Ludwig, I would like my drums please

To go with what Steve is saying, I talked to the shop that has my BB order from March. They told me again that the BB they ordered 2 months in advance of mine still hasn't come in (they are both identical so they are going to give me that one)....which means that fresh BB orders are running about 1 year now. Sure doesn't sound like they have enough staff.
I'm thinking you should cancel your BB order and buy one online from someone that has one in stock. I just checked eBay and there are between 50-100 available now - many of them brand new. Not sure why you should wait any longer...

To go with what Steve is saying, I talked to the shop that has my BB order from March. They told me again that the BB they ordered 2 months in advance of mine still hasn't come in (they are both identical so they are going to give me that one)....which means that fresh BB orders are running about 1 year now. Sure doesn't sound like they have enough staff.

In Ludwig's defense on this one, it's not a staffing problem. They were having slight plating issues and didn't want to put those shells out, not even as b-stock. The 1-year back-order is unfortunately correct, so any dealer/seller with one in hand is going to be the.best bet for now.

Bermuda

I enjoyed reading through this thread. I'm a business student and these things always interest me.

Huge bummer to get a defective kit... I've only had two small problems with kits that I've bought.

The Sonor Force 3007 I recently bought had some issues with the "swivelability" of the left tom-mount holder, but I busted out a can of spinach and got that sucker where she needed to be.

I also bought a Pearl VSX with noticeable bubbling in the bass drum wrap (In store purchase, my fault for not seeing it.).

I'm in month two of waiting for my new Sonor order... We'll see how that goes.

Assuming you want everything to be legal, the customer didn't actually do business with Ludwig - they did business with a dealer, and that's where the remedy is. There is no legal recourse against Ludwig in this situation, nor is there any against the dealer at this point as things have been described. If Soupy has tried to get a refund from the dealer and they refused, it would be worth pursuing with the appropriate agency. But as far as I've been able to tell, it's just a waiting game right now, and that's no reason to expend time or money with an attorney or anyone else.

Wait for the drums, or ask for your money back. Those are the only realistic, necessary options at this point. And I agree that it's important to post such problems in a forum like this. I never like to see it be Ludwig, but in their defense, they're hardly the only company with long lead times and the occasional quality issue. People take more notice simply because it's Ludwig.

Bermuda

Are you a lawyer, Bermuda? I respect your opinion in terms of drumming, but I don't think you know what you're talking about in this case.
If this guy felt he needed to come here and post, and seek help for this issue, a refund doesn't cut it. That's exactly the kind of abusive behavior consumer laws are there to keep from taking place. He's been without drums, disappointed and frustrated. He should get an integral reparation that covers all the above, both monetary and in the form of an apology. See why he needs to talk with an attorney?
Furthermore, seriously? "Well, the other companies treat customers like crap too!"

Fox.

Are you a lawyer, Bermuda? I respect your opinion in terms of drumming, but I don't think you know what you're talking about in this case.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm a full-time drummer who's dealt directly with musical instrument companies and dealer owner/managers for about 35 years. But I have also dealt with lawyers, and I know when it's time to get them involved. This is not the time yet. I've had a few frustrating, maddening orders, and never, EVER was there a time they needed to be resolved with outside help. I've got an almost 2-year order going on right now, and trust me, getting a lawyer would not be an expeditious or cost-effective solution.

If this guy felt he needed to come here and post, and seek help for this issue, a refund doesn't cut it.

He's not that inconvenienced yet, and as far as I can tell, he hasn't asked for a refund. That would be the first step. If he was denied a refund, and didn't pay with a credit card where he can have them reverse the charges, then it's time to seek outside help, although not necessarily with an attorney at first.

He's been without drums, disappointed and frustrated. He should get an integral reparation that covers all the above, both monetary and in the form of an apology. See why he needs to talk with an attorney?

Understood about the frustration, although you can't sue for that. I believe he's received apologies left and right for the delay, no point trying to extract more of them. Are you suggesting he be compensated, as in paid money because of the delay? If the order was a written contract with specifics like a due-by date and a schedule of penalties for delays (such as with construction contracts,) that would be a different matter.

I'm not saying Soupy shouldn't consult an attorney. I'm saying he shouldn't consult one until he's exhuasted possible remedies with the dealer he placed the order with. I don't believe he's even asked for his money back yet.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Honestly, I posted mostly to vent and get some perspective on the situation, not because I was at my wits end over the situation. And now I know that I'm certainly more patient than most of the people here, and that I probably should be more pushy with my dealer.

Oh, and there is an update on the status. A development, as it were. Ludwig has shipped two drums today. The third apparently failed QA checks. I don't know which two drums have shipped, though. I really really hope that the bum drum is one of the toms. I can live with a bass and a single tom for a bit.

Gonna be pretty pissed if I show up at the music store to find a pair of toms and another 9 week wait.

And now I know that I'm certainly more patient than most of the people here...

If it makes you feel any better, although it probably won't... I placed an order 22 months ago, directly with Ludwig, and haven't seen the drums yet. AND I'M ONE OF THEIR "A" ARTISTS! You think you're frustrated!? I would have killed to have my drums after 9 months!!

Anyway, there's a long/great story, although nobody's business just yet. If anyone's got a beef with Ludwig, it's me! But I do genuinely love their drums, so hang in there I will.

Congrats on getting some action on at least some of the drums. Let's hope both you and I see all of our drums soon!

Bermuda

PS - this delay applies to one particular order, they've been great on everything else. But my frustration is just as real.

Last edited:
I now believe that I am the only person in the universe that hasn't had a real bummer experience with Ludwig products.

The one issue I had, with one add on drum not being the same "black" as my others (which were bought a few years prior) was resolved in just under 3 weeks.

Hope everyone gets their drums and they are perfect!

I now believe that I am the only person in the universe that hasn't had a real bummer experience with Ludwig products.

The one issue I had, with one add on drum not being the same "black" as my others (which were bought a few years prior) was resolved in just under 3 weeks.

Nah, my drums were fine, too! And I hope these guys get them straightened out, for sure!

No, you're not the only one Karl. I didn't have any problems with my Ludwig Classic Maple order. I've mentioned this somewhere before, but I placed the order with the shop I've been going to since the mid-seventies. It took 6 weeks and everything was perfect.

I wonder how many of these problems arise in shipping. I was just starting my online Christmas shopping and I was reminded of the Ghost of Lost or Damaged Christmas Presents Past.

No problem with my Ludwig Classic Maples, either, except for a problem with the shipping company. Ludwig and my shop made it right in a hurry. I also ordered some add-on drums earlier this year and when Ludwig noticed that I had asked for a bracket style they discontinued, they contacted the shop to have them ask me what I wanted to do. When I made my choice, they also sent, free of charge, enough brackets to replace the ones on ALL the rest of my drums so they would all match. That's pretty damn cool.

So my experience has been very good.

I work in logistics in my day job, and I agree that many problems happen in shipping. I think many people would be shocked at the percentage of goods that arrive at their destination with some degree of damage.

My Ludwigs arrived in slightly less than 4 weeks.The kickdrum tension rods were too long to tune as high as I like to. Other than that,I have had no problems ,as of yet.

I think it's Bullsh*t that anyone has to wait for more than a month for anything!

Ludwig is a big enough company with plenty of staff on hand to get those drums made/fixed and out to you in an expediant manor!!!!

Shame on them! I would go directly back to your drum shop and DEMAND my money back!
There are way to many other drum companies out there.... boutique and big production, that would do anything for their customer satisfaction rating!!

SCREW LUDWIG! go by your self a nice Spuan kit or a Brady.

I will GAURANTEE.....you will get treated properly.

Every single persons satisfaction directly effects the survival of their company,... and they know it!

Not to offend anyone I hope,... but I would feel the same about, Tama,Pearl,Yamaha,Preimere, DW, ect. anycompany that would snub me and not treat me like a paying customer!

Oh, and by the way, I'm willing to bet the next kit is subpar also.
Sorry to say that,....but I'm willing to bet.
I also think they are'nt doing anything at all about it,...sorry:(

If it makes you feel any better, although it probably won't... I placed an order 22 months ago, directly with Ludwig, and haven't seen the drums yet.

Really? That's just insane. I've never heard of that kind of a wait....especially for an endorser. I can't believe you've put up with that this long Bermuda. I know you're a Ludwig guy, and I admire your loyalty, but sheesh, how much longer will you wait until you say forget this? You could have grown a tree and built your own drums in that amount of time! :eek:)

I think it's Bullsh*t that anyone has to wait for more than a month for anything!

SCREW LUDWIG! go by your self a nice Spuan kit or a Brady.

I will GAURANTEE.....you will get treated properly.

The problem is, treatment and delivery times don't always go hand in hand. Customer service may be stellar with, let's say, Gretsch, but you still have to wait 6+ months for a US-made kit.

Unless you buy something off the floor, orders take time. I hate to wait a month for anything too, but some things take time whether the customer feels it's justified or not.
Exercising choice is great, although that can also narrow one's choices.

But I do agree that every company should be aware that their end-users determine the company's success and longevity, and should be treated properly.

Bermuda

The problem is, treatment and delivery times don't always go hand in hand. Customer service may be stellar with, let's say, Gretsch, but you still have to wait 6+ months for a US-made kit.

Unless you buy something off the floor, orders take time. I hate to wait a month for anything too, but some things take time whether the customer feels it's justified or not.
Exercising choice is great, although that can also narrow one's choices.

But I do agree that every company should be aware that their end-users determine the company's success and longevity, and should be treated properly.

Bermuda

I "bailed" on a Gretsch kit for the same reason,... was taking way too long!

I placed an order 22 months ago, directly with Ludwig, and haven't seen the drums yet. AND I'M ONE OF THEIR "A" ARTISTS! You think you're frustrated!?

Bermuda
I try to steer clear of too much involvement in these threads so as not to give an overtly partisan impression (although I don't perceive any competitive position with Ludwig), but really, nearly 2 years for anything is just obscene.

Just for more facts, I ordered a BB in July, was quoted a 6 month wait time, and got it in November, with no damage. I ordered online from Interstate Music.

Interstate Music is a fairly big online company, maybe Ludwig gives preference to the bigger dealers who bring in the more cash?

Back