Strange Setups

stogadrummer666

i'm curious, i've been looking through the forums for a while and haven't really posted anything, but i keep seeing drummer with the same setups. I'm not seeing a lot of variance in the set ups. does any one out there have an interesting setup thats out of the norm. i'm looking to make some changes to my 9 piece double bass ludwig.
thanks

a fair observation, there are alot of people who either play jazz or have/use/like a "jazz" setup around here. But it is not hard to find people with other types of setups. I have what I think is a "unique to me" setup but it is a normal Right Handed setup. Four toms with the second tom centered over the bass drum. I need to setup it up this evening and I'll try to remember to take a pic or two and let you see it.

The fact of the matter is, there are some strange set-ups out there that work for those drummers, but overall, there are only a few set-up strategies that make a lot of sense. It's based on ergodynamics, so that we can play for long times, comfortably and and quickly as possible. Thus, other than variations in kit sizes, etc, there aren't going to be a ton of unique set-ups out there...the same is true when you look at the professional drumming community. Sure, one person may use a 4 piece kit with small sizes and 2 cymbals, and another uses a 14 piece kit with huge drums and 20 cymbals, but the basic rules of keeping your drums at the same level, cloes together, etc, are going to be similar in most situations.

per another post, I just got rid of my rack tom. So now I've got just a bass drum, snare drum two floor toms. Not too unusual.

i'm curious, i've been looking through the forums for a while and haven't really posted anything, but i keep seeing drummer with the same setups. I'm not seeing a lot of variance in the set ups. does any one out there have an interesting setup thats out of the norm. i'm looking to make some changes to my 9 piece double bass ludwig.
thanks

What do you consider to be ordinary setup around here? Here are some things I have seen people do:

Put their rides and hats on the same side of the set

Make all toms level

Put all toms close together, including rack and floor

Make the set out of non-Western drums

Use pedals to operate a variety of foot percussion

Have lots of toms but few cymbals

Use different brands of snare, hats and toms

put the hats on the left and bass drum on the right

Make a mini-set that is totally portable

Back