John Bonham

Re: John Bonham's Dazed and Confused Riff

I believe its something like s-s-b t-t-b T-T-b T-T-B triplets at a very fast tempo

s being snare
t beign his smallest tom
b being bass

One thing's for sure. Bonzo never played it the same way ever. Actually he rarely played anything exactly the same. So I wouldn't worry about learning it note for note.

---LG

i disagree. its one of his chops he did use often.

ian said:
"I know it means to be alone...." and then more toward the end of the song.

Simple, but it requires lots of practice to implement it so that it grooves. Basically all you do it play the last two notes of the triplet with your bass drum.

1-bass-drum 2-bass-drum 3-bass-drum 4-bass-drum. Play it V E R Y S L O W L Y until it's perfect... set a metronome at 60 and play it like SNARE-BASS-BASS, SNARE-BASS-BASS... until you are comfortable... then HAT-BASS-BASS... etc. Eventually as you gradually increase the speed and pay attention to your foot technique, making sure each bass note sounds equally, you'll be able to use it within a swung funk groove and you'll get that lick down.

which is the correct description but for a chop in the WRONG SONG...''I know it means to be alone...." is from good times bad times.

i think XAkitAX is referring to the chop bonzo pulls out at the end of the washy guitar solo just before the time signature changes back to 6/8.
this chop is found in other places too (the dvd has several views of it)

it is a triplet cross over. between his snare then his toms always with the third strike on the bass.
S-S-B...T1-T2-B...T2-T2-B...T2-T1-B
L.R.....L..R......L..R......L..R........repeat 4 times and then a massive FLAM on the snare.
...........................CROSS OVER

for an alternative on this where the right hand leads the triplets see this video by Gerson Lima Filho...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznQBB9zMF0

It was late.

Too late to give drum advice... or any advice for that matter.

Good Times Bad Times

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!!!! i know this is an old discovery for most folks, but ive seen everyone talkin about good times bad times, but ive never really listened to the drums and i just did and oh my (insert religious figure here) that is the greatest thing i have ever heard... i turned the treble all the way down adn the bass all the way up and i almost had a heart attack, right around 2 minutes till about 2:20 will make any drummer faint.. bonham truely is the best.

Re: Bonham fills

thank you very much do you have any other articles on techniques of other drummers. You see me and this zepplin tribute band are gonna play mobey dick and when i do the solo i want to utalize as much of john bonham technique as i can.

drummajoe said:
thank you very much do you have any other articles on techniques of other drummers. You see me and this zepplin tribute band are gonna play mobey dick and when i do the solo i want to utalize as much of john bonham technique as i can.

All I can say to that is good luck, don't make yourself look like an idiot.

hmm... thanks for that one.

rusmos125a.jpg

j

If your looking for a good Bonham exercise try hitting tom,bass drum,floor tom,hit only one drum at a time start slow and then increase the tempo steadily remember no two drums should hit at the same time I can't. read music or tab so I hope you understand
this is a good exercise for your hand,feet cordination.Bonham was such a feel,groove type player wit a incredible right foot so you really got to have a good meter and i don't. mean metranome I mean enternally. good luck.

Bonzolead

RamboKnife said:
^ Those are some big balls....

Who's going to start it? OK, I'm game.

"Oh, I've got big balls, and she's got big balls" etc. etc.

Bonham fills are not overly-technical nor are they tricky combinations. The impossible part of Bonham fills is playing them like he did, which nobody seems to be able to do. That's what made Bonham so great.

Stu_Strib said:
That's what made Bonham so great.
Great to see you back Stu!
I really don't get that about Bonham... The thing is that I never liked him so much, but you seem to really love him! Maybe I didn't listen to him propperly. What's that special thing he has that I missed?
No mean to offend!!

Well Wile E.,Mr. Bonham would send chills up club owners backs that's why they would not let a band that Bonham was their drummer play,he was one of the first drummers to play their kit with their hands,have a Gong and kettle(typani) drums into a standard 5 piece kit.His groove and style was and still is unmatched.too this day 26 yrs. after his death he is still one of the most influencial rock drummers if not the most of all time.he did so much with so little.have a go at "achilles last stand","moby dick","bonzo's montreux","the lemon song",one of my favorites "poor tom".and when you watched him there is always something cool when you see him try to beat the hell out of his kit on one song and bring a seat and a tamborine to the front of the stage when Led Zeppelin would do their acoustic set(which they were one of the first hard rock bands to do).not to mention the antics that went on backstage.But hey different strokes for different fokes.I always try to find something cool in every drummer famous or not that I hear.at least their not one of those goofy Guitar players(lol).

Bonzolead

'Has anyone figured out how to mimick john bonhams fills. Can anyone help lead me through mobey dick?'

i'm with you man ! i watched moby dick over and over on drummerworld and find it impossible to mimick. He uses alot of triplet fills, that i do know.

Bonham; mind-boggling.

Thomas said:
'Has anyone figured out how to mimick john bonhams fills. Can anyone help lead me through mobey dick?'

i'm with you man ! i watched moby dick over and over on drummerworld and find it impossible to mimick. He uses alot of triplet fills, that i do know.

Bonham; mind-boggling.

no not really

20 characters

Wile E. Coyote said:
What's that special thing he has that I missed?
No mean to offend!!

No offense. I believe the recordings speak for themselves. There really is no need to explain.

yes, i agree with stu. listen to bonzo and then if you can try to listen to a few zep covers and see how, in spite of playing the drum parts correctly, the drummer somehow fails to sound 'bonham'. even try recording yourself doing a few bonham pieces and you probably will hear something missing.
i've made bonham the central character in my drumming for more than 10 years. i do not wish to copy his chops but i do try to emmulate 2 aspects of his drumming:
- his creativity (which is to say that i must be original if i can but approach the new song in the way i believe he would attack it)
- his feel (volume and placement and all)

i listen and have listened to zep nearly every day for the last decade so in a way i judge all other drummers against that backgound...and while a lot of them have more chops i find the feel is not there. some do have it tho. abe laboriel jr is a good exampleof a drummer in this category:
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Abe_Laboriel_jr.html

j

Ok! I guess I'll have to give him another chance! Lol
I'll listen through whatever I find and let you know if my life changed after that... hehehe

Back