Tom w/ GR105 Rims, G5540 Muffler, & G9025 Bracket
16x16" Floor tom w/ G9021 Legs, G5540 Muffler, & G9025 Bracket

And priced especially low, is this weird leftover "new" 2010 anniversary 5 piece USA Custom black/silver set on eBay @ $3,099.00.
dvq3nr.jpg

Code:
http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=647#features
18" x 22" kick
8"x 10", 9" x 12" tom toms
16" x 16" floor tom
6.5" x 14" 10-lug snare
I'm the type of guy who could warm up to this color combo if I believed I was getting a huge deal. This black/silver set would give me a 5 piece set of Gretsch USA Customs instead of the 4 piece Ludwig Legacy set I have configured. And it would cost me a couple hundred dollars less than buying the 4 piece Ludwig set.

As for non-jazz Gretsch players, Cindy Blackman-Santana, Keith Carlock, Phil Collins, Taylor Hawkins, Stanton Moore, et.al. The list goes on.

Drum selection process:

How many drums do I need/want? What sizes do I want?
Do I have a preference for a particular wood type? Do I want a certain type of finish?
Budget? Do I also need cymbals and hardware?
Would I prefer a specific brand or model?

I'm also looking for the 'extra low priced' Gretsch sets you mentioned - ha ha.

Last edited:
My local drumshop has a Ludwig legacy in black galaxy wrap that is really classy looking.
It is a 20" bass, 12" tom, and 14" floor. Tom and Bass are undrilled. Priced at $2300 for the set.
Maybe you could check out the Black Galaxy and see if it speaks to you-then get the sizes and hdw you want.

I am partial to Ludwigs, but really, anyone top-of-the-line offerings are going to be very nice.
More a choice of woods and construction-( ply configurations etc..).

If you like the sound of the three ply maple/poplar/maple with re-rings, then only the Legacies will do.

I have a maple set and a birch set, they both sound good, but different.

Nice to have all these choices!!

Hi guys....can I put my 2 cents worth in here? Just bought a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit Fab 22 config. 22"x14" 13"x 9" 16"x16" FT in Sky Blue Pearl. Classic lugs, Atlas mounts. This replaced a DW Collectors which I have had and treasured for about 7 years...20"x18" 10"x8" !2"x 9" 14"x14" FT. Now I have kept the DWs so I am in a position to do a comparison of both side by side.

Now I need to preface this with I know that the sizes are considerably different so it may not be a really fair comparison. So bear that in mind.

The Ludwigs sound so much bigger and warmer it is scary. Particularly the floor tom and bass drum. Had them locked in soundwise from the first night I used them. Clear G2s over standard Ludwig resos. That was the best sound I could get with a number of head combinations tried.

The finish, shells, hardware, especially the chrome is flawless.

Now the DWs have been excellent too. No problems whatsoever since the day I bought them. (Cost nearly twice as much as the Ludwigs) Always got compliments on their sound and looks (Broken Glass finish) Now whether I would be saying the same things about a new DW kit in the larger sizes like the Luddies I don't know. Just thought I'd tell you all my experience.....cheers

Back