Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Re: What are the best shoes to play bass drum with?

I wear Running Shoes cos they are light, tight fitting and hav a thin soul. If you wear loose shoes u loose a lot of movement. Bare feet are fine for about 10 minutes then u get swaety pedals and wearing only socks is a no go!!!!!!

Drums = Pearl Blx, Double Bass drum kit
Cymbals = Paiste 2002 and Rude
Pedals = Iron Cobras

Re: What are the best shoes to play bass drum with?

you shoul adapt to any bass drum, yeah I'know u are more adapted to ypur own bass drum, but if i'ts about wearing something, try sneakers with not a heavy soles like CONVERSE ALL STARS, (I use them) or a pair that you use to skate, they adapt well to yor feet, or you can practice barefoot like a lot of people

that's your choice only!

socks? barefoot? shoe?

i like to have a sock on for my bass drum...so i can slide it up and down... other opinions? ups and downs?

Re: socks? barefoot? shoe?

i play barefoot when i practice. of course, on stage or something, im not going to take off my shoes.

Haha i always go barefoot on stage, my shoe is too big and wont fit between the pedal things......

I practice / play barefoot. Seems I have a better "feel" on the pedals.

I where Puma shoes with the thin sole for practice and performing.

largo61 said:
I play barefoot at home and socks at gigs. I can't wear shoes. My feet are too big. With shoes my feet wouldn't even fit on the pedal. One time at a gig I put my shoes behind me while I was playing. After the gig I reached for my shoes and one was gone. Someone had moved it behind stage for some reason. I wear socks with holes on the toe.
How big is your foot?

I used to play barefoot but sometimes I'd get a little crazy and end up cutting my foot on something. For those who have feet that don't fit on the pedals, you might want to look into getting some longboards...Axis maybe.

i usually play barefoot at home and converses for gigs

when i wore socks though, i would get holes in them (sliding technique) so I stopped that quick.

don't wear socks if you use slide technique on a pedal with alot of bumpy designs (i.e. the iron cobra or DW 5000s, etc)

I can play either, but I highly prefer shoes, I find playing double bass and doing double's more comfertable.

I wear socks because I better feel to the base drum but if I'm wearing shoes I use them I prefer shoes for double bass

Barefoot here. I have tried to play with socks and shoes but my feet kept sliding off the footboard. I have more control barefoot because when I play I like to have my feet as far up the board as possible. I also squeeze the chain of my pedal between my big toe for more control and more force behind my kick.

Definately barefoot. I perform awesome with shoes on a single pedal, but when double bassing, I have to be barefoot and heel up if I want to maintain power and clarity. Shoes and socks just get in the way for me.

New Shoes!!

Hi All,
Just thought I'd pass along this tip that works for me.
I was in a local department store here in the Toronro area, and I came across these "shoe like" things that I believe are called "water shoes" or something.
Anyway they are like a flimsy, bendable running shoe, and just slip on your foot, but have an elastic lace thing that you just pull tight and lock in place.
The beauty of these things is that they are thin, but have a nice traction rubber sole on them. They were on for $4.99 a pair!!
Just great for drumming in. I now just throw them in my accessory bag, and take them out to gigs. They let me feel the pedals, but are so lightweight, and have great grip.
I recommend them if you can find them in your area.
Cheers
Phil

I tried to do the Thomas Lang thing with fancy shoes, but much like the martial arts, I do my best work without shoes.

However, I have not tried those kung-fu shoes, which are little more than slippers.

Back