John Bonham

my favorite Bonham songs:

1)Moby Dick (i just can't wrap my head around its awesomeness-if that's a word)
2)Fool in the Rain
3)How Many More Times
4)Bonzo's Montreux
5)all the rest...

Favorite Bonham songs (in no particular order)

- Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
- Misty Mountain Hop
- The Wanton Song
- Out on the Tiles
- No Quarter from the Song Remains the Same

spoonracings2k said:
yeah bonzo and moon were great friends.... i remember reading in the richard cole biography on zeppelin he said that moon was on stage and playing the bongos during whole lotta love..... i thought that was pretty neat

haha ya that was i think in tampa....then at the end the explosions went off and almost blew him off his feet...haha...and after bonzo bought that 60s corvette he was showing it to Moon in front of one of the hotels in cali. They were both sitting in the front seats

Welllllllll most people are keeping it to 5 songs or so so I figured I'd do the same. And with Fool in the Rain, it's really really good and I totally think Bonzo is the man, but I prefer Purdie or Porcaro playing that halftime shuffle -- sorry!

EDIT: 10 minutes later and I realize that "Fool in the Rain" is stuck in my head..

Last edited:
KzSgDrummer said:
Welllllllll most people are keeping it to 5 songs or so so I figured I'd do the same. And with Fool in the Rain, it's really really good and I totally think Bonzo is the man, but I prefer Purdie or Porcaro playing that halftime shuffle -- sorry!

EDIT: 10 minutes later and I realize that "Fool in the Rain" is stuck in my head..

i love his playing on that song cause it fits superbly well

Ok I just got my vintage blue/olive badge supraphonic snare in the mail today. (6.5X14). I want that classic Bonham sound. I watched the Jeff Ocheltree video on how tune buts its very vague. I know he said remo emperor coated on the top and ambassador on bottom (is the ambassador clear or coated on the bottom side?) Bonham also used a 42 strand system which I can buy from gibralter. Anything else I need to know about tuning. I think the resonant head is cranked wayyy up and the batter is also cranked but not as high. Will this get me the sound im looking for?

pdp 9091 said:
Ok I just got my vintage blue/olive badge supraphonic snare in the mail today. (6.5X14). I want that classic Bonham sound. I watched the Jeff Ocheltree video on how tune buts its very vague. I know he said remo emperor coated on the top and ambassador on bottom (is the ambassador clear or coated on the bottom side?) Bonham also used a 42 strand system which I can buy from gibralter. Anything else I need to know about tuning. I think the resonant head is cranked wayyy up and the batter is also cranked but not as high. Will this get me the sound im looking for?

First off you want to use a Coated Emperor on the batter side, on the bottom use a clear Ambassador or a clear Diplomat. I am pretty sure Bonzo used clear for the bottom, I have never heard of anyone using anything else. The bottom head should be cranked up significantly higher then the top. The top head should be cranked up high but not to the point of choking the sound. You want the snares to be loose so that you can hear the sensitivity of the snares. You are looking for a nice snarey sound. Sometimes I use a drum dial and to give you an idea my snare batter side is at 90. The bottom is at 100 maybe a little more. You want to make sure you have good seperation between the bottom head and the batter side. Also the way you strike the drum will have an effect on the sound. I would say about 98% of the time Bonzo would strike the snare using a rim shot for power. I hope this helps, enjoy that Supraphonic they are the best!

pcmckay said:
First off you want to use a Coated Emperor on the batter side, on the bottom use a clear Ambassador or a clear Diplomat. I am pretty sure Bonzo used clear for the bottom, I have never heard of anyone using anything else. The bottom head should be cranked up significantly higher then the top. The top head should be cranked up high but not to the point of choking the sound. You want the snares to be loose so that you can hear the sensitivity of the snares. You are looking for a nice snarey sound. Sometimes I use a drum dial and to give you an idea my snare batter side is at 90. The bottom is at 100 maybe a little more. You want to make sure you have good seperation between the bottom head and the batter side. Also the way you strike the drum will have an effect on the sound. I would say about 98% of the time Bonzo would strike the snare using a rim shot for power. I hope this helps, enjoy that Supraphonic they are the best!

Thanks for the help pcmckay! I have a clear ambassador on the bottom (it came with it) and a pretty beat up coated emperor on the batter side (will be replaced tomorrow). I cranked up the bottom and put the batter side cranked but not as much. So far thats correct. And I actually do hit the snare like a rim shot alot. So thats correct. The sound I get out of it is soooo nice and just to think the head on it is a piece of crap! Cant wait to get a new emeperor coated on there tomorrow. I will prob also pick up a 42 strand snare system and yes I keep my snare fairly loose to get that sensativity.

By the way how much usually does a drum dial cost?

pcmckay said:

he used coated ambassadors on the bottom and rim shot 98% of the time? come on now yeah right.

Back