My go to DW kit.

Fred D

Pioneer Member
I call these drums my "Go to DWs". These shells aren't timbre matched or anything fancy. Just some shells that look and sound good together.

I just added an older Keller shelled 14 X 10 rack tom that I found on ebay for a decent price. $250.00 and it came with a Rims and DW STM tom mount,

I'd been thinking about a bigger rack tom for a while now and this looked like a good way to experiment.

The set up is: 12 X 10 and 14 X 10 rack toms mounted on a 22 X 18 kick, and a 16 X 16 on the floor. Snares vary, This one is a Yammie 13 X 6.5 brass.

Not a lot of drums, but a pretty huge sound. I went for a fairly low tuning and the drums sound great. Real deep and punchy. It's kinda cool sitting behind them too. The 14 looks huge on top of the kick.

In addition to the drums in the picture I also have a 20 X 18 virgin kick, 8 X 8 and 10 x 9 rack toms, and a 14 X 14 floor tom.

The set up possibilities are almost endless with this shell pack. Anytime I'm bored with a set up I drag these tubs out, and set up something different. Lot of fun!

The cymbals are Paiste sigs. 14 sound edge hats. 18" crashes and china. 20" ride.

Here's what this set up looks like.

Attachments

• IM000202.jpg
    IM000202.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 712
  • IM000203.jpg
    IM000203.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 714
those rack toms look nice together, nice kit, congrats,

i have debated purchasing a 10x14 rack tom for a while, now i want one, ;)

those rack toms look nice together, nice kit, congrats,

i have debated purchasing a 10x14 rack tom for a while, now i want one, ;)

Go fot it! The 14s sound great.

I'm on the hunt for a 18 X 16 floor tom. Oh yeah, that thing outta rumble.

some very sexy blondes you have there! i've always thought it would be nice to have that many options with the big sprawling kit - what ever configuration you want - you just set up! the DW's look great Freddy, enjoy the awsome kit...

Hey Fred,
I was actually watching that drum. My DW rack tom is 12x14 and I've been thinking of cutting it down to 10x14. I would have had to paint that tom to match. I'm glad it went to a good home. BTW, is the badge like this one?

Attachments

• dw badge 2.JPG
    dw badge 2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 659
Hey Fred,
I was actually watching that drum. My DW rack tom is 12x14 and I've been thinking of cutting it down to 10x14. I would have had to paint that tom to match. I'm glad it went to a good home. BTW, is the badge like this one?

Hi Greg,

The drum has a single black/gold badge. No note or born date stamped inside the shell. Just a serial number. The vent is a little smaller than the other drums. It sounds good with the other toms. Reminds me of the big power sets from back in the day.

It was your kit that got me thinking about adding a 14" rack tom.

Take care.

Hi Greg,

The drum has a single black/gold badge. No note or born date stamped inside the shell. Just a serial number. The vent is a little smaller than the other drums. It sounds good with the other toms. Reminds me of the big power sets from back in the day.

It was your kit that got me thinking about adding a 14" rack tom.

Take care.
I think a 10x14 tom is a great size. What I like is you can still run a 24" bass drum and the tom still fits comfortably. I'm presently looking for a 3-ply Ludwig B/O badged tom in this size. That definitely is a "go to" kit, what with all the different sizes and configurations you can run. See ya, hopefully for real one of these days :)

it is nice to have a kit that can be set up in many different configurations, versatility is great!

10x14 is a nice versatile size rack tom, and 16x18 ft? awesome!

it is nice to have a kit that can be set up in many different configurations, versatility is great!

10x14 is a nice versatile size rack tom, and 16x18 ft? awesome!

Thanks for your comments.

I usually play this kit 3 up and two down, but sometimes I'll set up a four piece with the 20 inch kick.

Gotta find an 18. Big thunder!

Take care

Back