Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

My unpopular opinions:

1: There are enough shitty drum kits in existence and on craigslist that nobody should ever have to purchase a 'new' starter kit. It's almost ecologically irresponsible to buy one new.

2: Much of the misinformation about kits and their peripherals is intentionally disseminated by manufacturers in order to get drummers to buy more product.

3: 99% of the electronic gizmos consumed by drummers (metronome, effects processors, talkback, monitor, tunebot) should be done with a personal-device (smartphone). It blows my mind that anyone would pay $100 for a metronome or guitar tuner in this day and age.

Number 1 - logical, wish I'd thought of that.
Number 2 - I use my 5 senses to determine product purchases
Number 3 - I do have a metronome and a guitar tuner (stomp box),same ones I've had for years. Do I have to have a smartphone? I don't want one. I don't need one. I was on an electronic leash for years and I am happily free of all that BS.

I hate the meinl logo. I dunno, my artistic senses just disagree.

Maybe it's more because they're not subtle about it.

Hmmm

Each to their own but I cant get into Mongolian throat singing to the rhythm (?) of a twin pedal powered formula one "kick" drum AKA Death Metal.

tumblr_m8lq0938Oc1qjnzzt.gif

21031651:jpeg_preview_large.jpg

Here's one: I think Coltrane is a very overrated jazz musician, and so is Elvin Jones.

I just tried listening to "A Love Supreme" again, and it's still just a group of guys all playing as fast and complicated as possible with no harmony or melody. Just boop-de-boo-de-ba-didda! De bippety-boo-ba-dee-babba-doo!

I imagine such a thing might be interesting live, but man it's horrible recorded. Give me Brubeck & Morello any day over those guys.

Evans makes far better drumheads than Remo.

This thread is brilliant...
Now for mine:
I'd rather listen to more modern bands over "classic" bands anyday.
I don't get the fuss over Bonham. From what I've heard of Zeppelin, he's alright, but nothing special.
I don't like acrylic drums.
I don't like 13" or 15" odd sized toms.
I don't like massive bass drums
I don't think cymbals like Zildjian K's or Sabian HHX's are worth hunreds more than my XS20's (which my drum teacher agrees are just as good as AA/AAX's)
I don't think a drum kit worth 5k is THAT much better than one worth 1k
I prefer electronic drums to acoustic
I love the sound of triggered kicks/drums just as much as acoustic
Cover bands bore/irritate me
The difference between direct drive and chain drive pedals is not that big
The difference between electronic and acoustic drums is not that big
Metal creates a better atmosphere for me than most other music (and harsh vocals are called vocals for a reason, it's not singing in any sense of the word)
Most music in general (including the majority of metal) is boring
I find music nowadays too 'formalised'; there's too much focus on playing 'correctly' rather than playing with passion (says he taking a grade 6 exam on drums, though that's only really to help with my uni application)

That's all for now, I'm sure I can think of more...

I respect Buddy's Technicality...but I dislike his music.

Everything is electric shock(just watch his face and listen to how it feels inside when you hear it)

Where is the breeze?
Where do his toes dig into the earth?
These are sometimes heard...but not without the threat of a jolt from the blue...a texture that becomes mono-chromatic after a while...and as pleasant as electro-convulsive treatment without the therapeutic effect.
Yes there are exceptions...but musical dynamic should not be an exception.

Here comes Buddy...time to dodge the irritating musical machine-gun.

Be-Bop Syndrome....but I'm not so sure he would have developed the technical skills he did without the nature of the music he toured for all those years.

Now THAT is unpopular! ; )

This thread is brilliant...
Now for mine:
I'd rather listen to more modern bands over "classic" bands anyday.
I don't get the fuss over Bonham. From what I've heard of Zeppelin, he's alright, but nothing special.
I don't like acrylic drums.
I don't like 13" or 15" odd sized toms.
I don't like massive bass drums
I don't think cymbals like Zildjian K's or Sabian HHX's are worth hunreds more than my XS20's (which my drum teacher agrees are just as good as AA/AAX's)
I love the sound of triggered kicks/drums just as much as acoustic
Cover bands bore/irritate me
The difference between direct drive and chain drive pedals is not that big
The difference between electronic and acoustic drums is not that big
Metal creates a better atmosphere for me than most other music (and harsh vocals are called vocals for a reason, it's not singing in any sense of the word)
Most music in general (including the majority of metal) is boring
I find music nowadays too 'formalised'; there's too much focus on playing 'correctly' rather than playing with passion (says he taking a grade 6 exam on drums, though that's only really to help with my uni application)

That's all for now, I'm sure I can think of more...

Would it not have been easier to simply put "I dont like music" . Only joking.

One that really, really gets me is people or companies that put the depth of the drum before the diameter. What is that all about?

If you are quoting drum sizes or buying heads you don't say I have a 16" bass drum, an 8" and 9" mounted toms, a 12" floor tom and a 6" snare. Unless you have a toy kit.

While I am on, Its not a kick drum its a bass drum. Why do we always have to be swamped by Americanisms????

Aaaaarghhhh.....rant over.

One that really, really gets me is people or companies that put the depth of the drum before the diameter. What is that all about?

If you are quoting drum sizes or buying heads you don't say I have a 16" bass drum, an 8" and 9" mounted toms, a 12" floor tom and a 6" snare. Unless you have a toy kit.

While I am on, Its not a kick drum its a bass drum. Why do we always have to be swamped by Americanisms????

You seem to have wandered into the wrong thread. This is the "unpopular drumming opinions thread". The "So, what really annoys you?" thread is five doors down on your left, just across from the "Can the P85 strainer cure world peace?" thread.

You seem to have wandered into the wrong thread. This is the "unpopular drumming opinions thread". The "So, what really annoys you?" thread is five doors down on your left, just across from the "Can the P85 strainer cure world peace?" thread.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out Sir, I bow to your superior wisdom regarding what should or should not be in a thread. For the sake of argument you seem to have wandered into moderator territory .

"Kick" isn't an Americanism as far as I'm aware. Agreed on depth x diameter though ;)

Are we talking electric or acoustic, or both?

Your reference point -

Your conclusion -
:)

Americanism?

it is a term that originated in recording studios when taping the console faders so that the bass drum would not get confused with the actual bass they started labeling it "kick"

I prefer bass drum as well and use it exclusively... but "kick" is in no way an "Americanism"

Here's one: I think Coltrane is a very overrated jazz musician, and so is Elvin Jones.

I just tried listening to "A Love Supreme" again, and it's still just a group of guys all playing as fast and complicated as possible with no harmony or melody. Just boop-de-boo-de-ba-didda! De bippety-boo-ba-dee-babba-doo!

I imagine such a thing might be interesting live, but man it's horrible recorded. Give me Brubeck & Morello any day over those guys.

I'm 100% convinced that you did not actually listen to A Love Supreme because almost every song on it is a slow to mid tempo tune ... every one of them is packed with beautiful melody and nothing very complex is being played on that record at all

and I find it strange and ironic that you used the word "complicated" when referring to A Love Supreme and then sited Brubeck as someone you prefer

A Love Supreme is a very simple lovely record

Brubeck on the other hand .... where I absolutely love his music.... went out of his way to make more complex music than was existing in jazz at the time

I think you either don't like or just don't understand jazz.... which is cool

Last edited:
While I am on, Its not a kick drum its a bass drum.

When recording and performing through a mixing console, each channel is labeled using a small piece of white, low-tack tape. There's not much room to write, maybe 1cmx2cm. So instead of writing "Bass Drum" and Bass Guitar", engineers and FOH guys simply label the tracks "Kick" & "Bass", which makes it obvious one track is for a drum, the other for a guitar.

IMO, this is why a bass drum is called a kick drum.

I have heard this rumor: About 100 years ago, before the bass drum pedal was invented by Ludwig, the drum section had one drummer on the snare, one with cymbals, and another on the bass drum. When the bass drummer didn't show, the snare drummer would kick the bass drum. But I doubt this caused an entire legion of whiney guitarists to call the bass drum a "kick" drum.

100610-bass-pedal.jpg

I don't understand the "kick" drum hate. It's way cooler to say my kick drum than my bass drum. Guys from my Dad's generation played a bass drum. I use both terms.

I'm equally as guilty though, I never call my cymbals pies and I never call my drums tubs. Those terms bother me. So I guess we're all even.

I'm 100% convinced that you did not actually listen to A Love Supreme because almost every song on it is a slow to mid tempo tune ... every one of them is packed with beautiful melody and nothing very complex is being played on that record at all

and I find it strange and ironic that you used the word "complicated" when referring to A Love Supreme and then sited Brubeck as someone you prefer

A Love Supreme is a very simple lovely record

Brubeck on the other hand .... where I absolutely love his music.... went out of his way to make more complex music than was existing in jazz at the time

I think you either don't like or just don't understand jazz.... which is cool

Absolutely.

Very little of 'A Love Supreme' is upbeat. If you'd cited 'Giant Steps', I'd be more inclined to understand CoolNames view - but A Love Supreme is anything but upbeat. It's full of melody.

Back