New DW Collector's series

abk

Hey everyone,

I've ordered my new collector's series drums. The specs are as follows:

DW Collector's Series - black ice finishply.

Collector's maple shells

18x22 bass drum (virgin)
7x10 rack tom.
8x12 rack tom.
12x14 floating floor.
5x14 edge snare drum.

3x 9000 series tom/cymbal stands (one for each tom).
9000 series double pedal.
9000 series snare stand.
9000 series hi-hat stand.

I was going to go for an 8x10 rack tom but decided to go for the 7x10, I played both and couldn't really hear a huge difference between the 2. Im going for traditional sizes for the mounted toms and a standard size floor tom. What do you guys think about the sizes? Does anyone on here have traditional size toms?

I was told that I will have to wait around 12 weeks before they arrive. I will post up some pictures as soon as I can.

Very nice kit. I hope you keep it for many years as I am sure it will not only sound great, but be very flexible for many genres of music.

I do have a question for you; why did you get a DW when Brady is closer to you and shipping will likely cost you less? (Please don't take this the wrong way; I do very much like DW.)

GJS

It was actually a choice between brady, yamaha phx or the dw. The main reason why I went with dw was that I never really got a chance to have a good play on a phx or a brady kit in the store, so I went with something familiar that felt and sounded right.. Another selling point was the hardware. I have always loved dw hardware especially their pedals.

DW kits are great, own one myself and trust me, you won't be disappointed with your purchase.

A Yamaha PHX would have been an awesome choice as well, though I don't think you'd get the use out of the Brady. I mean, would you really take that kit to every gig? I guess the same goes with the DWs, but I'd feel easier taking a finishply kit to a gig rather than a lacquered/oiled timber veneer, that will inevitably get scratched up.

Don't get me wrong, Brady's are beautiful kits, and I own a Brady snare (14x5 Jarrah ply) that I use frequently, but I just can't see myself taking such a unique drumkit out gigging every weekend. Definitely a studio/stay at home kit.

Congratulations on your purchase. You have made some well thought out choices (in my opinion) and I'm sure you'll be happy playing your kit when it arrives. Looking forward to the pictures. All the best.

congrads man, i never personally really played a dw collectors kit, but when i did, it sounded like a real rock kit! how much did it set you back?

I have two DW Collectors kits (a VLT Tequila Sunrise and an SSC Blue Glass). Love them! So much in fact, I'm considering a Jazz Series kit in the spring. I'm sure you'll love them too. I also have a Black Ice Edge (but 6x14) -- amazing snare drum!

12 week wait :O i was told 16 week not happy but this is my first opportunity to announce i am awaiting the delivery of my own collectors in super tangrine glass

12 week wait :O i was told 16 week not happy but this is my first opportunity to announce i am awaiting the delivery of my own collectors in super tangrine glass

Specs ?? VLT shells, standard, etc, etc.....

bass 22x 18 tom 12x 10 floors 14x14 adn 16 x 16. as i sed before super tangerine glass with chrome fittings. just need hardware now :p. its an 18th present my nan even loves me so much shes willing to put £250 up for a double bass pedal.

here are a couple of photos.CLick on the pictures to see a bigger version I'll post some more once i work out how to do it properly..
As you can see its a nice looking kit, but it sounds even better!

That's a beaut! Love the finish. Did it come with stock DW heads? I use coated Ambassador myself with a 1/3 of a moongel on the 10 and 12 and full moongel on the 14. I believe the DW heads are Ambassadors with a painted ring like the Evans EC1 so I have always been curious about them.

It came with the stock dw heads. I got a set of coated ambassadors put on because I like the sound and I play with brushes quite a bit. I´ve still got the dw heads too in case I want to switch back. I love my new drumset!

Congrats on your purchase! I owned two DW kits at one time and they were both cool.

I made the mistake of ordering it, and they gave me the whole "12 week wait" thing, so I only put down the minimum, earning the rest by the time it arrived at the shop.

3 weeks later it arrives. Good thing I'm in good standing with American Express!

Post a video of your playing!

Back