Lesson on fast doubles for bass drum foot

Great stuff as usual. I've been working on this subject a lot lately. I still feel like really quick doubles are something I have to think about too much when I'm actually playing. I think I'm working too hard to make the same technique I use for fast-ish doubles work for the really quick ones, too. As with your hand playing, you're stressing using more than one technique depending on speed and dynamics.

I noticed that you have a pretty good angle going on your pedal, whereas mine is more flat. I usually don't worry too much about settings, but in the context of your lesson here, I think I'll go mess with the angle a bit.

This is a fantastic video with very impressive technique.

Sadly, the slide technique has eluded me. I was never a true heel up player and I've never buried the beater. My attempts at the slide seemed hindered because of both of these things.

Of late, I have been intensely working on single BD technique ,(that I've neglected to do for many years) using Matt Ritter's and Michael Packer's heel up style of never burying the beater and lowering the heel when resting as well as struggling with the heel toe technique for faster doubles.

I would LOVE to integrate the slide as shown but sadly, I can't seem to get it going at any rate.

Sadly, the slide technique has eluded me. I was never a true heel up player and I've never buried the beater. My attempts at the slide seemed hindered because of both of these things.

Of late, I have been intensely working on single BD technique ,(that I've neglected to do for many years) using Matt Ritter's and Michael Packer's heel up style of never burying the beater and lowering the heel when resting as well as struggling with the heel toe technique for faster doubles.

I would LOVE to integrate the slide as shown but sadly, I can't seem to get it going at any rate.
Yes, fantastic video indeed! (Like any video Bill is doing.)

I think there is no direct correlation between burying the beater and mastering/applying the slide technique. I can't see why you'd have to start from the buried position or end there. I'm pretty never burying the beater and heel-toe doubles work fine. Also, if you take the analogy to hands - would you start doubles from a "one stick is touching the head/playing surface" position (equalling burying the beater)?

I'm also struggling with the slide technique (while several other techniques are happening fine though) so don't feel discouraged, you're not the only one ;-) Bill's video made me aware of one aspect that I've been neglecting. I think that thing might help me learn the slide. It's having one's heel a bit higher than I thought would be right to do that motion. Bill's video has created some new motivation, haha.

Last edited:
Back